Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deez

Early power systems

107 posts in this topic

Additionally I was referring to coding even if this to be eventually implemented (I'm not sure but I doubt it) as this is way low on Bioxx's priorty list.

As I said in another thread, word from the top is that we won't get anything from the past 400 years.

So unless it was invented by 1600 AD, we ain't gonna see it here

hey i dont mean to sound rude here but unless i hear it from a developer im not gonna believe it just my way of stopping rumors or false information from spreading you could be right but again not trying to be rude

hey i dont mean to sound rude here but unless i hear it from a developer im not gonna believe it just my way of stopping rumors or false information from spreading you could be right but again not trying to be rude

IIRC - it was said by Bioxx and Dunk in IRC.

Additionally I was referring to coding even if this to be eventually implemented (I'm not sure but I doubt it) as this is way low on Bioxx's priorty list.

? if hes coding pipes( id have to wait and see what they are like) then he could do the same thing he did there only instead of water it would have power and it would look like wire and agian im not asking for much just simple generators to lightbulb deal.

also srry for the double posting all the time i dont get you stuff untill after i post the first one

IIRC - it was said by Bioxx and Dunk in IRC.

if thats the case im done fight for this topic see you guys in another thread

if thats the case im done fight for this topic see you guys in another thread

Well you're just a charmer eh?

I was just trying to be informative and provide a bit of explanation as to why he said what he did... o.O

I was just trying to be informative and provide a bit of explanation as to why he said what he did... o.O

And you succeeded rather admirably.

Not your fault he can't seem to be polite about taking his leave

While I agree full automation is overpowered, I don't think that steam power/mechanical power should be a token mechanic for luxury, I want to see it get just as much love as agriculture is getting now.

And you succeeded rather admirably.

Not your fault he can't seem to be polite about taking his leave

? i hope your not talking about me? if so again i did not mean to sound rude i was just saying that since bioxx wont be adding anything then there is no point in arguing for it looking back i did sound a little rude this is why i try to put emoticons when im talking on the internet. again i wasnt trying to sound rude

Strangely enough yea, emoticons definitely help convey tone. :)

The most primitive power system we would find useful is probably a waterwheel, followed closely by a windmill. Mechanical power for grinding wheat or powering some form of sawmill is about as basic as you can get.

Y'all may not like BetterthanWolves, but those ideas were decently implemented there. I'd like to see something similar for the early game in TFC. (Gives those of us who can't find ore to save our lives something else to do for a bit :P )

Neither of them needs to start out as grand affairs either; the 'power output' could increase as you improved the devices.

I agree 100% with the above post. Can't +1 on iPhone but I will when I get to my comp.

Mechanical power from wind and water has been used for a long time, I think that works. We could use watermills you grind wheat and works bellows,and windmills could do something similar. in the absence of wind and water, animals could be used to turn a crank for your grindstone/forge. I think that'd be rather cool ^_^ .

But really? Electricity? -_-

I would prefer if this mod kept it's primitive feel instead of our towns turning into modern cities. Once you get going down that path, you can't stop, and this would turn into a more realistic Industrial Craft. Yes, I do think that would be cool, but that's not what this mod is. This is a better minecraft, not a minecraft with extra stuff, which is what IC2 and redpower are.

Edit: Excuse the placement of this post, it is responding to the posts on the page before this.

Mechanical power from wind and water has been used for a long time, I think that works. We could use watermills you grind wheat and works bellows,and windmills could do something similar. in the absence of wind and water, animals could be used to turn a crank for your grindstone/forge. I think that'd be rather cool ^_^ .

But really? Electricity? -_-

I would prefer if this mod kept it's primitive feel instead of our towns turning into modern cities. Once you get going down that path, you can't stop, and this would turn into a more realistic Industrial Craft. Yes, I do think that would be cool, but that's not what this mod is. This is a better minecraft, not a minecraft with extra stuff, which is what IC2 and redpower are.

Edit: Excuse the placement of this post, it is responding to the posts on the page before this.

Oh! The animal mill! I forgot about those. :D

I agree with the electricity thing; however, I would like to see steam power as the eventual "end-game" of TFC, especially as it is eventually intended to have a steampunk flavor :)

Stop lumping Redpower with ic2 and buildcraft! Redpower is a carefully constructed set of building blocks to complement the vanilla ones. With a little tweaking, TFC and RP could be extremely powerful and fun. But yes, electricity is a little much (for now)

dont mean to sound rude here (its hard to transfer emotions through the internet) thats fine and dandy for you id just like to see something a little more advanced, all the things we need are here. things that you see in IC2, no thanks but early power like the suggestion said would be nice plus oil lamps would require you hunt fatty animals or a new or which would make it harder and harder to get were as power from a windmill or watermill wouldn't be that bad.

continuing from watermills it would be nice to include that into the mod for founders and more advanced metal making

I totally agree with you.

I would like to make some mechanism automated but with some level of restriction.

A windmill or watermill would be very welcome, perhaps some of the functions already in TFC like making flux could depend on this. Also wind/water powered bellows... The possibilities are limitless...

entirely off topic, but has anyone else here ever listened to Dark Side of the Moon while watching the star gate sequence from 2001: A Space Oddessy on mute?

Your shoulders turn into jello.

...I swear to the gods that I'm not on anything, but that combination of media must have some kind of effect on the way your brain processes information. I sound coherent right now, but I'm staring at each individual key as I type this, because for some reason it's difficult for me to pinpoint them. I'm typing at like one word per minute.

entirely off topic, but has anyone else here ever listened to Dark Side of the Moon while watching the star gate sequence from 2001: A Space Oddessy on mute?

Your shoulders turn into jello.

...I swear to the gods that I'm not on anything, but that combination of media must have some kind of effect on the way your brain processes information. I sound coherent right now, but I'm staring at each individual key as I type this, because for some reason it's difficult for me to pinpoint them. I'm typing at like one word per minute.

...Wha...?

...Wha...?

fucks with your head man, try it

use 2 tabs with youtube

changelog of v38: added lever with the new cobblestone forms... hm... does that mean he'll keep redstone? maybe some kind of statement bioxx? :D I feel like someone needs to make a decision here because many opinions here are technically valid and make sense, however not all of them will be realized (maybe none, you never know)

So I'm even more curious what bioxx will do now than before.

changelog of v38: added lever with the new cobblestone forms... hm... does that mean he'll keep redstone? maybe some kind of statement bioxx? :D I feel like someone needs to make a decision here because many opinions here are technically valid and make sense, however not all of them will be realized (maybe none, you never know)

So I'm even more curious what bioxx will do now than before.

Ah, but is that not a part of the generated interest? The possibility that your idea is rejected, and the joy if it does get implemented? I think if an official statement was made, then it could stamp out someone posting an idea in the future that would sway minds one way or the other. The speculation makes people's minds race with new ideas which only give more directions for Bioxx to work in. I like how he does things now. Maybe a pre-release gets info put up before it's actually released, but the only concrete answers are things like "Beta 2 is an agricultural update". It makes imaginations run wild on things agriculturally related, and he may get a community answer to a question of his without even asking.

As for early power systems, I dunno about steam/electricity/redstone and all that, but I would love to see animal powered things. Like make a cow power a mill by attaching a harness and making it walk around it, or pull a plow through some farm fields. Latter would only really make sense if you needed to re-plow after harvest, of course.

As for early power systems, I dunno about steam/electricity/redstone and all that, but I would love to see animal powered things. Like make a cow power a mill by attaching a harness and making it walk around it, or pull a plow through some farm fields. Latter would only really make sense if you needed to re-plow after harvest, of course.

I have 1 problem with this.

IRL, animal-driven farm equipment (like plows) were a huge advantage because doing it by hand was tiring and may I say backbreaking work (I had to help my dad dig up the topsoil in our back yard the other week and I STILL have the blisters); using animals eased that burden. However, Steve can till an entire square meter of earth in just a split second with no effort or forethought, so what need does he have of an animal driven plow?

I have 1 problem with this.

IRL, animal-driven farm equipment (like plows) were a huge advantage because doing it by hand was tiring and may I say backbreaking work (I had to help my dad dig up the topsoil in our back yard the other week and I STILL have the blisters); using animals eased that burden. However, Steve can till an entire square meter of earth in just a split second with no effort or forethought, so what need does he have of an animal driven plow?

To be honest, the plow idea was because it was the only other animal powered idea I could think of at the moment. I was more thinking of the mill idea for taking animal power and making it mechanical power. A player would only be using it by pushing a bar attached slowly (because of the effort) in a circle over and over. If they used an animal, they could let the animal take care of it and meander off to do his own thing. Would keep the mechanical energy coming as long as the animal was taken care of. Could go into a whole animal-powered clockwork idea starting from a basic use of spinning a mill for making wheat into flour.

So I guess I was more thinking animal power branching into clockwork? Or maybe just wanted to talk about clockwork? I dunno my head is starting to get fuzzy. I should probably stop dawdling around here and go to bed.

Ah, but is that not a part of the generated interest? The possibility that your idea is rejected, and the joy if it does get implemented? I think if an official statement was made, then it could stamp out someone posting an idea in the future that would sway minds one way or the other. The speculation makes people's minds race with new ideas which only give more directions for Bioxx to work in. I like how he does things now. Maybe a pre-release gets info put up before it's actually released, but the only concrete answers are things like "Beta 2 is an agricultural update". It makes imaginations run wild on things agriculturally related, and he may get a community answer to a question of his without even asking.

LOL I might have overreacted a little bit there (too late at night) ^_^ And yeah, I agree that bioxx handles all this very well, I'm just so fricking curious what he's gonna do :D Maybe he'll use the levers for the water pipes he was talking about vaguely earlier...