Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
LordOfWolves

Poisons topic

56 posts in this topic

'touching poisonous plants should poison you'

no. NO NO NO. just, no. Not everything is like poison ivy. Many plant based poisons are due to ingestion, and have nothing to do with contact(excluding fluid-fluid contact) even then generally poisons take some time to start effecting the victim

GENERALLY, does not mean always. there are MANY exceptions.

I need to specify when a leaf cuts you, you have a chance of being poisoned.

i feel like i'm repeating myself.... and also moving deeper into the general potion making area but... just add a whole bunch of different herbs in the world. fictional herbs i tell you and let me tell you why.

If the herbs and their effects are unheard of in the real world the player cannot go on to wikipedia and learn all about it.

have the recipe work like meals and the only way for the player to learn anything about the effects of the potion he makes is to simply have a go at it! no i don't think the player should be able to take a quick "sip" if he really wants to try he must chug the whole thing (i should also mention that no poison be strong enough to kill players in one blow)

Or just try it out right away and see what it does to the animal.

problem with this seemingly randomized and anonymity of the herbs and their potions? it might get a bit confusing to have a whole lot of potions in a chest and don't know what their effects are.

possible solution to this could be different colours (also randomized) to the various potions. so that the player need to memorize the effects and their colours every new world.

And then you write a book about it to remember!

Herbs and Potions for Dummies.

i'm on-board with the blowgun&darts. but I dont quite get the metal rings thing, the woody reed material will deteriorate faster than the metal regardless. (would there be stone rings or ringless be the equivalent of stone ones? blowguns dont necessarily need metal)

Instead of spider eyes, venom glands make more sense, eyes would only have goo, nerves, & blood, neither of which is really a toxin.

Poison from rats, just doesnt make sense. Their bites are historically harmful due to contagion, but bacteria & virii are NOT poisons.

I could see armor protecting you from a plant that was thorny and/or imparted its poison via sharp leaves or thorns etc, but for something like poison ivy/oak/sumac it would only serve as another surface to get the oil on and get on you anyway via contact transfer. Some poisons should get through armors entirely (as in a dust the plant gives off)

Maybe a linen face protector would be useful for traveling in the jungle rather than a helmet? I dont know.

And then you write a book about it to remember!

Herbs and Potions for Dummies.

This is what I do when I cook and search for efficient smithing patterns. I like this idea is a whole.

But the thing with plants is that they can't help but looking alike with some plant from wikipedia. And when they do so, person who knows about plants, starts to imply.

I actually think that when player go to see what an encyclopaedia says about thing he encountered, it is a good thing. In the end, I learned a significant starting chunk of my English dictionary this way.

This is what I do when I cook and search for efficient smithing patterns.

You make a book called Herbs and Potions for Dummies?

You make a book called Herbs and Potions for Dummies?

I think he just meant make a book...not one called Herbs and Potions for Dummies. I also use it for good meals.