Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pakislav

A wild idea: Corpses and burial.

56 posts in this topic

It just occured to me and I decided to post it, because why not spam from time to time...

How about making killed players drop a "corpse" item, that has the same skin as them and when placed on the ground it lays on the ground, on it's back?

Giving the ability to create burial sites and graves for the players. Would be a cool idea to have entire town collaborate on a huge project of a mousoleum for their late ruler.

I like this feature in Dwarf Fortress anyways and I think it would be cool here as well.

It could be also used for other things, like special dungeon mobs, like vampires and mumies.

Or used for some form of ressurection if we were to be unable to have our bodies reconstructed by our beds at some point.

It would play nicelly if my other idea for Inscribed Scrolls was ever to see the daylight xd

It just occured to me and I decided to post it, because why not spam from time to time...

How about making killed players drop a "corpse" item, that has the same skin as them and when placed on the ground it lays on the ground, on it's back?

Giving the ability to create burial sites and graves for the players. Would be a cool idea to have entire town collaborate on a huge project of a mousoleum for their late ruler.

I like this feature in Dwarf Fortress anyways and I think it would be cool here as well.

It could be also used for other things, like special dungeon mobs, like vampires and mumies.

Or used for some form of ressurection if we were to be unable to have our bodies reconstructed by our beds at some point.

It would play nicelly if my other idea for Inscribed Scrolls was ever to see the daylight xd

Already discussed in great length at the Official Death Penalty Thread by Bioxx. Sorry, look/search more next time.

unless it's a hardcore server that bans people who die... I think it would be awkward when the player just respawns.

Besides, if someone sets a trap at spawn, players would die over and over and over piling up the corpses until the server crashes...

that's not entirely true. In Terra, a former server, this would have fit in well with how the server worked.

that's not entirely true. In Terra, a former server, this would have fit in well with how the server worked.

we're not going to implement something for a single server...

Since when do single objects (Like a log from freshly cut tree) can lead to a server crashing?

Since when do single objects (Like a log from freshly cut tree) can lead to a server crashing?

If you have an infinite loop of creating new entities eventually the server will lag itself to death

If you have an infinite loop of creating new entities eventually the server will lag itself to death

I don't think this is the real issue, even if you die over and over, a good code could handle it... But making a tomb or corpse, whatever, is just too much for too little... There is no real advantage or feature in having a tomb there with your name...

The feature would be having mobs spawn from there, but it is not quite how minecraft handles mobs... well, yet, anyways, and besides, mobs are getting reworked with other features

Corpses could have a similar check as with Vspawners. 'If X is in this region, dont spawn any more'

I Like the idea, but aside from aesthetics, I really dont see a point.

A thought on how to avoid using a new mob, use two blocks side by side that use the skin database textures. Tile entities would work for this, right?

Corpses could have a similar check as with Vspawners. 'If X is in this region, dont spawn any more'

I Like the idea, but aside from aesthetics, I really dont see a point.

A thought on how to avoid using a new mob, use two blocks side by side that use the skin database textures. Tile entities would work for this, right?

Tile entities don't have that purpose... They are mostly used to call for GUIs and blocks that have an interaction with the environment... Like a piston or a chest...

tile entities can be used to store advanced data as well. also, this:

rudimentary version of what I am now thinking, but still a version all the same.

tile entities can be used to store advanced data as well. also, this: http://terrafirmacra...dpost__p__29008

rudimentary version of what I am now thinking, but still a version all the same.

You could store the same data in a block... Tile entity work as an entity that looks at the block, they store that data in order to be outside of the block, I don't know a better way to describe it other than saying that they are kindda like the soul of the block.................... a meta block... ah... maybe Dunk can be clearer on this one...

K, correction noted. meh, I never got past coding basic blocks. I was told some time ago tile entities were used for advanced data keeping.

K, correction noted. meh, I never got past coding basic blocks. I was told some time ago tile entities were used for advanced data keeping.

For basic coding yes, if you don't want to add things to the code and only handle mc data then yes they have other options of data to handle, but I wouldn't call it more advanced, there are some really advanced code in some blocks... The best use I know for Tile is handling GUIs...

unless it's a hardcore server that bans people who die... I think it would be awkward when the player just respawns.

Besides, if someone sets a trap at spawn, players would die over and over and over piling up the corpses until the server crashes...

If you didn't have one spawn point it wouldn't end up being such a problem, and you could always limit the number in the world, or per location.

'If you didn't have one spawn point it wouldn't end up being such a problem, and you could always limit the number in the world, or per location.'

support this, unless they use 'player' blocks to sim dead users. which the more I think about it, the more reasonable it seems to be. think about it, instead of item drops, its a spawned chest that looks like.. YOU. admittedly, work may be needed to make it less like a chest alt and more like a nice dead body that stores at least armor and a weapon.

Wouldn't it be easier to just make a mausoleum without the need to code in corpses? If you're going for a legit look, this would be a way to do it.

... Rei's Armour Stand Mod has a function to set the skin as your character...use that....

Rei's armor stand is a HORRIBLE representation. effing lags like HELL. I once tried making an adventure map that used a few of the stands(quit the project obviously) and 3 practically froze the game for me. my usual 30fps went down to 2. with only 3 default setting stands.

...That stuff works fine for me....

your system is obvoiusly better then my low end user laptop. I experience huge performance drops from mods that require large amounts of resources, and Armorstand, when I last used it that is, constantly is updating its self causing huge performance drops on an already crap system.

I have to play TFC on tiny sight distance and fast graphics.

I still get plenty of lag.

And sorry, but the notion that these corpse items would create lag is... ugh, not very smart. Simply destroy the previous object when a new one is created, unless they are picked up and placed by a player... in all respects this is just one/two god damn blocks...

edit: sorry, missed two previous posts.

do you guys even use optifine for TFC? it's improved my game so much i can now play on far+ ranges and nicer graphics while without i had to go low and normal range

do you guys even use optifine for TFC? it's improved my game so much i can now play on far+ ranges and nicer graphics while without i had to go low and normal range

I need to say that when I installed optifine, my PC went slower. Idk why, this just happened. Someone knows why? Or at least a little tip? And my settings were lowest. Without optifine and with TFC I usually get 60 fps, but with optifine and TFC I get 40-30...

Honestly, it seems optifine just randomly decides to not work for some people. I have no trouble at all, and have become so used to the ctrl-zoom feature that I've forgotten it's not part of vanilla.