Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deez

Early power systems

107 posts in this topic

Now I know a lot of this already exists in other mods, but as this is more of a "total conversion" mod then I believe it's alright to propose some of the following.

Some cool things that we could have are some of the early uses of power generation that exist in the real world such as; water, wind, solar and geothermal. Water and wind mills could be created to process wheat into flour. Mirrors could be used to harness solar power and lava could be used as a powerful heat source to smelt with.

Edit: In addition lava and water could be used in conjunction to produce Steam.

Edited by Deez

I think a few mods have done "ages" or similar things. It would be a lot of work, but if TFC had the option to build a windmill or geothermal power sources disabled until you progress further annd unlock the knowledge...

I like how Age of Empires did it, where you bring an amount of materials to your Town Center before being able to progress.

I am definitely down for this as I am hoping for some kind of steam punkish aspects of the game (It just makes more sense to me than redstone honestly).

on the lava note that was my first remark on hearing about TFCraft was 'I hope I can place a furnace near a lava flow and have it provide the heat'.. then I was told there are no more furnaces :D

What we would need to define though for these types of system are more of what you can do with the system, how do you build the system what would be the hurdles to jump.. When the topic comes up I actually refer people to Better Than Wolves as they progress from Manual to Wind to Water (and I never play it long enough to go farther than that). Its kind of like what we have right now with Flint to Stone to Bronze to Steel for our "ages".. We should come up with a better thought out set of ideas for mechanical progression and actually detail how they fit in with what TFCraft already is and has already been announced to be going toward

That kind of makes me wonder what 'era' the Thief games took place in. I guess the dark ages but with a nice steampunk touch and a bit of electricity here and there. I don't know how complex it would be but I think some modification of the redstone system to be an electrical system would be a tremendous addition. I was never too keen with redstone being an indefinite power source from a simple torch or lever that's turned on. But that may be a little to much for now. Maybe in the future when this becomes a plausible idea, talk a bit with eloraam about the blutricity system and disable things like the redstone torches and change how levers work(?). This might be too much to think about for now though.

But I think this is a good time to bring up the methane harvesting from the compost idea.

im pretty sure there is a steam power idea that is floating around that i think would suffice as an early power system, burn charcoal/coal. also we do have metals like copper that can carry a current, how about wires made from the metals as a redstone replacement. but if thats the case, steam would then be skipped straight for copper wiring, just a base suggestion

im pretty sure there is a steam power idea that is floating around that i think would suffice as an early power system, burn charcoal/coal. also we do have metals like copper that can carry a current, how about wires made from the metals as a redstone replacement. but if thats the case, steam would then be skipped straight for copper wiring, just a base suggestion

You couldn't just skip steam actually. A steam powered generator would use copper wire to run to your lights or other 'electrical' tools (once we can make lights, they should have a life on them I think till they burn out).

Motion is how electricity is generated. WE need wire and spinning magnents.. The most common way this is done however is via steam. Even nuclear plants are just used to boil water (violently :)) to spin turbines and such. Non-Steam powered generation are things like windmills that use the air for the motion and the tidal generators that use the massive water flows like damns to generate power. (Even geo thermal is used to boil water). Lastly would be solar... Out of all of them, steam seems to be the most fitting for minecraft, even though its a common day technology.. we may not be steam engine, but we are steam powered :)

Yup, I live about 10 miles away from a massive steam plant actually.

Edit:

Stumbled across this - http://www.lignite.com/ - energy from this mineral that's already in the game. Haven't read into it yet but it should be interesting.

You couldn't just skip steam actually. A steam powered generator would use copper wire to run to your lights or other 'electrical' tools (once we can make lights, they should have a life on them I think till they burn out).

To tie-in this with burning out torches and adding gas lamps, add a craft able socket attached to the wiring that allows you to place some kind of early light bulb as if you're placing a torch, but it can only be placed on the socket. As for torches going out and bulbs burning out, there wouldn't have to be an interface to know when they'll burn out because IRL you're not able to. The only one that'd have an interface would be the gas lamp for refueling.

(Even geo thermal is used to boil water). Lastly would be solar...

Fun fact: there's even a kind of solar energy that works by focussing the light into a tower, that heats water into steam for some turbine to convert into electricity. It's even more cost effective than direct solar to electricity.

Actually, have you people noticed how much this suggestion sounds to "reimplement redpower technologies into the mod"? Wouldn't it be easier to make alternative recipes for some of the components, similar to how "better than buildcraft" works?

Hmmm we would have to over-lay an electrical system in the code similar to buildcraft's fuel system and redpower2's blutricity system. I think. Eh my brain may melt if I think too much on that right now.

Sooo ummm can I suggest LIGHTNING RODS MUAHAHAHA. >x3 and possibly Tesla tech?

We have Copper. We have Zinc. We have clay. We have lemons.

...Bioxx, y u no batteries

EDIT:

sidenote, speaking of lemons. I want to craft them with saltpeter and sulphur to make a thrown weapon. For science.

HA! Cave Johnson reference right? :P

Yessir

Also woot, 100th post

AWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHH B)

I, uh... I might be the only one who wants to keep the technological advancement limited to what was available in the dung middle ages.

Well that was an interesting read, but did you notice it's in a category called 'Out-of-place artifacts'?

Point being?

Fact is, no one really knows 100% either way. The only hard facts about them are the mythbusters experiments at the bottom, which listed all suggested uses as plausible.

Good episode, lol. They shocked the crap out of Adam, he was NOT amused XD

Point being?

Fact is, no one really knows 100% either way. The only hard facts about them are the mythbusters experiments at the bottom, which listed all suggested uses as plausible.

Good episode, lol. They shocked the crap out of Adam, he was NOT amused XD

Point being it might not be a good idea to add something that might become a cornerstone of the mod because of its potential usefulness when normally it's not nearly as relevant in the context of ...semi-primitive survival? ...I remember the shock scene clearly, because I it was a huge jerk move...but I don't remember the rest of the episode. :U

Point being it might not be a good idea to add something that might become a cornerstone of the mod because of its potential usefulness when normally it's not nearly as relevant in the context of ...semi-primitive survival? ...I remember the shock scene clearly, because I it was a huge jerk move...but I don't remember the rest of the episode. :U

Hey, which is more likely? Ceramic batteries or the walking dead?

Now tell me which is in the game already

...see now, these could actually... be a finite-duration replacement for redstone torches when they're removed :3

Hey, which is more likely? Ceramic batteries or the walking dead?

Now tell me which is in the game already

...see now, these could actually... be a finite-duration replacement for redstone torches when they're removed :3

I'm going to go with the walking dead, by leaps and bounds, since I've read volumes more about them than ceramic batteries. It only makes sense that they would be in my games instead of crazy, ancient experiments no one knows about. :U

I'll admit that, as a gameplay mechanic, what you've just suggested sounds nice. ...I'd still prefer less electricity and more pulleys and winches, and levers. Man-powered mechanisms.

I'm going to go with the walking dead, by leaps and bounds, since I've read volumes more about them than ceramic batteries. It only makes sense that they would be in my games instead of crazy, ancient experiments no one knows about. :U

I'll admit, as a gameplay mechanic, what you've just suggested sounds nice. ...I'd prefer less electricity and more pulleys and winches, and levers. Man-powered mechanisms.

Agreed. But... redstone is still obtainable in-game. Unless bioxx plans to remove it, I think a baghdad battery - or SOME kind of placable but limited power source - should be implemented in place of the eternal thermodynamics-defying redstone torch

i think things like this would be interesting as you would not stop so early and you could keep going into the modern age all within a few weeks of single playing and a few days (depending on amount of people) on a server. and it would add alot more to minecraft survival and the difficulty and if you dont like it you dont have to go that far =)

I think Bioxx is still trying to beef up early game so I doubt a true electricity system will added for a while. But i guess you never know.