Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
killster550

Horse Cart and pole drag

147 posts in this topic

fair enough, and HAH, DOUBLE POSTED DUNK *ducks for cover*

*from behind cover* anyway, we went a tiny bit off topic with the programming part (maybe) so i havent heard ANYONE on the pole drag idea, the lower tier cart variant, which is better for slopes but less load :D

a literal quote from the books: its 2 poles stuck into the ground, with another 2 horizontal poles tied to it, with sharp points dragging the ground (end of quote) the leather can hold the items in place (think of entire animals that needed skinning) while still being easy to maneuver, due to the points cutting anything on the ground, supporting the entire loads weight on the 2 points.

btw Dunk, for research, it was during the Cro-Magnon era that the book is set, basically surrounding the last ice age :D

1. Yay!

2. Dirt can be packed down over time and depending on the moisture content can be a very effective road. Sand and grass however I agree with

3. Duh. but lets also give the options for ox, mules, deer(yes, deer), and anything else of appropriate size and strength. If I can tame a bear, I WANT TO TIE IT TO A CART ;D

4. Though proper breeding and training you can get the best of both. Just saying (;

5. Make speed dependent on the angle. maximal angle should be a full block, thus slowing it the most(like INSANELY/unreasonably slow) and 1/10th(min angle that IS an angle) should be the fastest. No, im not saying a linear slope/speed calculation. (forget term, but similar to an X^2 equation)

6. I agree, but ask your careful with this. Some horses are bread for heat, cold and other harsh conditions. Ultimately though, you may want to have other animals if your traveling though a practical hell.

7. Lol, I must see a video montage of peoples fails with this. LIKEZ

8. No, let people fail in game. Let them overload the horse and kill it. Metaskill: Breaking. Experanced players know exactly when the horse they spent 13 generations to breed can handle a load. other players end up choking them within minutes.

9. I cant agree on this. Unless we do the same for the player, it is unreasonable to expect any other animal following different physics.

10. Riding? Yay. no satchels? Should be a craftable addition, made separate and attached though the usual right click.

11. I have seen a horse turn around in its stall pretty effectively. I see this applying to moving horses, but a still horse should not have this applied. Of course, carted horses are another story.

12. Dependent on craftsmanship plzkthx?

Edit: Considering the angle of ascent, i was thinking about something along the lines of a steep slope, however the entire height climbed is no more then 1 meter. if the entirety of the cart/horse can fit on the higher ridge. basically, the 1/5th rule applies as the height to distance ratio is the same. Hopefully THAT cleared up what I was saying before anyone says anything about distance/angles other shiz. Im thinking gameplay here, and I would be annoyed as hell i I found myself in an open and smooth plains and couldn't go up a single block because the rules behind it did not allow an animal that until I started riding it could climb.

1. Yay!

2. Dirt can be packed down over time and depending on the moisture content can be a very effective road. Sand and grass however I agree with

3. Duh. but lets also give the options for ox, mules, deer(yes, deer), and anything else of appropriate size and strength. If I can tame a bear, I WANT TO TIE IT TO A CART ;D

4. Though proper breeding and training you can get the best of both. Just saying (;

5. Make speed dependent on the angle. maximal angle should be a full block, thus slowing it the most(like INSANELY/unreasonably slow) and 1/10th(min angle that IS an angle) should be the fastest. No, im not saying a linear slope/speed calculation. (forget term, but similar to an X^2 equation)

6. I agree, but ask your careful with this. Some horses are bread for heat, cold and other harsh conditions. Ultimately though, you may want to have other animals if your traveling though a practical hell.

7. Lol, I must see a video montage of peoples fails with this. LIKEZ

8. No, let people fail in game. Let them overload the horse and kill it. Metaskill: Breaking. Experanced players know exactly when the horse they spent 13 generations to breed can handle a load. other players end up choking them within minutes.

9. I cant agree on this. Unless we do the same for the player, it is unreasonable to expect any other animal following different physics.

10. Riding? Yay. no satchels? Should be a craftable addition, made separate and attached though the usual right click.

11. I have seen a horse turn around in its stall pretty effectively. I see this applying to moving horses, but a still horse should not have this applied. Of course, carted horses are another story.

12. Dependent on craftsmanship plzkthx?

Edit: Considering the angle of ascent, i was thinking about something along the lines of a steep slope, however the entire height climbed is no more then 1 meter. if the entirety of the cart/horse can fit on the higher ridge. basically, the 1/5th rule applies as the height to distance ratio is the same. Hopefully THAT cleared up what I was saying before anyone says anything about distance/angles other shiz. Im thinking gameplay here, and I would be annoyed as hell i I found myself in an open and smooth plains and couldn't go up a single block because the rules behind it did not allow an animal that until I started riding it could climb.

no. Again, I was declaring facts, not opening the topic for discussion. what I stated is final.

2. Severely slowed by sand, dirt and grass.

Gravel?

Snow?

Gravel can be packed down until it's essentially a gritty rock. Grass dirt and sand have either little cohesiveness or are much too soft.

Not necessarilly make gravel roads, but it allows for a cheap, easy alternative for shorter roads or ones that don't go above the ground or change in elevation

Just a question//thought on the whole road business. What about shovels acting like a chisel on gravel? (But only vertically, of course.) Would allow people to make long roads without ploughing through resources.

...oooh...

...and after you find yourself one of them 1k-veins of bitumen, could make "Road Metal" by mixing it with gravel. It could place like coal does or something. So rather than placing a whole block and then carving it down, you place a thin sheet and build up only when you need to.

That actually brings up the very valid point that as it stands right now, charcoal can already be used by itself to lay down a road. Just tried it out on a test world, it works fairly well and you get a good bit of road per stack, only problem at the moment is the odd jerkiness whenever you go up gradual steps, where your body keeps trying to drop to halfway or the bottom before reasserting itself at the top correctly.

why not add a road block, texturing like fences when their adjacent, and you can chisel/shape them into the right size, or that you can add a property to it to make it have the needed increase (or better yet, a extra slope block, to be shaped from the road block.

On the topic of gravel, I think it would be a great idea to make gravel like charcoal, except storing the pebbels we find on the surface. Would sort out roads and that thing where a tiny rock turns into a cobblestone block.

you can make charcoal roads if you want, I'm not stopping you. Snow will probably slow it down as well, but maybe only deeper snow

and no shovel chisels for gravel :)

how about a new mineral: natural asphalt. ;) Just teasing

you can make charcoal roads if you want, I'm not stopping you. Snow will probably slow it down as well, but maybe only deeper snow

how about my idea for a road block? an idea for the texture could be the roman roads wikipedia image, large round pieces of rock, with a texture split into 4, if you place 2 next to each other, you get the bottom 2, then when you add a block above it (think of a flat area) you get said piece extra, and then you get the final image when you make it a 4 block square

also, if this is done, there should be some kind of slope-like block to make it easier to traverse a height difference (it'd need to be like 6 blocks long so you cant go up a full block (just saying something here) and slow down your horse a bit, (to simulate the slope) because else, we'd either get charcoal, or cobblestone roads that'd be endlessly long and would either take a HUGE amount of time to make, or you'd have to cut straight through a mountain (which in tfc is not the smartest thing to do :D

(an alternative would be having the terrain generation generate something like a pass through anything with a certain height factor, within a (lets say) 1000 block radius which'd be cool too :D

how about my idea for a road block? an idea for the texture could be the roman roads wikipedia image, large round pieces of rock, with a texture split into 4, if you place 2 next to each other, you get the bottom 2, then when you add a block above it (think of a flat area) you get said piece extra, and then you get the final image when you make it a 4 block square

also, if this is done, there should be some kind of slope-like block to make it easier to traverse a height difference (it'd need to be like 6 blocks long so you cant go up a full block (just saying something here) and slow down your horse a bit, (to simulate the slope) because else, we'd either get charcoal, or cobblestone roads that'd be endlessly long and would either take a HUGE amount of time to make, or you'd have to cut straight through a mountain (which in tfc is not the smartest thing to do :D

(an alternative would be having the terrain generation generate something like a pass through anything with a certain height factor, within a (lets say) 1000 block radius which'd be cool too :D

no

Posted Image

this is the reaction I want to see when I say "no" in a thread.

why? because the lols? or because obedience? The latter you aint going to get very easy. you know how end users are ;P

still want to see the arguments behind why each declared thing is so declared.

also, can we have a 'packed dirt' block? Because I REALLY want some dirt that does not turn into grass for some of my player roads. Damned grass... Never liked its insane growth cycle.

I like the idea of colder weather making sturdier breeds and i hope that you have looked in to the Tarpan horse as it is the european prehistoric breed for the domesticated horses also sturdy horses are not always big most ancient work horses are of the Fjord horse size and build (also a amazing colour imo) or are we more in the usa type of horses ?

i know we are not looking at a certain breed but the model can still be compared to it im exited avi is helping you with this as she has made my favourite mod (alpha mod) and you mentioned getting both types and breeding for stronger faster horses would be a good idea

im gonna have to say faster is not always good when you are trying to get a working horse for this to be beliveable the best thing would be to breed for strenght unless you are refering to those that will want an all rounder horse

also little ponies have been known to be used for mining as they fit better in the tunnels so a sturdy little horse or pony would be neat

i know you are stating facts but people are allowed to dream also the cool bloded breeds /Types could be the smaller ones hot bloded breed/ type coule be long legged taller horses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjord_horse just a reference to the cold bloded breed as i see em

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_horse the hot bloded breeds could be modled like so as i understand it arabians are pretty ancient the nomads and sheiks breed them to be faster from they are today so it would be beliveable that arabian type horses would roam hotter climates and be fast to get to better grasing as there would be waste lands to cross for it

these are just things i wanted to say youll be doing what you want it is your's and bioxx's mod anyway

why? because the lols? or because obedience? The latter you aint going to get very easy. you know how end users are ;P

still want to see the arguments behind why each declared thing is so declared.

also, can we have a 'packed dirt' block? Because I REALLY want some dirt that does not turn into grass for some of my player roads. Damned grass... Never liked its insane growth cycle.

its quite simple, when i type one of my massive brainfarts inside another massive brainfart, i dont hope to get a shitton of attention, its basically one big hugeass question: will you do this? and dunk says no, which means he read it and has more than enough reason to just say no instead of explaining his words, which makes me realize, well, thats not gonna happen, and the okay face is cuz it always makes you a little bit sad :D

I like the idea of colder weather making sturdier breeds and i hope that you have looked in to the Tarpan horse as it is the european prehistoric breed for the domesticated horses also sturdy horses are not always big most ancient work horses are of the Fjord horse size and build (also a amazing colour imo) or are we more in the usa type of horses ?

i know we are not looking at a certain breed but the model can still be compared to it im exited avi is helping you with this as she has made my favourite mod (alpha mod) and you mentioned getting both types and breeding for stronger faster horses would be a good idea

im gonna have to say faster is not always good when you are trying to get a working horse for this to be beliveable the best thing would be to breed for strenght unless you are refering to those that will want an all rounder horse

also little ponies have been known to be used for mining as they fit better in the tunnels so a sturdy little horse or pony would be neat

i know you are stating facts but people are allowed to dream also the cool bloded breeds /Types could be the smaller ones hot bloded breed/ type coule be long legged taller horses

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Fjord_horse just a reference to the cold bloded breed as i see em

http://en.wikipedia....i/Arabian_horse the hot bloded breeds could be modled like so as i understand it arabians are pretty ancient the nomads and sheiks breed them to be faster from they are today so it would be beliveable that arabian type horses would roam hotter climates and be fast to get to better grasing as there would be waste lands to cross for it

these are just things i wanted to say youll be doing what you want it is your's and bioxx's mod anyway

Thanks, and yeah I like what you've contributed. I don't think ponies will be useful for mining though, just because the way minecraft handles animals, it wouldn't make much of a difference between horses and ponies.

I imagined Applejack and Fluttershy working as slaves in a dark mine... Not cool bro.

I imagined Applejack and Fluttershy working as slaves in a dark mine... Not cool bro.

What's wrong with you imagining such things with your favourite characters?

About the pony lovers.

Unless you are girls.. what is wrong with you?

The question is, what is wrong WITH YOU!

My Little Pony'ies is everything good in the world compressed into well written story, great music, animations and deep, lovelly characers!

Can't say the music's great, can't talk about the rest.

About the pony lovers.

Unless you are girls.. what is wrong with you?

The question is, what is wrong WITH YOU!

My Little Pony'ies is everything good in the world compressed into well written story, great music, animations and deep, lovelly characers!

You're both being rather obtuse. Just because someone likes a show that is marketed at little girls doesn't mean there's something wrong with them, the fact that MLP is directed at girls doesn't mean ONLY little girls can like it.

On the other hand it's also silly to think that all grown men should like such a show, so you should both just drop the topic.