Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
jayliu1984

Is there a purpose for this mod?

99 posts in this topic

That's commonly known as slow growth rate, Wolf... Look at it this way: consider the size of a human cells, and imagine a guy who grows at a rate of 200 cells every month.

you guys forget spumwack and his equals, making more and more videos, adding more and more youtubers, and if antvenom EVER does a mod review of TFC, the influx of new players would increase tenfold

But doesn't the part with using mine-carts, booster, double mine-cartswith infinite momentum and other things about mine-carts are completely non in the theme of TFC and should be removed?

I won't travel by horse or a cart if I have mine-carts with booster..

Infinite momentum cart thingies aren't working since about beta 1.8. And furnace carts are quite buggy, so yeah. But I actually feel like we need means of transportation in mineshafts anyway, so why not minecarts? Horses in mineshaft are even sillier than what you're talking about.

Infinite momentum cart thingies aren't working since about beta 1.8. And furnace carts are quite buggy, so yeah. But I actually feel like we need means of transportation in mineshafts anyway, so why not minecarts? Horses in mineshaft are even sillier than what you're talking about.

wrong, or you didn't understand me.

putting 2+ carts on the same rail and pushing them will cause them to go non stop. (played with it yesterday a lot).

We don't even have furnaces in TFC so yeah, they are out.

Cart are good, but they should probably disable the boosters, and fix the carts in general (which is minecraft responsibility).

Maybe by adding a hand carts:

Any metals from copper and up should be useable in making rails and a form of locomotion be implemented besides boosters, such as a hand cart.

Posted Image

For funsies, you could make the handcart only go at half speed or require twice the fatigue to operate unless you have a second person. ;)

I think that the only solution to the "purpose" question, is creating a TFC equivalent of CivilCraft. A huge, but limited map in which people simulate real societies, with no rules other then no-cheating and what people with enough manpower to enforce what ever they desire.

A Singleplayer equivalent would be implementation of advanced NPC's that would behave realistically, mining, building, farming, wood-cutting etc. with additional events that could keep the player occupied with expansion of his NPC domain or rather with keeping it alive between the zombie swarms and stuff like that.

Personally, such NPCs would make my day until the end of days. :P

All I have to say is just play. It's hard to speculate about endgame material for a game that's still in development. I'm sure Bioxx is not thinking about endgame, rather about the next thing he wants to add in the game to fulfill his gameplay goals. If you're looking for challenges, there are plenty in TFC. If you think it's easy and you haven't played, how about actually trying to play it instead of speculating. Can you survive in TFC with stone tools? Sure. Can you survive in Vanilla with wooden tools? Yes. Were talking about surviving, and while that is a main aspect of TFC, it is a much more complex thing than that. The simple survival in Vanilla is dwarfed by the complex nature of survival in TFC. To me, it's fun.

I've played Vanilla for almost 3 years. I've been to 'The End' once. I thought it was dumb. So to me (and possibly many other), Vanilla MC has no goals except the ones you make for yourself.

Well, i've read the 3 pages of post.

And yes, i love TFC because it's much harder to survive than in VMC.

But, i miss a purpose, a "why do i survive ?"

At firts, when you start playing TFC, the firsts nights are frightening. You need time to have a nice shelter, and much time to have iron tools. (I didn't achieve that goal yet...)

But then, when you have that nice shelter and good tools, what do you do ?

You say "make up your own goals !"

So here is my goal :

i'd love to explore, i'd love to found villages or ruins of ancients civilisations.

And most of all it will be an incredible purpose to have the opportunity to attract NPC in a village you made from nothing. And so, start up your own civilisation....

But : it's not implemented yet.

So i settle villages, it's a long work. And it's sad because no one will ever live in those villages.....

A kind of purpose like Pakislav's one or Dante80.

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO ASK THE SAME QUESTION, AND I THEN SAW THIS THREAD!

To keep it simple, why do we have so much armors, and basically no difficulty progress?

Posted Image

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've seen this much armors in Terraria, and that game has an excellent game progress!

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO ASK THE SAME QUESTION, AND I THEN SAW THIS THREAD!

To keep it simple, why do we have so much armors, and basically no difficulty progress?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've seen this much armors in Terraria, and that game has an excellent game progress!

What is in the picture?

It sure not TFC armors, but far beyond that.

In TFC we have 6 tiers and with each next tier you can fill the difference (for the tools at least, the damage system is still in progress so swords and armors are gonna change)

A Singleplayer equivalent would be implementation of advanced NPC's that would behave realistically, mining, building, farming, wood-cutting etc. with additional events that could keep the player occupied with expansion of his NPC domain or rather with keeping it alive between the zombie swarms and stuff like that.

Personally, such NPCs would make my day until the end of days. :P

There won't be any complex NPCs for TFC from its devs. Someone can write additional mod for this in Millienare style, but as far as I can tell, bioxx will not agree to have it in his mod. While mod is in beta at least.

What is in the picture?

It sure not TFC armors, but far beyond that.

In TFC we have 6 tiers and with each next tier you can fill the difference (for the tools at least, the damage system is still in progress so swords and armors are gonna change)

That's one of TFC texture files. You should go and look for yourself, there's a lot of stuff that isn't present in TFC in any way for now. I don't know why we have all this, I guess just because it was drawn just 'cause.

That's one of TFC texture files. You should go and look for yourself, there's a lot of stuff that isn't present in TFC in any way for now. I don't know why we have all this, I guess just because it was drawn just 'cause.

Maybe we have this because Bioxx already drawed the sprites to not draw them in the future.

I just extracted terraarmors.png from Bioxx folder in one texture pack. I didn't actually look in armors folder.

And still, 6 tiers is much. Why would I need 6th tier, when I can kill zombies and skellies with tier1 or tier2?

I just extracted terraarmors.png from Bioxx folder in one texture pack. I didn't actually look in armors folder.

And still, 6 tiers is much. Why would I need 6th tier, when I can kill zombies and skellies with tier1 or tier2?

The game is still in dev and you can't know if Bioxx is going to add the most powerful drake of all the times, then to make you safe you should use the tier 6 armor :D

Yeah, I'm here to support the idea of adding a game progress. It's already hard per se, now if the gameplay and progress was added in such fashion, I'd be delighted!

Hi, I am very interested in this mod and right now I am just playing stock Minecraft. Terrafirmacraft is the mod I been wishing MC to become ever since I played it a year ago.

However, there is one thing that really irritate me about TFC, there is no purpose.

Shouldn't there be an end game like the ender dragon in MC? Or an ultimate goal for all the trouble we go through to do more than just surviving?

I can imagine a sinario like in Cast Away, I need to survive and find enough material to build something so I can go home.

Or like in MC, survive and find material to launch a journey to defeat ultimate evil?

I havn't played TFC yet, but it seems surviving is not that hard after a while.

reading your post. First few lines I was like :)

then I read "purpose" and I was like "D:<" FUCK PURPOSES. THE PURPOSE IS TO SURVIVE. YOU CAN'T WIN AT LIFE.

People this mod is early development you can't expect us to have all the content yet. We are missing a huge a mount still and I'm sure Bioxx knows that and is working hard on it. These armors will undoubtedly be necessary for new enemies that we will face in the future which are just yet to be added. Have patience please. Seriously why would he add them for no reason? That doesn't even make sense.

The next person to say "where is the purpose?" I will spam your message inbox with my speeches on why there shouldn't be a purpose.

then I read "purpose" and I was like "D:<" FUCK PURPOSES. THE PURPOSE IS TO SURVIVE. YOU CAN'T WIN AT LIFE.

Now we're going into a philosophical derailment... here it comes... just wait for it

Now we're going into a philosophical derailment... here it comes... just wait for it

That is not a philosophical question. Anyone who says it is - talking out of his arse.

People this mod is early development you can't expect us to have all the content yet. We are missing a huge a mount still and I'm sure Bioxx knows that and is working hard on it. These armors will undoubtedly be necessary for new enemies that we will face in the future which are just yet to be added. Have patience please. Seriously why would he add them for no reason? That doesn't even make sense.

The next person to say "where is the purpose?" I will spam your message inbox with my speeches on why there shouldn't be a purpose.

Wow!!! What's going on here. If you don't like suggestions, you don't have to be rude about eh. Geee, relax...

I am not questioning the purpose of this mod (the purpose of the mod is to provide fun for players). I am merely saying that there should be a purpose for each in game mechanics/items. Or, the game should promote players to use those mechanics/items.

Take MC for example, there is no incentive for players to go out at night when one is trying to survive, or build a huge castle full of traps because the mobs are not smart/strong enough.

So if the mobs are actively hunting for you, the player is forced to come up with ingenious trap designs, fortes etc to suvive.

As for TFC, I am saying if it can implement something that would give the player the sence of urgency/necessity to mine/build stuff. In other words, harder game (but not in making the item harder to find way)

oooh you have no idea the amount of hellgate you just unleashed upon yourself :D purpose 3 times in 1 sentence, besides they'll add stuff to do non stop until bioxx and dunk give up (which, IMO, would take longer than to get Justin bieber to make a good song, yup i totally went there, DERAIL TIME!)

Pressure gives an adrenaline boost, and thus, interest.

Not saying that is the only way to get interested of course.

I just like this mod, it took simple MC things and made them HARD.

Now, I'd just like to see this mod to do with everything that MC has to offer, and perhaps more.

I'm just praising the idea of TFC, and hoping for it's continuation in such fashion!

(which, IMO, would take longer than to get Justin bieber to make a good song, yup i totally went there, DERAIL TIME!)

You are completely right, no one sane will question that statement, neither from the mod's creators capabilities side, or from the Justin Bieber's tendence to make every single song a bad one side. So yeah... if you wanted a derail on that, you still need to learn a lot about derailments.

I just want to have lots of places to see, to visit, to fight in, to conquest, to survive in shortly. And a lot of features to use, and a lot of wars to fight in SMP, and a lot of civilizations to create... in the end, i want to be able to closely represent human history in MC with this mod :3

Not sure if that's the direction they are taking, but i'm happy with what's already added.

Wow!!! What's going on here. If you don't like suggestions, you don't have to be rude about eh. Geee, relax...

I am not questioning the purpose of this mod (the purpose of the mod is to provide fun for players). I am merely saying that there should be a purpose for each in game mechanics/items. Or, the game should promote players to use those mechanics/items.

Take MC for example, there is no incentive for players to go out at night when one is trying to survive, or build a huge castle full of traps because the mobs are not smart/strong enough.

So if the mobs are actively hunting for you, the player is forced to come up with ingenious trap designs, fortes etc to suvive.

As for TFC, I am saying if it can implement something that would give the player the sence of urgency/necessity to mine/build stuff. In other words, harder game (but not in making the item harder to find way)

don't argue with game devs.

That is not a philosophical question. Anyone who says it is - talking out of his arse.

Here's the problem with purpose:

Life does not have a purpose.* Why should a game?

*(If you think it does, well then that's your issue and something you have to live with yourself, but it has nothing to do with the rest of us.)

(feel like I should've quoted more people...)

If you want a drive to build and prepare and repel intruders, why not play a TFC raid server, you'll basically get everything you just asked for, sans traps as nothing like that has really been implemented yet, beta and all that.

Really dunk, THANKS FOR THIS! I never got, why mojang had to include the end... Make your own goals, it's a sandbox game.