Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
killster550

Naval suggestions

103 posts in this topic

now, for another shot at a wonderful suggestion thats probably going to get shot down due to something completely obvious i dont see at the time i post this ;)

so, we want to travel via water, perhaps even find a new island or continent to settle in, and you can bring exactly 1 inventory per player, sheesh, thats a bigass problem for someone that just found his first metal vein and mined it out entirely but doesnt want to sail back n forth (probably getting lost underway too)

i present: a canoe

http://www.canoeing....erminology2.gif

this could carry 2 players in 1 boat (could increase speed if operated by 2 players) or 1 player and 1 single chest in the front seat.

it could be crafted by placing, say, 5 or 6 logs in a straight line on the beach, with about 3 blocks inside a source block of water, and then working it with an axe and knife (GUI like metalworking) or you could even create a docking area where people can work on boats via said GUI, like a forge. you can even craft paddle heads to place on 2 sticks to make paddles to control them better

now, 2 players might be a low amount of players, or you need to transport HUGE amounts of items but dont care how long it takes, i present, the raft:

http://2.bp.blogspot...ft_17999_lg.gif

now i see 2 types of raft able to be built, a raft without any form of sail, which fits up to 4 players, or up to 1 double and 1 single chest, that has to be operated via steering pole, which would be extremely slow (realism IMO) and unoperable beyond say, 4 blocks of depth, and a tier 2 raft with a sail (of wool maybe?) if the Weaving suggestion will ever be implemented, allowing for depth-limitation free control of your boat, according to the winds (which could also be a future implementation, i hope)

of course should your boat crash or sink, so will your items sink to the depths and you will loze any items sinking which would limit players from casually crashing their rafts and canoes into any piece of land and recovering everything directly

also, the seas should be made a bit more dangerous, which would call for stuff like Whirlpools, a hostile ocean mob (minecraft oceans at this point are just dull stretches of water)

and perhaps a change to the swimming mechanic making it harder to swim the heavier your character is (which could be determined through the inventory fullness)

i'm interested to hear you guys discuss or snipe this subject, so, if you remain on topic, fire away :D

oh btw, TL:DR canoe, raft, dangerous oceans, details in post,

Edited by killster550

Yeah, with how much you need to travel in TFC compared to vanilla, it's a real shame that water travel is limited to a single inventory and the buggy simple boats. It might be freakishly hard to code any new boats though, considering how bad they still are in vanilla.

Yeah, with how much you need to travel in TFC compared to vanilla, it's a real shame that water travel is limited to a single inventory and the buggy simple boats. It might be freakishly hard to code any new boats though, considering how bad they still are in vanilla.

unfortunately so, but this should be addressed by TFC if not Notch himself, I've talked to about 400 people about the naval part of minecraft in both TFC and Vanilla (most in vanilla, unfortunately) and ive met about 10 people that were satisfied because they didnt travel anyway, kind of makes me think: NOTCH, Y U NO IMPROVE BOATS! (WOOOOOOOH what if we could implement the naval system of AC3, :D DUNK, GO HIJACK UBISOFT NAOW AND GET EM TO BOAT THE MOD :D )

unfortunately so, but this should be addressed by TFC if not Notch himself, I've talked to about 400 people about the naval part of minecraft in both TFC and Vanilla (most in vanilla, unfortunately) and ive met about 10 people that were satisfied because they didnt travel anyway, kind of makes me think: NOTCH, Y U NO IMPROVE BOATS! (WOOOOOOOH what if we could implement the naval system of AC3, :D DUNK, GO HIJACK UBISOFT NAOW AND GET EM TO BOAT THE MOD :D )

Notch doesn't work on minecraft anymore. He hasn't for the past year...

Yay!! Let's not even try looking for previous threads that are about exactly the same things. Let's not add our suggestions to said previous threads.

You get a thread about boats! You get a thread about boats! You get a thread about boats! Everybody gets a thread about boats!

Posted Image

Yay!! Let's not even try looking for previous threads that are about exactly the same things. Let's not add our suggestions to said previous threads.

You get a thread about boats! You get a thread about boats! You get a thread about boats! Everybody gets a thread about boats!

Posted Image

most threads i've read merely mentioned a boat system, i tried to work out the idea the best as i could, pictures, gameplay implementation, everything.

oh, and i know Notch hasnt worked on minecraft in a year, but it remains his work, he's the name behind it atm, if not jeb ;)

besides, the reason there are so many threads is because everything water-related besides the water itself needs a major overhaul, mobs, travel, everything besides the flowing system :D

EDIT: thanks to Just_another_guy i've removed the double post, now to figure out how to DELETE the post ;)

besides, the reason there are so many threads is because everything water-related besides the water itself needs a major overhaul, mobs, travel, everything besides the flowing system :D

Killster550, could you please read the last line in my signature? Thank you.

Boats need to be like in the zeppelin mod, except in water. I want a houseboat.

Boats need to be like in the zeppelin mod, except in water. I want a houseboat.

No. Just... No... It would break your PC.

I'd like a more functional boat, but it would have to be easier to control. If we did add anything, it's controls would be more fluid and would probably look MUCH better, more boat like. I'd like to see boats that can potentially hold passengers or have storage in them.

PS not confirmed.

food for thought.

Would it be possible to have boats move around through other means than the WASD keys?

I'm thinking, for canoes you'd "use" your oar or paddle or whatever on one side of the canoe for it to go forward and also turn slightly. just like paddling and... oaring? works in real life.

or or or maybe like.. make it so the player needs to equip the paddle and then repeatedly hit the A and D keys to take paddle push on either the left side or the right. taking a push on the right side would make the canoe go forward but also turn slightly left. so in order to go straight you'd have to paddle on both sides equally.

I'm a fucking idiot though so i don't even know if any of this is possible!

Anyway. for sailing ships (i'd prefer small sailing boats though, bigger than a canoe but not a fullblown galleon) it would require an actual wind function and i don't even know of any other mods which has successfully done this!

I'm still a fucking idiot though so if you know of any mods that do add a good working wind function please tell me!

i believe having a fully functional sailboat will require quite a bunch of keys used for maneuvering it.

for example. going forward should require but one tap of the W key to... eh.. unfold? the sail which will then catch wind (granted the wind is in your favour) and drive the boat forward. hit W again or S to... agh fold? (i know no salty sea language) the sail.

A and D will trickle the rudder and turn the boat right and left just like your regular vanilla boat.

And then comes the little more advanced stuff concerning sailing.

Now what would you do if you're way out in the sea, trying to get back, and the wind is blowing the opposite way of where you're heading? screw it all and follow the wind, build a new place? wait for the wind to turn? Dude! no! you conquer that fucking wind and perform a trick that sailors have been doing for ages literary! you start zigzaging your way across the ocean! it's called tacking or going about and here's the wikipedia on it. http://en.wikipedia....g_%28sailing%29

This is something that could be possible only through a really good wind function. so before adding sailing boats i think the wind should be thought upon first!

I'd like a more functional boat, but it would have to be easier to control. If we did add anything, it's controls would be more fluid and would probably look MUCH better, more boat like. I'd like to see boats that can potentially hold passengers or have storage in them.

PS not confirmed.

Dunk... that would be hell on the collision calculation side. even more if you consider Torque

Would it be possible to have boats move around through other means than the WASD keys?

I'm thinking, for canoes you'd "use" your oar or paddle or whatever on one side of the canoe for it to go forward and also turn slightly. just like paddling and... oaring? works in real life.

This would be pretty interesting, hit A or D to paddle once, hold down the A or D key to place your paddle in, slowing you down and turning you slightly towards the direction your paddle is in the water. Paddle a few times to pick up speed with a paddle every now and then afterward to maintain it, dip the paddle a few times on each side to slow down. Would work with kayak and small canoe type boats, either of which you could house a small inventory for travel purposes if needed I suppose.

Sailing seems like it would be a much more involved thing to add, not even taking into consideration all the crafting bits that would need to be added. The small canoe would be as simple as carving out a log like someone else posted ages ago, and a paddle crafted from a plank of wood above a stick or two on a crafting table.

i believe having a fully functional sailboat will require quite a bunch of keys used for maneuvering it.

for example. going forward should require but one tap of the W key to... eh.. unfold? the sail which will then catch wind (granted the wind is in your favour) and drive the boat forward. hit W again or S to... agh fold? (i know no salty sea language) the sail.

A and D will trickle the rudder and turn the boat right and left just like your regular vanilla boat.

This sounds a lot like how Ultima 4 and/or 5 handled boats and therefore I approve.

Although if you guys can figure out how to give me a boat that won't break the instant is so much as looks at the shore line that would be great.

This sounds a lot like how Ultima 4 and/or 5 handled boats and therefore I approve.

Although if you guys can figure out how to give me a boat that won't break the instant is so much as looks at the shore line that would be great.

currently in vanilla it does seem to me like the boats break when they actually would've broken had it been in real life!

protip. don't go fullspeed when you're about to dock.

Also @ Redundantusage.

for constructing the canoe you could place three logs next to eachother in the crafting bench and put an axe ontop.

seems a wee bit too simple i think so maybe not. maybe there should be something more required to construct a canoe.

currently in vanilla it does seem to me like the boats break when they actually would've broken had it been in real life!

protip. don't go fullspeed when you're about to dock.

Also @ Redundantusage.

for constructing the canoe you could place three logs next to eachother in the crafting bench and put an axe ontop.

seems a wee bit too simple i think so maybe not. maybe there should be something more required to construct a canoe.

What really bothered me about boats is that they used to break wehn going towars lilypads... i loved swamps, but i was fordibben from navigating through them due to this. I think it was fixed in vanilla, but still... there are f+cking squids -__-

What really bothered me about boats is that they used to break wehn going towars lilypads... i loved swamps, but i was fordibben from navigating through them due to this. I think it was fixed in vanilla, but still... there are f+cking squids -__-

yeah the lily pad issue has been fixed. squids however have not.

I've become very nervous when resettling and looking at all the squid on the horizon. originally I was trying to travel light to minimize losses if I died, but I've decided I'm carrying a couple logs, a saw, and a crafting bench with me.

Could always just petition Bioxx or Dunk to change it so a full speed boat hitting a squid kills the squid, which seems much more likely than your boat exploding. Unless the boat is made of paper mache.

I hate to break it to you, but a 1 meter boat hitting a 2 meter object is going to crash and burn. boats are very delicate devices. larger ships are designed to take on larger collisions, smaller ships are not.

source: That raft I effed up

In game, I want you to place 5 plank blocks and then sprint at them full speed and see what happens.

I want you in real life place a 2x4 between two sawhorse's, stand 2 meters above it and jump down.

I want you in real life place a 2x4 between two sawhorse's, stand 2 meters above it and jump down.

You mean like

?