Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ditto8353

Complaints

25 posts in this topic

I have seen more complaints starting to make their way onto the forums. Well sometimes this is good, because it helps to point out things that perhaps the developers overlooked, or perhaps an error in the code is causing unintended things to occur. However, these complaints seem to be just that, nothing more than complaints about the way the game works and/or the direction that the developers are taking the game. It is very disappointing to see these sort of posts, especially considering the labor which goes into the often-thankless task of creating such a mod.

I would like to present a few helpful hints to keep you from making yourself look like an ungrateful cnt.

Use phrases like "I think" and "I believe" because stating that "Finding copper is too hard," makes you look like a child whereas "I believe that finding copper is too difficult because..." makes you look at least reasonable.

Don't say things like "That mod does this and it's really fun. You should add this," because this is first and foremost the child of Bioxx and the niece of Dunk. Ultimately it is entirely up to them as to what will be included and which direction the mod will go in.

Be polite. It will take more work to be polite on a forum than it does to be polite in a normal conversation. This is largely due to the lack of tone of voice and body language. If you take the time to make sure your post is polite then you will in turn be met with a much more pleasant response.

So you're a casual player, but you like the complexity that TFC adds to the game so you want to play it. You have an issue with something in game, perhaps finding a certain metal is too hard, or keeping a wood/food supply is too hard for you. Well here is an MLG-Pro-Tip: Everything is way too damn hard the first time. Just ask for help, ask how other players do it. Ask for tips and tricks or tutorials. If all else fails, you can use Not-Enough-Items to spawn yourself a small farm at the start of the game.

But sometimes something is simply just too hard, but the experienced players will be able to notice these, and they will point them out. They have a much better feel for the balance of the game than you do. Just keep playing until you get a good feel for the game, then you can bring us your opinions.

Edit: This is really me venting more than anything. You think people could be a little more reasonable. It is very frustrating. It is reassuring to see 'Like's on posts like these.

Couldn't agree more. I love the challenge of this mod and the direction that it has taken. The challenge is all part of the game. I mean seriously. Having to find all of these different ores keeps you exploreing and discovering new areas and designing new ideas to help find new ore veins. Everyone on my server that has tried this mod greatly enjoys it. There are no complaints as to how "hard" it is to find everything or keep things stocked. I like a challege in a game like this. Vanilla Minecraft was getting to "Creative" for lack of a better term. It seemed that as soon as you acquired a decent supply of Iron everything was quite easy and didnt require much effort. After some debate with my Vanilla Server players We decided to opt for a TFC server instead, there were a few aggervated people but oh well they didnt play much anyways. My players enjoy the new challenges and hardships of this mod. It's actually rewarding again to find iron. When a new player comes onto my server everyone pitches in to help them learn the mod, easy ways to do things, and how to survive, and the new players latch right onto it and start taking off. After the initial learning curve of this mod, the part where people complain that it's "too hard", people begin to develop strategies that help them survive and quit complaining from what i have found.

You have a server? *pokepoke*

Anyways, I know what you mean. I started to get bored with VMC when I realized I could get several stacks of iron blocks in one night and never have to do much work after that.

Good advice. It does seem a bit odd for someone to wander into a hard survival mod and complain it is too hard.

And like most, I came here after I had long given up on vanilla survival being any sort of challenge at all.

Good, you followed my idea. First in my list.

A second complaint upon complaints. PLEASE people mark your topics as SOLVED so that way it makes it easier for people that are having problems to find information on what they could be doing wrong.

You have a server? *pokepoke*

Anyways, I know what you mean. I started to get bored with VMC when I realized I could get several stacks of iron blocks in one night and never have to do much work after that.

Yes I have a server. Right now it's invite only however but we are looking to start growing but i'm not opening it up completely to the public by any means. Its running on a custom PC that i designed for my Vanilla Server that i was running.

Good advice. It does seem a bit odd for someone to wander into a hard survival mod and complain it is too hard.

And like most, I came here after I had long given up on vanilla survival being any sort of challenge at all.

Right?!?!?!? It's designed to be harder than minecraft then you want to complain that it's too hard? really? *heres a pacifier and theres a corner* lol

I think some people are installing this mod for the new features that it offers and maybe not realizing that it is a more challenging mod. Personally I love the challenge and I would be greatly disappointed in this mod if they made things "too easy" like VMC.

A second complaint upon complaints. PLEASE people mark your topics as SOLVED so that way it makes it easier for people that are having problems to find information on what they could be doing wrong.

Guy, you're new but you know the rules. +1 Also there was a topic made by Bioxx or Dunk about this. ;)

Its running on a custom PC that i designed for my Vanilla Server that i was running.

Posted ImageMuch respect, my fellow builder.

Guy, you're new but you know the rules. +1 Also there was a topic made by Bioxx or Dunk about this. ;)

My clan has a forum and its kind of just common sense to mark something as solved when you resolve and issue. Its just common forum etiquette.

Posted ImageMuch respect, my fellow builder.

Only way to go, I will never buy a desktop made by some company again. Lost my face on a dell laptop years ago.

Only way to go, I will never buy a desktop made by some company again. Lost my face on a dell laptop years ago.

Good man! My dad built my very first computer when I was... I want to say 12. He taught me how to build them and I have been doing it ever since.

*Is left speakless by the post. Positive votes quota: reached already. So he just... claps. Again and again. Slowly, the crowd (which apparently always appears in the thread when i enter it :P) Starts to clap too*

Posted Image

Why is Hitler-Cat in the background of that picture?

Why is Hitler-Cat in the background of that picture?

Because Hitler-cat was ruling the cat world, but then the other cat (Let's call it Freddy), the one that said "Beautiful", saw the future and he saw also the suicide of Hitler-cat. For this he says "Beautiful". Also Hitler-cat is in this image because he was trying to kill Freddy because Freddy saw the future and Hitle-cat didn't want Freddy free to say the suicide fact to everyone. Explained well? :)

Be polite. It will take more work to be polite on a forum than it does to be polite in a normal conversation. This is largely due to the lack of tone of voice and body language. If you take the time to make sure your post is polite then you will in turn be met with a much more pleasant response.

gonna add to this tread cause i normally dont complain life is to short but i am human and i might be sencitiver than most some things kinda stick out to me on this forum

1: the regular people who have been here long are kinda agressive when new people post yes new people fail to search i get it it can be anoying but a attack making people feel shit is usually the first responce not a this has been suggested here here and here redirecting people and suggesting to use the search feature

2: someone dosent agree agree with a opinion you get going with personal attacks like your stupid or bla bla kiddy behaviours instead of i dont have anything positive to add to this so i shut up and leave it

3: thinking hard before writing any suggestions is a good idea but yeah not many think that way so they post before thinking it trough and end up sounding silly and ofc they get mocked

4: there are those who have been here long that seem to go on derailing sprees personally i dont care much but it is hard to read trough a tread to read the good ideas people might have had when there are a ton off "hey i got my cat neutered" posts in between (not sure why i used a cat example)

5: yeah polite people would not use some words i have seen in a few treads and you never know how the person on the other end of the line will read it and that could end up being a big misunderstanding and insulting conversation ending in someone being hurt (yeah i know the world is big and mean the internet is meaner).

other than that i agree very much with what you wrote ditto.

[. . .]

Posted Image

-snip-

I just have to defend the side of the old posters, being one of them. You are completely right, quite honestly; we are usually harsh to newbies, we react violently to some things, we derail a lot (specially me).

However, we have our reasons to be like that. Firstly, like anyone else, we deal with a lot of shit on our lifes; that's perfectly normal. A lot of the shit we have been through, for us at least, has happened in this forums. And like everyone else, we don't want to have to get through the same problems again; that's why we quickly lose our patience when dealing with something we see a lot (posting without reading, underdeveloped ideas, lists...). We just don't want to see more of that.

That's also why we derail; derails can help us relax a bit, entertain us. A lot of good ideas have came from derails, actually; for instance, the poisons topics active right now in the suggestion forums. I know it's hard to get through posts and posts of derailment to see if there is anything you should read before replying to that thread. But after all, for the most cases, a thread won't derail if there is actually something important to discuss there; so a derailed thread is, most of the times, a dead one.

Usually, we will just get harsh on the newbies 'cause we need to probe them. They will have to deal with a lot of shit through their instance in the forums, no matter where they post in the most; If they can't deal with what we give 'em in their first thread (which is in fact kind of soft...), how will they deal with what's coming next?

There is a reason that hazing is banned in the military.

Also, if people are polite then there is no need to prepare them or test them to see if they can 'handle' what is to come.

I just have to defend the side of the old posters, being one of them. You are completely right, quite honestly; we are usually harsh to newbies, we react violently to some things, we derail a lot (specially me).

However, we have our reasons to be like that. Firstly, like anyone else, we deal with a lot of shit on our lifes; that's perfectly normal. A lot of the shit we have been through, for us at least, has happened in this forums. And like everyone else, we don't want to have to get through the same problems again; that's why we quickly lose our patience when dealing with something we see a lot (posting without reading, underdeveloped ideas, lists...). We just don't want to see more of that.

That's also why we derail; derails can help us relax a bit, entertain us. A lot of good ideas have came from derails, actually; for instance, the poisons topics active right now in the suggestion forums. I know it's hard to get through posts and posts of derailment to see if there is anything you should read before replying to that thread. But after all, for the most cases, a thread won't derail if there is actually something important to discuss there; so a derailed thread is, most of the times, a dead one.

Usually, we will just get harsh on the newbies 'cause we need to probe them. They will have to deal with a lot of shit through their instance in the forums, no matter where they post in the most; If they can't deal with what we give 'em in their first thread (which is in fact kind of soft...), how will they deal with what's coming next?

First you may have a reason but again new people are not the ones that made the big "problem" back earlier the "shit" in our lives bit ill have to say why bring it to the forums all thou you say it is something that happened here the newly spawns are not the ones that did it and rl problems should not reflect on how you answer a repeated question how ever anoying it might be

derailmet has happened in several treads i find still relevant and interesting relaxing by derailment i dont really get there is this great off topic area for chit chat like "is that a samurai" and so on

there should really not be a need to probe new people if people started being polite when posting, shit should fall through the cracks in the floor, also the probing i got made me uneasy as to actually participate at first only after continuing chatting on irc and realising bioxx and others there are actually nice people (yeah he will deny that im sure) did i decide id continue also not everyone that plays tfc are adults with hardened skin

so im not seeing this behaviour from "old" forum users as needed also it will give newly spawns the wrong impression "hey this is a forum where i can be a dick and get away with it once i have been here long enoug"

as an example

still i like the mod ill hang around but people could try to atleast be a little more polite /considerate

also i revived a tread i found interesting so i wouldent go and make a new tread about the same topic and i got a "just dont be a cunt" see now that i found insulting even if it was not meant as such people are entitled to an opinion and if you dont agree fine lets discuss it as adults with out the personal attacks

so yes i understand what you are saying JAG but i have to disagree i dont think it is needed

I have noticed that most every thread I have seen seems to end in derailment. Makes it hard to discuss things, in my opinion.

The idea of being harsh to new posters just to "probe them" is plain silly. Be harsh to people who deserve it. Being harsh to people because they are posting for the first time is called "being a jerk".

The idea of being harsh to new posters just to "probe them" is plain silly. Be harsh to people who deserve it. Being harsh to people because they are posting for the first time is called "being a jerk".

Yeah, this is true, and I'm not harsh with new people.

I have noticed that most every thread I have seen seems to end in derailment. Makes it hard to discuss things, in my opinion.

And this happens when most of the people don't have something else to add to a topic. There are many theories about derailment in the forums.

Yeah, this is true, and I'm not harsh with new people.

And this happens when most of the people don't have something else to add to a topic. There are many theories about derailment in the forums.

No suggestion from me that you were, TheWolf.

You're right that the derailment generally signifies the end of the thread and my cue to unfollow. It is a shame though as good conversations in that thread end up weighed down with the extraneous chit-chat.

There is a reason that hazing is banned in the military.

Also, if people are polite then there is no need to prepare them or test them to see if they can 'handle' what is to come.

This is the internet not the military, there is no actual danger to your life if someone gets bullied in here, plus, you can choose if you stay or you go. There is no comparison between the two.

The thing is that most people don't stay in the forums and just come here to complain, so that is fucking annoying.

First you may have a reason but again new people are not the ones that made the big "problem" back earlier the "shit" in our lives bit ill have to say why bring it to the forums all thou you say it is something that happened here the newly spawns are not the ones that did it and rl problems should not reflect on how you answer a repeated question how ever anoying it might be

derailmet has happened in several treads i find still relevant and interesting relaxing by derailment i dont really get there is this great off topic area for chit chat like "is that a samurai" and so on

there should really not be a need to probe new people if people started being polite when posting, shit should fall through the cracks in the floor, also the probing i got made me uneasy as to actually participate at first only after continuing chatting on irc and realising bioxx and others there are actually nice people (yeah he will deny that im sure) did i decide id continue also not everyone that plays tfc are adults with hardened skin

so im not seeing this behaviour from "old" forum users as needed also it will give newly spawns the wrong impression "hey this is a forum where i can be a dick and get away with it once i have been here long enoug"

as an example

still i like the mod ill hang around but people could try to atleast be a little more polite /considerate

also i revived a tread i found interesting so i wouldent go and make a new tread about the same topic and i got a "just dont be a cunt" see now that i found insulting even if it was not meant as such people are entitled to an opinion and if you dont agree fine lets discuss it as adults with out the personal attacks

so yes i understand what you are saying JAG but i have to disagree i dont think it is needed

Hey, I've made that post about seven samurais! ¬¬

Derailment is natural, for me it is because of two things, this isn't like reddit where you choose what you want to see and good posts stay on top, that would be a GREAT improvement in the suggestions topic. And because the off-topic isn't seen by most, it is not the place to chit-chat since most people don't even look there, so they start conversations in the threads, plus that is a factor in brainstorming, it is up to the OP to keep the rail in place, if it does not interest the community... well then there is nothing to see there. It is really sad to see good posts die, but when people don't search and don't pick things up from where they died is even more annoying, because it will be just throwing dirt on the good ones.

I kind of think the OP should be stickied in the main forums... everyone should have to read that before they post.

Derails are fun. That's why they happen, because we, as people, generally like to have fun. If you look over in the off topic section you can see we have fun there too, but when something comes up in a suggestion thread that doesn't have a lot to talk about anymore it would be very awkward to pick it up and move it to the off-topic section. The truth is that this is a forum where people feel comfortable enough to joke around and HAVE FUN, this isn't one of those massive heavily moderated messes that exist out there on the internet. It's a small forum for a great mod where the staff are ok with players having fun. Often you will see Dunk, the only steady moderator and a dev, actually participating in these derails. If this forum all of a sudden became a place where we had to be completely serious and strictly on topic everywhere but the off topic section I would just stop posting here, not out of protest, but simply because I would lose interest and forget about this place over time.

I understand it can be frustrating to have your thread derailed, but not every thread lasts forever, it will either derail or fall off the front page forever. Derailing actually gives it a chance to rerail and continue, it artificially extends the life of a thread. Now, this doesn't always happen, but my point is it can.

In summary, just relax and stop complaining (see what I did there? :P)about derails, they really aren't so bad. And hey, maybe have some fun and join in on them.

As for the "hazing" issue, in my case it isn't intentional or me trying to put newbies "through their paces", just that I don't like dealing with stupidity and obvious breaches of common sense. The reason many of us are so blunt or "harsh" with repeat suggestions is because we don't want to search through a bunch of threads just to provide you with a link to where it already was talked about when they could have done it themselves. Doing it for them also won't make them remember they should search next time, just that they can break the rules and get away with it.