Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
empoleon53098

Trees won't grow nor can be found

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been playing Tfcraft for quite some time now, and on my newly-made B66 world, I noticed a rather huge issue; For some reason, trees cannot be found across this entire plains-based continent. The only trees I have found are on the tips of the highest mountains, where the temperature is slightly colder. This leads me to believe that the temperature is a factor in tree generation. I looked around the wiki for it, but I didn't see this mentioned anywhere. I had originally spawned quite close to the arctic circle, I only had to walk a couple hundred blocks to find a huge expanse of ice and snow. I had left this area in search of a warmer climate farther south, but most of the world up until a continent quite close to the equator was covered by water. I had brought a Douglas fir sapling, a hickory one, a chestnut one, and a willow one just in case the new area that I found had didn't have them. I was quite right in this respect, and I have been waiting several in-game months for the saplings to grow. The mountains that hold the native concentration of white elm and another tree type are quickly getting deforested, and the sapling planted on them do not grow either. The world seed is 3742932833493885094, I think. Is my issue a config problem, or something else entirely? I usually never touch my configs, unless a server has a weird day length setting. I can't give the temperature of the area, I got rather lost while searching for metal. I can tell you that the rainfall is 1000, the evt is 0.500, and the temperature is somewhere around 40. Any help with this?

and the temperature is somewhere around 40.

Could it be actually too hot for trees to grow?

Could it be actually too hot for trees to grow?

I have been trying to find the answer for a while now, that's the only thing I can think of because normally my temperature is 3-5.

What are your coords?

Around a thousand blocks from the equator, and very close to origin on the other axis. I can't get the exact coords right now, as I'm still trying to find my way back, but I know that the area has basalt next to an ocean.

Around a thousand blocks from the equator, and very close to origin on the other axis. I can't get the exact coords right now, as I'm still trying to find my way back, but I know that the area has basalt next to an ocean.

Are you in the southern part of the equator? Because the south is not completely the same of the north. The south is going to be changed.

I found a similar seed when I made a world to test farming, it took about 30 minutes to finally find trees. The trick is to pick one direction and walk that way for a good 10-15 minutes, if that doesn't yield trees, aim 90 degrees left or right and go that way. Or if you have rei's just go south or north.

I'm not in the south, and the real issue is not that there are no trees, it is that the ones I have planted don't grow. I could easily make my own forest if I wanted to, but none of the saplings ever grow. I did find some trees in my wanderings, but they were kapok trees in tiny amounts.

I'm not in the south, and the real issue is not that there are no trees, it is that the ones I have planted don't grow. I could easily make my own forest if I wanted to, but none of the saplings ever grow. I did find some trees in my wanderings, but they were kapok trees in tiny amounts.

I just discovered that some trees doesn't grown under certain condition were other can grow perfectly fine, use the calendar in debug mode and FF one month, then just wander in the area and wait for them to start appearing

Trees do depend on temperature, which is why they don't grow where it is too cold too. 40 degrees is incredibly hot for an annual average temp. Not much of anything would grow in that on earth. You will need to find somewhere further from the equator.

btw, that seed you gave has some incredibly lush forests and beautiful mountains at ~ -11400z and near 0x. It's a great seed. Temp floats about 9-12 depending on rainfall... it's a great place to settle.

Really? I didn't see any such forests. I'll have a look, the reason I had left in the first place was because most non-grain crops could not be planted, due to the coldness. So, is anyone going to be updating the wiki on this, to avoid confusion? I don't know how to myself, but it's a good idea. Thanks for all of the help, I'll try moving to somewhere that doesn't have nearly as much heat. Well, provided I can get enough food to cross the ocean again. I lost nearly all of my food supply when crossing the first time, but there are plenty of cattle here... Oh well, I'm rambling. Unless I find an issue in another area, I'll be putting the topic as [sOLVED] now. Once I figure out how to, anyway. That might take a while.

With respect to the wiki, there are still changes occurring to agriculture and tree growth so there's not much point in updating the wiki. And as has been pointed out in other threads of similar topics... this isn't exactly hard to figure out. If something doesn't grow under those conditions on earth and it's not growing under those same conditions in TFC, then this is not something particularly worth mentioning in a wiki. We don't need to fill up the TFC wiki with redundant information.