Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest Blue_Beluga

The Feather Bed

38 posts in this topic

Its not Op to avoid them. Its actually a genius mechanic to allow early game progression. Taking that away would be a slap in the face saying 'Sorry, but we dont want you beating this' to every newbie ever. Yes, late game players CAN use it, but in reality, they are doing so so they may get on to what they consider more fun: building that 1:1 scale replica of 16th century London

Beds are not OP. You can do the same just by watching a 10 minute youtube video at night, but that would add false difficulty.

A weaving minigame could be added that is nothing more than clicking a vertical or horizontal row to thread through on a 5x5 grid. Would be simple like knapping, and just annoying enough to give you a sense of accomplishment once completed.

Solution for purpose of tiered beds beyond aesthetic use! Somehow I just no there is a major flaw somewhere either that or Dunk will come in because "Vanilla is just some crazy dream and we won't be" *.

So, step one every time someone logs off they go to 'sleep'. This means the player stays there but in a sleeping position instead maybe with little sleep bubbles or something i don't know. Anyways they can still be beat to death while asleep by mobs or other players. Now with debuffs there must be buffs. In comes the new and improved bed. You can log out while in your bed. Leaf bed will protect you but eventually all of the leaves will blow away and you will once again be at the mercy of the wild. Fur beds last forever but you can be pushed around in them (same with the leaf bed). Straw bed can't be pushed but it will break eventually (why you so fat Steve?). Then normal bed does normal bed stuff. You are unharmable in a bed and beds can't broken by anyone.

Problems

Dunk doesn't like dreams, it may not work and then finally the largest problem people lying on the streets and so forth will cause extreme lag. Easy solution people disappear after a certain amount of time or after the server's moderator says so. Additionally asleep players would not cause chunks to load.

In real life when I go to sleep and someone proceeds to beat me to death, I enjoy the luxury of waking up prior to completion of my own demise. Usually. Not always mind you, but usually.

True story bro.

You don't randomly disappear either unfortunately I can't just make you randomly active in an at all believable manner. Sorry i can't fix everything.

I guess then you have to ask, who am I trying to protect the rights of, the player who is done playing for now and logging off, or the person trying to take his things and in general be a nuisance. If it's a person logging off to avoid reprisal, just add a logout timer like other online pvp games have added. 10 seconds is plenty of time to mess up someone's day if you're nearby and ready to trash faces.

Nice argument, I like but you are omitting something that you brushed over here. Who am I protecting? Those who have played and put more work into the game, know what the heck they are doing, and don't make stupid choices. And punishing the opposite with a daunting enemy worse then anything anyone could code, ourselves. Does this benefit the stupid greifers? Yes and no, they will be able to steal from noobs who have no idea what they are doing and therefore won't have much stuff but at the same time they will probably be stolen from themselves.

we give meaning to a block that is becoming more useless by the minute and continue our survival attitude by requiring just that much more thought. this also would bring another buisness into the game. The hotel.

It may just be due to the fact that it's two in the morning, but I don't entirely understand. What does leaving a killable and thus lootable body behind when you logout have to do with smart choices? All that would do is force me to do the same thing with my bed and body that I do with chests; make a wooden floor or wall and bury them so people that find and explore my house can't find them as readily. This sounds like I'm being told that I should make a vampire dwelling. While legit, I'd rather that when I'm not playing my in game body isn't either. Or some such cal.

I just figured I'd go back a bit and plug small idea about tailoring. Let's say you can somehow get a piece of fabric from processing wool. Then you can place it on the block creating cutting interface which can be opened with shears and looks and operates alike knapping interface. This obviously could serve for decoration as well.

That is why you use the beds sir. If you are in a bed you can't be hurt look at my original post I explained this already. It would be smart to sleep in a bed. Beds are indestructible when someone is sleeping, I'm sure I could explain that but is it really worth it?

I'm for different beds. Especially for early game the normal bed looks really out of place. By having much simpler bedding, you could move real wool-and-wood after you find your first metals, again adding realisticity.

And I would like to add to suggestions:

Leather Rugs: Put 6 leathers together and you will get this simple "bed", just use same way as normal bed. But looks much more primitive and needs only basic materials.

And maybe possible averse effects to using bad sleeping implement would include : waking up with Slownnes, respawning with minimum (1/4th) of health

I'm for different beds. Especially for early game the normal bed looks really out of place. By having much simpler bedding, you could move real wool-and-wood after you find your first metals, again adding realisticity.

And I would like to add to suggestions:

Leather Rugs: Put 6 leathers together and you will get this simple "bed", just use same way as normal bed. But looks much more primitive and needs only basic materials.

And maybe possible averse effects to using bad sleeping implement would include : waking up with Slownnes, respawning with minimum (1/4th) of health

Happily, Dunk has talked about this, and is heavily leaning on the side of adding it. What he is proposing is similar to your idea; a leather cot-type structure that gives you debuffs when you wake because of the primitiveness of the materials used. Colored beds are also being added 100% (huzzah!)

But back on that topic, beds would be a later game item.