Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pakislav

Magic: Scroll Scribing.

11 posts in this topic

I've searched the forum for a thread dedicated to the art of creation of magical scrolls, but there doesn't seem to be such.

So here's one.

Note: This topic was just a general idea intended to start off a more constructive collaboration of brainstorming in order to come up with good/better ideas or judge if it's a good idea to implement at all. ;)

*And it might turn int oa general Magic collaboration-brainstorming thread*

Anything magic-related probably isn't a high priority of this mod, and might even be a part of the list-of-things-that-will-never-be-implemented, alas nothing hurtfull about brainstorming together, is there?

We already have a scribing table, used solely to make plans. Everyone only needs one set of plans to keep in a uni-chest next to an anvil.

So this feature doesn't get used so much, and I've heard somebody, that using an already existing feature to expand the game is always better then constantly adding completly new stuff.

(Actually, a scribing table is potentially a very small part of this concept, but still :P)

Ok, let's get to the Point.

You take rare ingredients, such as gem-dust and platinium flakes, and combine them with ink to creat a magical ink... or just ink that can hold the Essence* (Otherwise known as Exp.)

With said different types of magical inks (And possible other elements) you creat a patern on the scribing table similar to metalurgy plans. This way, you either recive a magical scroll that has a one-time use with specific effects, or an 'empty' inscription that needs to be enchanted with the Essence(Exp) similar to the enchantment of normal items as might be the case if enchantment was to be ever implemented.

It could also be combined with a possible feature of alchemy, requiring mortar/apparatus and alchemical ingredients to create the magical inks. This way all three fields, the magic(Scrolls), alchemy and enchantment would rely on each other, adding to the depth of the game in my humble opinion.

The way that these three fields (possibly) relate would require them to be planned together. For instance, the effects of enchanted items are passive and constant.

The effects of potions are time-limited and having negative effects, but require less work. When it comes to negative effects of potions, I imagined it a little like in the case of The Witcher universum (Books), where potions give you special abbilities but some of them leave negative effects when they wear off or are abused.

I just threw it out there, because I imagined how potions might become too easy to mass produce, and thus requireing something to make abuse of them not profitable.

It might be just that if you drink more then one potion in a specified amount of time, you'll get some kind of negative effect. Somewhat like mixing modern medicine or flushing it down with alcohol can lead to a rather unpleasant effect. it's all chemistry after all, and it still mixes inside you with unforseen effect. It could actually be a pretty cool idea to add such 'mixed' effects for potions, so that when you take a few potions at the same time, you might get an additional positive effect, but if you accidentally take a wrong one, it will posion/slow/damage/otherwise debuff you. It could be a very fun feature, such potion mixing for various, unpredictable(Due to ammount of possible mixes.) effects.

The scrolls have more powerfull effects and are harder to make. They would require very rare ingredients, and take a lot of work for a one-time use spell. They would also take one full slot of inventory, like tools.

They might require Exp(Aka essence) to use, have a cooldown, or a potential % chance to have the opposite effect to what was intended. There are plenty of options. But I thought that potions should have negative effects, rather then scrolls, because scrolls have the magic in themselves, and potions are chemicals that mix within you, like drugs. When drugs wear off they often leave a bitter taste of unpleasant reality. ;d

Scrolls also might require the player to decifer the language in which they must be written (I've read recently Dunks posts about making a seed specific languages ;p) and might be read wrongly, thus having opposite/negative effect.

The scroll recipes might also accept a certain range of 'mistake', so that you place one marking in the wrong place or use wrong ink in one place, but still get the same scroll, not knowing it has negative effect, aka. Scroll of Wild Growth rendering the area permanently un-usable for farming and growing trees/grass for animals. Or a scroll of Summoning might summon an aggresive mob that attack you.

It would require the player to learn the actual Art of Scroll Scribing, and give a lot of care towards the making of the scrolls. I think it would work out this way?

The enchantment may require same ingredients to apply to items being enchanted, and alchemy stuff requires enchanted ingredients or ingredients obtained by the use of certain scrolls (Such as the Gate Scroll.)

I will expand on enchanting after reviwing this document by bsb23: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rFWVhxhG0DPLFrW_02Ds7tnrP6Sd8D-ZNIjb3KwH9ng/edit?pli=1

Now what's left is Listing of possible magical effects that the scrolls could have and mechanics of their use.

Let me start with interesting ideas:

Scroll of Highway to Hell**:

If Nether-like dimension were to be implemented, a scroll would be required to serve similar role as flint-and-steel in Vanilla minecraft, activating the pre-placed portal.

Scroll of Resurrection:

Using this scroll (Or possibly an enchanted item) Imbues it with your soul, allowing you to return from the dead in the place of your death, instead of the last bed that you slept in.

(Maybe an enchanted pillow? :P)

Scroll of Turning Undead(/Evil):

This scroll creates an aura around the user that terrifies all mobs that quallify as undead(/evil).

Scroll of Mending:

This scroll increases the rate at which your health regenerates.

Cures all (possible) ailments, such as disease, poison and curse.

(Where 4 or more different potions are needed for same effect)

Scroll of Wild Growth:

Acts like bonemeal on a large area.

(Trees, farmables, wild grass, maybe breeding/growing mobs?)

Scroll of Firestorm:

Sets an area around the player on fire.

(Mass flint'n steel)

Scroll of Snowstorm:

Spawns snow in an area around the player and slows everything in it.

Scroll of Firewall:

Creates wall of fire(/magma) in front of the player for a period of time, damaging anything that walks throught.

Scroll of Icewall:

Creates a wall of ice in front of the player, creating a barier between him and.. what ever is on the other side.

Scroll of Summoning:

Summons some kind of mob(s) that fight for the player.

/Summons a set of 'Bound' armor and weapons.

Or possibly a chest with some kind of goods.

Scroll of Stone(/bark)skin:

Adds to the player armor value.

/Slows the player down.

/Makes the player invulnerable to fire and magma.

That's all from me for the time being.

If you have ideas about other magical effects for scrolls, please keep in mind that the more already existing features we use for this, the better as it will make it much easier to code.

Also keep in mind that (According to my idea anyways) scrolls are ment to be the powerfull(aka only) source of magic, end-game kind of thing, while still not being OP/Obsolete and adding to the game.

*Essence:

I decided to call the "Exp" such, because it 'comes' from living things and is (In vanilla) used for magic. So It's basically an Essence of Life with which to imbue other objects to give them magical properties.

** Placeholder name.

Pretty much think it's a good idea, not sure if I'd feel comfortable endorsing it for TFC at this point, Bioxx MAY have plans for magic/fantasy, he's said that it has a place, we just have no clue what place he thinks it has yet.

Pretty much think it's a good idea, not sure if I'd feel comfortable endorsing it for TFC at this point, Bioxx MAY have plans for magic/fantasy, he's said that it has a place, we just have no clue what place he thinks it has yet.

how about..... THE OTHER DIMENSION? :D

I'm not the one to know things like that about TFC and what they have planned, but it's just probably vague "Magic? : Yes, maybe, somehow, not now."

So simply coming up with good ideas, just so that they have something to work with when they get there might pay off.

I'm not the one to know things like that about TFC and what they have planned, but it's just probably vague "Magic? : Yes, maybe, somehow, not now."

So simply coming up with good ideas, just so that they have something to work with when they get there might pay off.

paki, ill advise you to read the first, say, 4 pages of the suggestion thread (until they eventually derail) it will help you with getting a good insight of what players and dunk (number 2 dev and number 1 forum boss!) think on certain stuff, magic in itself, especially if its EXTREMELY hard to get, would work in a alternate dimension (which is coming) i'm talking about the difficulty level of jarl ulfric stormcloak using the Thu'um (dragon shouts from Skyrim) its just a regular man, yet he managed once, thats the difficulty level im feeling would fit for minecraft magic, on some VERY special occasions, not more

Right off the bat, I would recommend you to read some of the other extensive and well discussed magic threads on this forum.*

Good idea. I would like to see this implemented, but for me, something doesn't fit right. It seems good, but I think (this is only MY personal opinion, please feel free to add yours) this doesn't fit with TFC without some other things first. I think TFC should have to more herbalism, potion brewing, more "scientific" magic (like I think Dunk said something about energy being stored in gems through the chemical bonds of them, and then could be used for enchanting) first, as more of a base to this more complex stuff.. I guess it needs more of the simple magics first. But agreeing with Renadi, Bioxx may have plans, only time can tell. I realize you stated that you need other things as a base/thing to rely on (alchemy and enchanting), but those need to be implemented fro this to bee amazingly good. While the idea needs some more fleshing out and it needs some base, I have some constructive criticism:

First of all, I don't understand this part: "The effects of potions are time-limited and having negative effects, but require less work,"

Why would you want to spend time on something that has a negative effect anyways? If it was a splash potion or something, I would be considering to agree, but at this state, I don't really get it.

And These scrolls have very powerful effects and should have debuffs that come along with them. I think you should have an internal player aura** that runs out when you use these magic scrolls and has a slow recovery time, able to be boosted by other means. This is to prevent rapid-firing crazily powerful spells and completely OPing the system. It should drain you in a sense. What I am trying to say is that the energy needed for that magic has to come from somewhere, and that could be a potion you have recently drunk, potential/stored arcane energy in gems, or the player itself. The player should be the main source. Try magic too powerful, you get hurt.

I hope that helped you and please scour the forums for any ideas even relating to yours before posting. You may find that you have something related to that, and you can add to that topic, or add something to your own topic. (Not saying you didn't, just for future use.) EDIT: Agree with killster's post before this. Highly recommend following that line of thought/advice.

* This thread is one you should start off with:

** The aura isn't a very fleshed out idea, just a way to limit the power of magic.

interesting topic, but I can't say I read it. You probably haven't been here long enough to have seen when I posted this, but I said that great big walls of text are a major turn off for suggestions. Nice to see you contributing though.

Posted Image

A TLDR for dunk's benefit:

TLDR: Mix ink + rare componant for magic ink, scribe on paper for various effects, listed above. Potentially uses experience to make.

First of all, I don't understand this part: "The effects of potions are time-limited and having negative effects, but require less work,"

Why would you want to spend time on something that has a negative effect anyways? If it was a splash potion or something, I would be considering to agree, but at this state, I don't really get it.

And These scrolls have very powerful effects and should have debuffs that come along with them. I think you should have an internal player aura** that runs out when you use these magic scrolls and has a slow recovery time, able to be boosted by other means. This is to prevent rapid-firing crazily powerful spells and completely OPing the system. It should drain you in a sense. What I am trying to say is that the energy needed for that magic has to come from somewhere, and that could be a potion you have recently drunk, potential/stored arcane energy in gems, or the player itself. The player should be the main source. Try magic too powerful, you get hurt.

This topic was just a general idea intended to start off a more constructive collaboration of brainstorming in order to come up with good/better ideas or judge if it's a good idea to implement at all. ;)

When it comes to negative effects of potions, I imagined it a little like in the case of The Witcher universum (Books), where potions give you special abbilities but some of them leave negative effects when they wear off or are abused.

I just threw it out there, because I imagined how potions might become too easy to mass produce, and thus requireing something to make abuse of them not profitable.

It might be just that if you drink more then one potion in a specified amount of time, you'll get some kind of negative effect. Somewhat like mixing modern medicine or flushing it down with alcohol can lead to a rather unpleasant effect. it's all chemistry after all, and it still mixes inside you with unforseen effect. It could actually be a pretty cool idea to add such 'mixed' effects for potions, so that when you take a few potions at the same time, you might get an additional positive effect, but if you accidentally take a wrong one, it will posion/slow/damage/otherwise debuff you. It could be a very fun feature, such potion mixing for various, unpredictable(Due to ammount of possible mixes.) effects.

When it comes to scrolls, what I originally intended, was that they would require very rare ingredients, and take a lot of work for a one-time use spell. They would also take one full slot of inventory, like tools.

They might require Exp(Aka essence) to use, have a cooldown, or a potential % chance to have the opposite effect to what was intended. There are plenty of options. But I thought that potions should have negative effects, rather then scrolls, because scrolls have the magic in themselves, and potions are chemicals that mix within you, like drugs. When drugs wear off they often leave a bitter taste of unpleasant reality. ;d

Scrolls also might require the player to decifer the language in which they must be written (I've read recently Dunks posts about making a seed specific languages ;p) and might be read wrongly, thus having opposite/negative effect.

The scroll recipes might also accept a certain range of 'mistake', so that you place one marking in the wrong place or use wrong ink in one place, but still get the same scroll, not knowing it has negative effect, aka. Scroll of Wild Growth rendering the area permanently un-usable for farming and growing trees/grass for animals. Or a scroll of Summoning might summon an aggresive mob that attack you.

It would require the player to learn the actual Art of Scroll Scribing, and give a lot of care towards the making of the scrolls. I think it would work out this way?

interesting topic, but I can't say I read it. You probably haven't been here long enough to have seen when I posted this, but I said that great big walls of text are a major turn off for suggestions. Nice to see you contributing though.

It's not that big of a wall of text, it's just mostly spaces ;s

The important part consists of three sentences :rolleyes:

This topic was just a general idea intended to start off a more constructive collaboration of brainstorming in order to come up with good/better ideas or judge if it's a good idea to implement at all. ;)

When it comes to negative effects of potions, I imagined it a little like in the case of The Witcher universum (Books), where potions give you special abbilities but some of them leave negative effects when they wear off or are abused.

When it comes to scrolls, what I originally intended, was that they would require very rare ingredients, and take a lot of work for a one-time use spell. They would also take one full slot of inventory, like tools.

It's not that big of a wall of text, it's just mostly spaces ;s

The important part consists of three sentences :rolleyes:

Thank you for claryfying thta. But could you edit the OP witn that? AND ANOTHER MINIGAME!? This is getting really overloaded with minigames...

i don't know how magic-y TFC will get, but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion