Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Leosallespoli

Official modding API

28 posts in this topic

It was announced today that 1.5 will come with an official modding api system.

Jeb, Dinnerbone, Grum, and EvilSeph have been discussing the upcoming Mod API in detail! This is only a small look at the massive amount of information provided about the Mod API, so let's dive right in!

API Questions:

• When will the Mod API be released?
The API will be going live with the 1.5, which has a tenative release date of January, 2013.

• Will mods have the ability to modify text?
Mods can have config files that, when initialized, will be able to dynamically print text in a variety of ways.

• Will mods like Optifine (which modify the engine directly) be supported?
The API will eliminate the need to write to the engine directly, allowing modifications that affect the game (as any mod will), without altering the game code itself. Among other things, this will greatly simplify mod installation.

• Can vanilla block behavior be modified?
Yes.

• Will there be official community resources (tutorials, forums, etc) for modders?
Yes.

• How will mods be distributed by modders, and downloaded by players?
Players will be able to download mods from the game client itself.

• Will the API be able to add new mobs to the game through mods?
Yes. Additionally, it will be possible to modify animated blocks (water, lava) as well as custom animated blocks.

• Will the API be like Bukkit (an outside resource)?
No, the API will be integrated into the vanilla game, hopefully bypassing the need for exernal APIs.

• Will client-only mods be supported by the API?
Not at this time, but as the biggest client-only modifications are already covered (texture packs, splash screen text etc), it didn't seem necessary.

• Will the API remove the issue of mods being rendered inoperable when the game updates?
It is a target we want to hit for certain, but it won't really have that capability at launch, we don't believe.

• Will mods need to be re-written from the ground up with the API's release?
While mods will need to be changed to accommodate the API, total overhauls shouldn't be necessary. Even if a mod requires an overhaul for the API, it would only be a one-time occurrance.

• Will there be any sort of content filter?
By and large, the community will police its own mods as it does now, but we are working to put a system in place to prevent malicious mods from being distributed.

• What can be modified in the game using the API?
Everything.

• Can the phsyics be modded?
Yes.

• Will the API be on the XBOX or Pocket Edition?
Not by us, but you can ask the developers of each game, respectively.

Minecraft Questions:

• Will mods like Optfine be added to vanilla?
Something even better. Overall, the game engine is being simplified, taking most of the load off of the client, and having the server doing the heavy work, greatly improving SMP.

Smoothstone stairs are not planned.

No new mobs are planned.

What you guys think about that?

Looks promising. Now to see if they can hold their word, and there will indeed be said functionality.

Once all the bugs will be worked out of the API, there will be no need for further game updates, and Mojang could handle their new blocks and other stuff via "official" mod.

FINALLY! I hope that Jeb doesn't screw up all this work adding the easy diamonds mod...and I hope that this will be at least 3/4 as good as the actual APIs...

Actually, if you read 1.5 speculation, you will be amazed. If only half of it is to be trusted, 1.5 will be the biggest Minecraft update in the history.

• What can be modified in the game using the API?
Everything.

• Will the API remove the issue of mods being rendered inoperable when the game updates?
It is a target we want to hit for certain, but it won't really have that capability at launch, we don't believe.
I think I like these the most, for a lot of reasons. Especially if the last one is actually possible at all.

Sorry,

I'm not sure where people are getting this from, but we never said that the API is in 1.5 in either of our panels (1.5 one or API one)

— Nathan Adams (@Dinnerbone)

November 25, 2012

Just a rumor.

Also check the Reddit post.

I'm scarred, they have managed to screw everything else up. I'm pretty sure they admitted to not being able to code as good as some modders like the guy who made Optifine, Risugami, and Bioxx. I would really like to see them try to best Optifine. All this is going to do is break stuff and why does modding need to be simpler, I know few people now that can't mod.

The only reason I care about the API is that I have a number of players who simply do not have the knowledge to install Forge and TFC. Yes, I know, "noobs lol", but some are kids, some are not skilled with computers, etc. The only thing keeping me from implementing TFC on our survival server (besides the potential to have to restart worlds with new Builds, I'll wait until TFC itself is ironed out a bit first) is that I will lose 3/4 of my server population switching to TFC unless they can download it easily through the client. Sigh. I've been hoping for a good API for....like 2 or more years now.

The only reason I care about the API is that I have a number of players who simply do not have the knowledge to install Forge and TFC. Yes, I know, "noobs lol", but some are kids, some are not skilled with computers, etc. The only thing keeping me from implementing TFC on our survival server (besides the potential to have to restart worlds with new Builds, I'll wait until TFC itself is ironed out a bit first) is that I will lose 3/4 of my server population switching to TFC unless they can download it easily through the client. Sigh. I've been hoping for a good API for....like 2 or more years now.

Forge is good, I think, and it's simpler now. You would be amazed how many kids have modded correctly, but they installed all there mods at the same time and didn't run Minecraft after installing APIs and it blackscreenes.

Forge is good, I think, and it's simpler now. You would be amazed how many kids have modded correctly, but they installed all there mods at the same time and didn't run Minecraft after installing APIs and it blackscreenes.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand--for me it's wonderful and easy as pie. But I've literally sat on Skype for 45 minutes with these people, telling them how to do it step by step, and they still can't figure out how to install Forge. I made a tutorial video on YouTube, and they still couldn't figure it out. It's mindboggling, but there it is.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand--for me it's wonderful and easy as pie. But I've literally sat on Skype for 45 minutes with these people, telling them how to do it step by step, and they still can't figure out how to install Forge. I made a tutorial video on YouTube, and they still couldn't figure it out. It's mindboggling, but there it is.

True, true. And half of them won't be able to figure out a built in API.

True, true. And half of them won't be able to figure out a built in API.

They won't have to. They'll try to connect to a TFC server, they'll get a message prompting them to install the plugin(s) they need, and they'll click "OK". At least, that is the stated goal.

Regarding the speculation of the API being done in Jan. or 1.5 - it would be virtually impossible to finish in that timeframe. What I am hoping is they start API development by the end of January. They need to start getting pieces in the wild so they can be tested and iterated on.

If the API system can be completed by the end of next year I'll be shocked.

I'm scarred, they have managed to screw everything else up. I'm pretty sure they admitted to not being able to code as good as some modders like the guy who made Optifine, Risugami, and Bioxx. I would really like to see them try to best Optifine. All this is going to do is break stuff and why does modding need to be simpler, I know few people now that can't mod.

Do you know why they can't code like Bioxx, Risugami and the other guy? Because the knowledge of programming isn't enough to program, you need also another thing, taken for granted many times...Did you understand what is it? The fantasy and creativity. Probably you don't understand, but a programmer can, for sure!

I'm sorry, but optifine is NOT a tight program, it causes more bugs than vanilla and inconsistencies something we know first hand.

Neither would they want to implement 99% of what is in TFC, Bioxx is definitely a good programmer, but there's no analog to compare Mojang to one man with a tight goal.

The problem isn't Mojang not being good programmers it's them listening too much to all the people bitching and not actually just doing the damn thing.

a proper api is a rewrite of the code from end to end, and once it's implemented they intend it to be the primary way THEY add features. Meaning every feature they add now, no matter how cleverly programmed will need to be redesigned with the API in mind.

So, every feature added in now adds that development time PLUS the time to rewrite it for the API.

They need to just stop adding anything at all and work on the boring job of running through the code backwards.

It really doesn't take creativity, it takes boring comparisons and tearing apart code you've already done and throwing new stuff in.

It really doesn't take creativity, it takes boring comparisons and tearing apart code you've already done and throwing new stuff in.

No, you probably misunderstood, not creativity like "hey look at my awesome new block that makes a thing never seen before" but creativity needed when you must fix a bug. You need it to take advantage of your code and use it in the best way, maybe in a way never seen before. This is the true use of creativity in the coding part.

A video of the full session is online.

About the 11 minute mark Jeb is talking about making money from the mods. Apparently you won't be able to sell through their repository, but it's not clear if you can sell your plugin otherwise. I guess they can't really prevent you from doing so (legally speaking) as long as you're sticking to just their API.

He also says you cannot claim exclusivity over an idea, which I expect will anger some people. Of course, you can't do that anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal.

About the 11 minute mark Jeb is talking about making money from the mods. Apparently you won't be able to sell through their repository, but it's not clear if you can sell your plugin otherwise. I guess they can't really prevent you from doing so (legally speaking) as long as you're sticking to just their API.

He also says you cannot claim exclusivity over an idea, which I expect will anger some people. Of course, you can't do that anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal.

There is no such thing as an original idea, nor it is yours, it is an idea. If you're a modder what you can do is implement that idea, the implementation, the methods and classes you use can be yours, although I can probably say that making it yours is just a set back when it could evolve when people can implement it in their own way. I'm against DRM when it restrain innovation and saying that an idea belongs to someone is just that.

They said that they are releasing a new license agreement with the API, which makes me believe that monetizing issues will be settled there. To make things a bit clear, Jeb was indicating that the mod repository would be direct downloads, unlike on the Curse forums where mod developers are free to use those horrible ad.fly links. He cleared that developers are allowed to make money on personally owned websites (guessing ad revenue, google adsense would pay out a lot more in that case) or from youtube channel payouts. He stated that donations are also acceptable through means like paypal (and honestly, if you really want to show support for a developer, sending five bucks their way is a lot more than your .004 cents from your ad.fly download is going to mean). While not planned yet, the dev team stated that they are considering allowing developers to link paypal accounts to their mod's repository page.

Honestly I am excited about this, an easier (supposedly, it will be better than the goddamn Curse forums for sure at least) to navigate repository of mods that I can access from in game, download without the worry of picking up a drive by virus from some shitty ad site, and automatic installation? Hell Yes.

Going to be really disappointing in those developers who hee and haw over this. What I am hoping is that, to encourage the use of the repository, Mojang has curse close down their modding subforum, At least make it not a place to post mods, but to discuss.

ok, now for those who are not well verged in the read everything category, is this good or bad for future development of any mod?

(yes, shoot me over this, ill shoot back :D)

ok, now for those who are not well verged in the read everything category, is this good or bad for future development of any mod?

(yes, shoot me over this, ill shoot back :D)

Depends.

Seriously, this issue is far to complex for any other answer untill we actually get the API.

Depends.

Seriously, this issue is far to complex for any other answer untill we actually get the API.

let me rephrase that: would this, should it be implemented properly and working, without too much bullshit attached, be positive or negative? :D

besides, what im reading makes me think you can build your own standalone mod besides the normal minecraft, and attach them, so that'd make Cubic Chunks a viable option, since its main problem was its altering nearly the entire base class (leo please kill me if i type it wrong :D)

Started new thread....

Just as I thought it will go down. I may've said that I'm disappointed, except that disappointment - is when you expected something the other, better way. We'll see what will it be then.

I mean, what reason do you have to change second number of the version if not for something big?