Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
killster550

Naval suggestions

103 posts in this topic

Meters, not stories you dumbarce ;P

(and thus, another topic dies)

The boat is built from 5 blocks of planks that are a meter cubed in size. A cubic meter of planks probably has more resistance to being broken than a two by four hanging out on some saw horses. Also, comparing things in game to an obviously differentiated situation in real life is like ignoring Steve's currently estimated mass of more than dark matter.

the boats dimensions are far less then the input items. the walls of the boat are less then a 10th the size of a cube, and due to vanilla systems continue to drop amounts of wood that do not constant as they should. Personally, outmoding vanillas boat for a physics craft style system would be beneficial. Or, alternatively a longboat item made from logs. Chisel/hammer used on 3 blocks length logs set end to end on the side would carve out the log. Once its finished being carved out, mining any part of the structure drops all three parts as a longboat. Shift clicking the boat would open up its personal inv, right clicking either the front or the back end would allow you to board. Placed on land, it places as actual blocks, placed in water, it is a boat entity. Naturally, there would be a boat for each tree type.

to be fair however, boats like this are stoneage tech. we need more stoneage tools. a stone chisel would be a wood only variant of the metal ones that can work stone.

You mean like

?

No, I think he meant

No, I think he meant

CHA-CHING!!

CHA-CHING!!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

http://www.bing.com/...5F0&FORM=IDFRIR

And you thought no one had the patience to do that did you?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

http://www.bing.com/...5F0&FORM=IDFRIR

And you thought no one had the patience to do that did you?

That was child's play. You should see the spoilers Dunk put when I put a meme of him. (He doesn't like the dunk meme) He put 1024 spoilers.

well looks my topic derailed bigtime while i was gone, back to the boats, so far im hearing canoe would be probable, (really liking the paddle with a and d system someone posted) but sailing wouldnt be, havent heard a single discussion about the raft however, whats your opinions on that? it'd be a 4 block square floating plank thing, able to fit multiple players or chests, controllable like the canoe would be, but not on deeper ends (since a pole only goes so far into the water ;)

That was child's play. You should see the spoilers Dunk put when I put a meme of him. (He doesn't like the dunk meme) He put 1024 spoilers.

814 ;)

814 ;)

Oh? I thought 814 was what YOU counted, but Dunk put 1024, a power of 2.......I am confused.

Instead of mobile multi-block structures, the addition of entities that RESEMBLE multiblock structures as well as the ability to place such structures in the world(like the bed) would make for a nice feel. Personally, I am against a wooden plank raft and want to gravitate to native American styled boats

Oh? I thought 814 was what YOU counted, but Dunk put 1024, a power of 2.......I am confused.

there is a limit to the amount of spoilers you can use in a same post. That being 814.

there is a limit to the amount of spoilers you can use in a same post. That being 814.

Really? Wow...JAG, PhD in Memes AND Forum Rules.

Instead of mobile multi-block structures, the addition of entities that RESEMBLE multiblock structures as well as the ability to place such structures in the world(like the bed) would make for a nice feel. Personally, I am against a wooden plank raft and want to gravitate to native American styled boats

they already did something similair with the sluice, but it'd be unrealistic if one would be able to fit a frikkin raft inside his pocket like so many things, there needs to be a limitation like that you have to shape it out of a log you place on a riverbank or sumthing like that.

also, rafts WERE part of the native american heritage, they were great for going down rivers with increased amounts of people or payloads, a canoe was usually used for single or 2 person hunting/scouting parties, while rafts were the bulk transports (kind of like bikes and cars ;)

(also, love how we're continuing the topic while the others try their best to derail it)

they already did something similair with the sluice, but it'd be unrealistic if one would be able to fit a frikkin raft inside his pocket like so many things, there needs to be a limitation like that you have to shape it out of a log you place on a riverbank or sumthing like that.

also, rafts WERE part of the native american heritage, they were great for going down rivers with increased amounts of people or payloads, a canoe was usually used for single or 2 person hunting/scouting parties, while rafts were the bulk transports (kind of like bikes and cars ;)

(also, love how we're continuing the topic while the others try their best to derail it)

just like JAG said....Find the meaningful material amidst the azardous discussion..

'one would be able to fit a frikkin raft inside his pocket'

I can fit a literal mountain in my pocket. The boat is nothing when compared and we must consider gameplay on this matter rather then realism or believability.

the kind of raft your going on about is made of planks. The stuff I am going on about is made from raw material.

well the first type of raft was made from logs tied together with rope, but which raw material are you referring too? besides, sure you can fit a mountain in your pocket, but thats gameplay neccesary, having a raft in your pocket is unneccesary if you can already fit a boat in there, its supposed to be an upgraded version of the boat, it'd be logical you'd have to do something different in order to make it feel like an upgrade, which would include making it a bit harder to carry around.

your going on about planks ;P

or was... lol

the big question here is 'Why difficulty'

there is NO reason to make difficulty in a game. Difficulty for the reason fo difficulty hurts a game. difficulty due to design is good gameplay. most of the time this is true.

seeing the direction that bioxx is taking with the weight and size of things, obviously a raft/canoe/boat should be extremely heavy and large! still possible to carry around in your "pocket" but fuck that pocket would be full.

yea, if anything boatlike gets implemented, it either should follow my idea of craft on a special site, making it resource heavy (like in that DS series, lost in blue) or make it fill up more than a few slots in your inventory, making sure you cant get an inventory full for your village somewhere, and just sail off with 34 canoes strapped to your back like some russian soldier

Crafting a canoe should be like I said: Place 3 logs into the world lengthwise, using your tools strip/carve it out. when finished, 'Mine' any part of it and it drops a canoe item which if placed in the water is a entity, when placed on another block is block structure. In your inv its 'heavy and huge'.

if it is to take up multiple slots we would need to make an entire new inv system. thats something that is a ways off.

perhaps a wood carving system could be devised in the future like the chiseling, which'd allow for canoes, a shitton of wooden structures, and even the rafting, it could all be carved :D besides, canoes used to be shaped with long tedious sessions of scraping one whole log into the right shape, it'd be wrong to be able to craft it somewhere without the carving :D

I'd absolutely love an inventory tetris, for items, but honestly, a canoe would never fit in your inventory no matter how illlogical you wanted to make it, no amount of stretching makes that make any sense, I'd like to have a system where you could physically move objects in your hands, across your back, or with the help of another person, don't expect it, but I'd be very happy if it happened.

well, that'd make for interesting bow and weapon equipment but that'd make it too RPG-ish, i'd like to see another way of chiseling coming up, called wood carving, using some tool or another, allowing you to do the exact same as a chisel does, (just figure out what to do with the smooth part) which would allow certain carving combinations to be turned into a canoe if some secondary circumstance is met to prevent you from using the shape in buildings. i for one would love to see a docking shack with a canoe stuck on top, rather than just a docking shack with our oh so known tiny floating pieces of tinder

Whooooooo! boats!

First off, canoes would be awesome, but there should be "upgrades" available, as in adding an outrigger for extra stability and a sail for faster movement. This would end up with a canoe similar to what was used in the pacific by some of the tribes as they began to populate the many islands of the pacific.

After that, a much more expensive and larger dugout canoe could be made, this would hold several players or chests. These would be similar to the Maori migration canoes.

Another tier could be made as the first true "ship", the viking/norse single masted ships often powered by oars, this would hold several players and a fairly large amount of storage. Would move faster with multiple players working oars, but can be solely wind powered and maneuvered by a single player (albeit rather clumsily).

Just a few ideas, I'd love for sloops as well but that is out of our time frame. Oh, and these should most certainly be entities similar to the current boat, blocks would require far too much in the way of code, yes it means no customization, but I don't think that is very necessary in this situation.