Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
killster550

Horse Cart and pole drag

147 posts in this topic

so i havent found a dedicated topic on the horse carts, so any and all information could be placed here if you so wish, to keep it organized.

also, i encountered the book series Earths Children in which a pole drag is mentioned (this book setting is the prehistoric, so i dont know whether it'd be implementable, but since Steve is depicted as a caveman, i give it a shot)

it basically is 2 poles attached to a horse's back through a saddle, with a large piece of leather in between it, and 2 shorter poles on the end of it with sharp points downward.

it uses the horses muscle strength to pull this, with the sharp points cutting the ground to prevent it getting stuck on stuff, and you can store lots of stuff on that piece of leather, i was wondering if it'd be possible to be used as a lower tier version of the cart, this was before the wheel was even invented :D remember that this appliance could actually go up small slopes too, because of the pointed poles that literally knocked it up any small ledge or rock it bumped into,

opinions?

TL:DR

META THREAD HORSES, POLE DRAG APPLIANCE

So far it seems that horse carts will have the following properties:

1. able to transport more than an inventory's worth of items.

2. Severely slowed by sand, dirt and grass.

3. Pulled by a horse.

4. Strong horses are ideal over fast ones.

5. Carts can only ascend a height difference of 1/5 of a block.

6. Horses will eventually tire and need to eat, so desert travel is ill-advised unless you bring hay or some such food with you.

7. Trying to attach a wild horse instead of a tamed one will not go well.

8. non-adult horses cannot pull carts

9. Horses would also be affected by the weight of the inventory.

10. Riding horses is another option, but saddles most likely will not have inventory.

11. Horses cannot move sideways, and steering horses is through the WASD, with W and S being forward and backward, and the A and D keys for rotating left and right.

12. Horse carts have a large turning radius.

Tips on Horses:

1. Different horses have different traits, usually related to the environment they are found in.

2. As a general rule, cold environments yield stong, durable horses who tire and move more slowly.

3. Warmer climates produce smaller horses that tire and move more quickly.

4. Neither may be ideal for your purposes, so it may be useful to venture out and try to obtain some of each type and attempt to breed them into something that is both strong and fast.

So far it seems that horse carts will have the following properties:

1. able to transport more than an inventory's worth of items.

2. Severely slowed by sand, dirt and grass.

3. Pulled by a horse.

4. Strong horses are ideal over fast ones.

5. Carts can only ascend a height difference of 1/5 of a block.

6. Horses will eventually tire and need to eat, so desert travel is ill-advised unless you bring hay or some such food with you.

7. Trying to attach a wild horse instead of a tamed one will not go well.

8. non-adult horses cannot pull carts

9. Horses would also be affected by the weight of the inventory.

10. Riding horses is another option, but saddles most likely will not have inventory.

11. Horses cannot move sideways, and steering horses is through the WASD, with W and S being forward and backward, and the A and D keys for rotating left and right.

12. Horse carts have a large turning radius.

Tips on Horses:

1. Different horses have different traits, usually related to the environment they are found in.

2. As a general rule, cold environments yield stong, durable horses who tire and move more slowly.

3. Warmer climates produce smaller horses that tire and move more quickly.

4. Neither may be ideal for your purposes, so it may be useful to venture out and try to obtain some of each type and attempt to breed them into something that is both strong and fast.

hey dunk, thanks for the summarized reply, but what about the pole drag? i'd like to hear your opinion on some things i post, whether good or bad :D

Gravel?

No, because gravel is used to make the roads and if the cart is going to be slowed by gravel, it would be slowed by everything, apart stone and it would be too annoying to have only stone roads.

How are you going to solve carts being only able to ascend 1/5th of a block?

Doesn't it render them completly unusable unless on pre-placed stone roads?

Maybe instead make them able to walk up halfblocks and stairs, but only if there is enough room in between each elevation so that they can't climb almost vertically?

But they would still be useless for traveling somewhere where you havn't been before.

Here's an idea: Instead of not being able to move upwards a one-block height, make them have breakable wheals, with higher chance of breaking when moving up in elevation.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather personally have a saddle inventor on a horse rather then a cart.

No, because gravel is used to make the roads and if the cart is going to be slowed by gravel, it would be slowed by everything, apart stone and it would be too annoying to have only stone roads.

I'm pretty sure we will have only stone roads anyway, because we can't shape gravel into entity blocks and combining the two will not look particularly good. Besides, stone is just more common. As an option it's fine though.

I'm pretty sure we will have only stone roads anyway, because we can't shape gravel into entity blocks and combining the two will not look particularly good. Besides, stone is just more common. As an option it's fine though.

But if Bioxx introduces concrete, we can make a new type of stone roads. Like the roads that the Romans built. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_roads

But if Bioxx introduces concrete, we can make a new type of stone roads. Like the roads that the Romans built. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Roman_roads

your own wiki post shows that these roads were not made of concrete (which btw i think is a very modern thing) but out of rubble mashed flat on top of a clay underbottom :/

your own wiki post shows that these roads were not made of concrete (which btw i think is a very modern thing) but out of rubble mashed flat on top of a clay underbottom :/

If you use chrome, you can go in the site, press ctrl+f and search the word "concrete". You should find 7 results. It was not entirely made of concrete, but the last layer was.

Dark Ages man, Dark Ages.

Romans had concrete, public bathrooms and swimming pools, saunas, canalisation, centralised government, and then Jesus came and everything went down the drain until some poeple started to wake from Gods Delusion.

Dark Ages man, Dark Ages.

Romans had concrete, public bathrooms and swimming pools, saunas, canalisation, centralised government, and then Jesus came and everything went down the drain until some poeple started to wake from Gods Delusion.

you do realise it wasnt Jesus that f'ed it up? everything started going downhill after brutus killed Julius Ceasar, corruption is what killed the Roman Empire, not some hippy in sandals, thats just the finishing blow for the Roman Religion, not the Roman Civilization (although Byzantium (Constantinopel) remained under roman control till the 1400-ish era, the real roman empire died because of corruption and northern barbarians :D

I learned in history class last year that there just weren't enough roman soldiers. They paid barbarians to defend their borders against other barbarians, and guess who betrayed them. I certainly agree with the corruption topic though. Empires never fall for only one reason. Either way, for roads, couldn't they just give the shovel another mode that 'chisels' off bits of gravel blocks?

I learned in history class last year that there just weren't enough roman soldiers. They paid barbarians to defend their borders against other barbarians, and guess who betrayed them. I certainly agree with the corruption topic though. Empires never fall for only one reason. Either way, for roads, couldn't they just give the shovel another mode that 'chisels' off bits of gravel blocks?

just is never the word in any game, it takes several days of work to get this stuff to work on 1 block, now to have it saved, textured, djust to nearby blocks, lighting, see where i am going? :D

'Just' was absolutely the wrong word. But that functionality is so damned cool, that I figure it should be used everywhere.

Gravel?

Gravel can be packed down until it's essentially a gritty rock. Grass dirt and sand have either little cohesiveness or are much too soft.

hey dunk, thanks for the summarized reply, but what about the pole drag? i'd like to hear your opinion on some things i post, whether good or bad :D

I'll look into them, do some research, but I just wanted to clarify somethings about horse carts in general

Not necessarilly make gravel roads, but it allows for a cheap, easy alternative for shorter roads or ones that don't go above the ground or change in elevation

How are you going to solve carts being only able to ascend 1/5th of a block?

Doesn't it render them completly unusable unless on pre-placed stone roads?

Maybe instead make them able to walk up halfblocks and stairs, but only if there is enough room in between each elevation so that they can't climb almost vertically?

But they would still be useless for traveling somewhere where you havn't been before.

Here's an idea: Instead of not being able to move upwards a one-block height, make them have breakable wheals, with higher chance of breaking when moving up in elevation.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather personally have a saddle inventor on a horse rather then a cart.

HOLD UP. Don't give me alternate suggestions to things I have declared as fact. The thing about TFC is that we actually consider all of the ramifications of a feature BEFORE we implement it, so if we're adding it to the game, it's pretty much not up for discussion.

The entire point of the cart and the only reason I'm allowing them to be added is the strict limitations it puts you under in terms of mobility and road construction.

Besides, I'd like to see you get a horse to pull a 1 tonne cart up a 45 degree angle. Horses have a high centre of gravity, so it wouldn't work at all.

I think it's about the same.

well, its also a new fresh thread for keeping up with the horses in general, AND the pole drag suggestion :D

It makes me so happy to see that you devs try to get the best stuff you can get. Someone's making horses and carts already? why no collaborate with them and thats exactly what you do. That is so perfect i can't find words. Find the positive parts other guys already did and try to collaborate with the to include their code into TFC, this way a lot more stuff is going to be even better with less effort from you.

Really, a word of thanks to the dev('s) for this decision. THANKS!

No problem. I'm really bogged down on animals atm, and i thought horses needed more effort than I had time to put into them. Avi already knows how to make animals properly ridable and has experience with mobs, and because she liked TFC she was the natural choice. I'm really enjoying working with her :)

No problem. I'm really bogged down on animals atm, and i thought horses needed more effort than I had time to put into them. Avi already knows how to make animals properly ridable and has experience with mobs, and because she liked TFC she was the natural choice. I'm really enjoying working with her :)

A coding question: doesn't minecraft already have ride able pigs? So what are you actually adding to this hourses?

lets hope she actually makes a Shetland and a professional racing horse race (yup, shetland is only one i know) be extremely different in durability :D

A coding question: doesn't minecraft already have ride able pigs? So what are you actually adding to this hourses?

Except from the fact that pig always has its own AI functioning and thus only indirectly controllable?

You couldn't steer minecraft pigs until the carrot on a stick came out, and even then, I want to change how it's coded. I want the player to be able to look in a direction other than directly forward without making the horse change direction.

lets hope she actually makes a Shetland and a professional racing horse race (yup, shetland is only one i know) be extremely different in durability :D

I said she'll be HELPING, not doing it herself lol

There won't be any "breeds" per se, there will definitely be different varieties, but they will be randomly generated, nothing based on specific horse types irl