Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ThinkTank

Fireplace/Hearth Multiblock

23 posts in this topic

A suggestion for a multi-block structure, the hearth or fireplace. This is mainly an idea to connect with previous ideas on the forum about temprature, cold and taking damage/slow effects from getting to cold. It also takes into account a more advanced cookery and brewing.

Function:

• Primary - fixing or increasing the temprature of a X/Y/Z block of the world for a long period.
  • Secondary - cooking food faster or with greater efficiency than a firepit
  • Tertiary - can be used to brew like a cauldron/brewing stand.
Construction:

Posted Image

firestarter/flint&steel on the log pile activates the multiblock GUI. This turns the log pile into somthing like this:

Posted Image

possibly it could also create a more shaped fireplace mouth, but not a necessity.

Posted Image

somthing like this for the GUI, the secondary slots being for pans (food) and pots (liquids), much like a hammer is required for an anvil.

Considerations:

• No longer allow food to be cooked in forges, trying produces a generic 'burnt/spoiled food' item.
  • Require a metal grill (baking) or metal pan (cooking) to be added to the GUI to activate the cooking function.
  • Require a ceramic pot (stews) or metal kettle (brews) to be added to the GUI to activate the brewing function.
  • Cannot be used to heat metals or be used in forging, but doesnt burn up wood as fast as a firepit or forge.
  • Of course its true purpose is only really effective if cold/winter conditions were dangerous to the player.

I can see a fireplace structure being added later on as an ascetic choice. but as far as functionality go's, thats either a ways off or not happening at all.

For the sake of diversity of cooking and opening up the realm of using a pot for stewing/boiling, I love this. Unfortunately I think ECC may be right, probably won't be a focus anytime soon. Still given my like though.

Can't we just leave the firepit as is and just make it require ventilation aka a chimney. I agree with your tweaks though cooking in the forge is ridiculous. Pots, pans and spits should happen eventually especially with the new meals however I don't know how soon.

Can't we just leave the firepit as is and just make it require ventilation aka a chimney. I agree with your tweaks though cooking in the forge is ridiculous. Pots, pans and spits should happen eventually especially with the new meals however I don't know how soon.

the idea is to provide an upgrade from the firepit once the player has moved up from log cabins and mudhuts and starts building in stone.

It also would be a fire heat source that doesnt chew through wood as fast as the firepit, so you can keep it burning far longer befor you'v deforested half the map. To counter this benefit, it wouldnt be able to reach tempratures that can smelt metal, but rather it would be used for food and brewing (and of course keeping you from freezing to death in the winter, but world temp is a whole other issue).

While smoke, as a finite liquid block with its gravity reversed, might be intresting, I believe its already been mentioned elsewhere.

This must be added. Everything in the OP is oozing with perfection.

I can see a fireplace structure being added later on as an ascetic choice. but as far as functionality go's, thats either a ways off or not happening at all.

'Ascetic' probably wasn't the word you were looking for... but I generally agree. I really like the idea, but it seems even more aesthetic than my sandwiches suggestion.

the idea is to provide an upgrade from the firepit once the player has moved up from log cabins and mudhuts and starts building in stone.

It also would be a fire heat source that doesnt chew through wood as fast as the firepit, so you can keep it burning far longer befor you'v deforested half the map. To counter this benefit, it wouldnt be able to reach tempratures that can smelt metal, but rather it would be used for food and brewing (and of course keeping you from freezing to death in the winter, but world temp is a whole other issue).

While smoke, as a finite liquid block with its gravity reversed, might be intresting, I believe its already been mentioned elsewhere.

i love the smoke flowing upwards suggestion! especially if it can be finite so that it would fill up a house if a chimney is not provided.

Also i think it could provide the player with a much larger area that is being heated than the firepit. just as another good reason to build one!

I remember when notch said Minecraft would have smoke...

so many unfulfilled dreams. lol

I remember when notch said Minecraft would have smoke...

so many unfulfilled dreams. lol

Hey, there is smoke in minecraft!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnY4WMK0Pi0

Minecraft has smoke.

Hey, there is smoke in minecraft!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnY4WMK0Pi0

So you need a generator to have smoke... really? -_-

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.

Smoke that SUFFOCATES YOU!!!!!!

I wonder if Dunk saw this, Id love to know his opinion on this idea.

+1. I like this suggestion. Everyone loves fireplaces.

I think we'd have to rewrite too much code to make this appealing to us.

not if you use the cheaty way and butcher the portal code. at least thats the logical method. Or creating a new kind of fire block that serves to only add that 'fireplace' touch

how about just copy-paste all the forge code and add in the grilling part and add in the temperature differences and add in the aesthetic look and.... never mind, its too much code :D *gives dunk another cookiehammer to use on this thread*

not if you use the cheaty way and butcher the portal code. at least thats the logical method. Or creating a new kind of fire block that serves to only add that 'fireplace' touch

I would prefer stuff to be functional, but as a purely aesthetic block I'd agree that a portal code re-write that replaced the log blocks with a new animated 'burning pile of logs' block when lit with a flint & steel would do it.

Indeed you could simply make log piles in general turn into 'burning pile of logs' blocks when lit on fire in any situation. Quick textureswap code or the like.

Depends if the devteam would be intrested in spending time on this sort of feature if it lacked function.

Engine>Function>Aesthetics

yeah, i dont see this actually happening yet.

I would prefer stuff to be functional, but as a purely aesthetic block I'd agree that a portal code re-write that replaced the log blocks with a new animated 'burning pile of logs' block when lit with a flint & steel would do it.

Indeed you could simply make log piles in general turn into 'burning pile of logs' blocks when lit on fire in any situation. Quick textureswap code or the like.

This would be enough to make me happy, and leave the more detailed functionality for later (i.e. never).

Why so much talk about it being simply aesthetic?

It does serve a certain function, if belivability is something you care about.

Here's a rather easy to implement idea for a fireplace:

Change the way that a firepit looks like, so that it resembles a pile of logs (You put logs in it after all. Sticks are only ment to start a fire.) rather then a burning plate on the ground. For cooking, add a frying pan/grill/pot/couldron to it, either as a block above the firepit or similar to how a quern works with its base and top thingy.

And turn this into aethestical fireplace by simply putting stone around it that doesn't do anything.

Grilling meat in a forge is fine with me and could be left alone, but I can hardly imagine cooking soup in a temperature that melts iron.

Another cool idea could be a bread oven, or what ever you call that in english.

Similar to a forge but enclosed and requireing iron bars or some such.

Too be honest, the more structures that serve a function the merrier. I always disliked how in vanilla minecraft buildings are just empty spaces with eventual workbench-derivatives.

I think this would be a pretty cool idea. Could be used as a way to mass produce some hot meals maybe? But a cauldron in one of the slots and add ingredients to cook? maybe instead of 4 ingredients and a knife. 4 ingredients, a cauldron, water, and a lit fire? Make a soup or something? When they burn give them a forge texture? give 4 meals instead of 1? Just throwing ideas out here.