Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Emris

Item recognizing tool or book

27 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'v been playing TFC for a few weeks now and i realy like the way it's going. For a Beta state, it's already very playable and fun.

Playing TFC and thinking about the direction this project is going, i had a few thoughts which, i think, would add a bit more to

the realistic part of the game.

There are sooo many more items added to TFC that makes it a bit hard to know (graphicly) what is what. You have to brake/chop it to your inventory to find out what it is. And that is ok, but not very realistic. If there was some kind of tool or book where all new blocks could be put into, and then just by right clicking the block, the name of the already known item would be shown. That way i just take/brake/chop the blocks i'm looking for or need. There could be something like the Scribing Table where you bring the unknown block, analyze it, and put the info (name or other things) into a book or some kind of book(tool). It could be a lerning feature of the game. Then when you go out and rightclick a block (with or without the tool??) that you already analyzed, you get the info before you brake/chop/take it. That way you take only what you need. It would be a bit like in real life. This idea came from (me chopping all the trees) trying to find the right one for the planks i wanted. From the developer viewpoint, there could be some kind of user based database to keep track of known/unknown blocks. My Java is a "bit" rusty, but i'll try and make a mini mod for minecraft to get the feeling for this idea.

What do you think about this idea?

hmm, too bad its just a wall of text in a bit of shabby english, but the idea in itself basically means a dictionary of the various types of blocks, which imo has a bit of an approval, if only pictures are added to show you what the block looks like ;)

Sorry about my English...it's not my nativ tongue.

I only had about 4y to learn...and that was about 28y ago.

I still hope you can understand what i'm trying to describe.

You mean like different kinds of stone and trees?

It is entirelly realistic in my opinion. Just looking at the stone IRL is not going to give you all the information. You need to break a piece and examine it to be sure, same in TFC.

What you propose on the other hand, is not at all realistic. ^_^

It just takes time to learn the difference, and if oyu are not sure you have to examine it more closelly by breaking it. :P

Edit: Or just reference the wiki. Also, the prospectors pick could also tell you types of rocks it detects. So that's a good idea.

Look an item up on the wiki

I think what he means is he actually needs to chop a tree to know what the planks will look like. I think it should be like this unless you can tell by appearance.

Err.... I am not the kind to have a geological book; I like to play Hardcore, and, like the others explained, look up on the wiki. But, if you so desire to have an in-game craftable geological book without looking up the TFC Wiki, then... it should be at least believable. The 'Geo-Book', for the purposes of demonstration, should be recorded by the player to identify the type of geological feature you wish to reveal. Right-click on a stone or tree to identify its type. One more thing...

Welcome to the TerraFirmaCraft Forums, MR Emris_Morath!

-Sda209

P.S. - I KNOW YOU ARE MALE BECAUSE IT SAYS SO ON YOUR PROFILE AND I LOOKED AT THAT BEFORE MAKING THIS POST

Edited by dunkleosteus
:)

I think what he means is he actually needs to chop a tree to know what the planks will look like. I think it should be like this unless you can tell by appearance.

chop the damn tree down!

This is a game of exploration! discovery! do new things! learn! survive!

You more or less play as the one of the first people, or only person period in ssp, on this world. It makes perfect sense that you don't know what something looks like until you interact with it.

I understand what you mean, and maybe this is not such a great idea... but as i stated above, it's just a thought that "i think" would add a bit more to the realistic part of the game.

At the moment we have a very smart inventory. You put something in, and it knows right away what it is. Not very Real-Life like :-)

In RL you have to go to school to learn about different trees, rocks, plant life or whatever....if you have interests in such professions...such people would know right away what is what :-)

I can go outside right now and chop a peace of tree, and i will probably have no idea what type of tree that was...and i would probably throw away a gold nugget because i wouldn't recognize it as gold...

"note-to-me: now, that would be a real shame...hmm...read mineral tutorials."

So maybe its not a book or tool thing, but a property of the player and you use the bookshelf, or something else, to learn or analyze unknown stuff....but i'm probably going in the wrong direction..like mmo.. or it's just a bad idea :-) ...

I will agree that knowing the names of items in your inv is disconcerting, however there is no way to overcome this system EFFECTIVELY in a game.

I understand what you mean, and maybe this is not such a great idea... but as i stated above, it's just a thought that "i think" would add a bit more to the realistic part of the game.

At the moment we have a very smart inventory. You put something in, and it knows right away what it is. Not very Real-Life like :-)

In RL you have to go to school to learn about different trees, rocks, plant life or whatever....if you have interests in such professions...such people would know right away what is what :-)

I can go outside right now and chop a peace of tree, and i will probably have no idea what type of tree that was...and i would probably throw away a gold nugget because i wouldn't recognize it as gold...

"note-to-me: now, that would be a real shame...hmm...read mineral tutorials."

So maybe its not a book or tool thing, but a property of the player and you use the bookshelf, or something else, to learn or analyze unknown stuff....but i'm probably going in the wrong direction..like mmo.. or it's just a bad idea :-) ...

It would be kind of interesting if no names are displayed when viewing items, leaving it up to the players themselves to name the items however they like. Books or museums might become something worth creating this way to record names everyone or part of them agree to use in a server for example. Not to mention you get to see what names people pick for those different items, if they give serious names that is.

So yeah, an unknown world with unknown items. I think this will give problems with specific things like coins if this happens though so I'm not sure myself if it's actually a good idea.

Haven't even thought about items like coins...it could be fun in multi-player mode though.

Naming would be no problem, if only the town owner, region leader or the King (in his kingdom) has the right to name the coins... and the right to define/set how much can be produced by players that have some kind of treasury role...like mods or admins... The coins could then be used for in-game economy... and you could toss them into the bloomery or forge and smelt them into ingots...wouldn't be profitable though, but if you hate the King...... :-))

ok...i'll stop thinking now...my thoughts are running wild...

in vanilla, editing the names of items is handled though editing the language files. just clear the names out and enjoy that?

Haven't even thought about items like coins...it could be fun in multi-player mode though.

Naming would be no problem, if only the town owner, region leader or the King (in his kingdom) has the right to name the coins... and the right to define/set how much can be produced by players that have some kind of treasury role...like mods or admins... The coins could then be used for in-game economy... and you could toss them into the bloomery or forge and smelt them into ingots...wouldn't be profitable though, but if you hate the King...... :-))

ok...i'll stop thinking now...my thoughts are running wild...

If you think that our thoughts are good, feel free to post them because if a dev is in a good mood, maybe he should consider your idea and maybe he doesn't implement it, but something very similar. Also...

WELCOME TO THE TFC FORUMS!!! (awesome community)

WELCOME TO THE TFC FORUMS!!! (awesome community)

You should try and use some darker colours... you know, so you don't melt the eyes of the one you are welcoming? :P

You should try and use some darker colours... you know, so you don't melt the eyes of the one you are welcoming? :P

I must melt his eyes because I'm evil. But maybe I should take this in consideration ;)

I must melt his eyes because I'm evil. But maybe I should take this in consideration ;)

Good thing I am Kimbblesrath now and not TASE. He left.

Good thing I am Kimbblesrath now and not TASE. He left.

Wb kimbblesrath. Are you going to change name again?

Wb kimbblesrath. Are you going to change name again?

Maybe....I might. I can`t think of a nice one....I might do that one we all wanted JAG to be a while back though...I only have 2 name changes (or is it one) for a while.

Maybe....I might. I can`t think of a nice one....I might do that one we all wanted JAG to be a while back though...I only have 2 name changes (or is it one) for a while.

... What name change you all wanted me to make are you talking about? i don't remember that... ._.

... What name change you all wanted me to make are you talking about? i don't remember that... ._.

I think it was Just_a_cruel_guy_:P

I think it was Just_a_cruel_guy_ :P

So... "all" in this case means you and Kimbble? lol :P

If i ever gave myself that name, i would be kinder to newbies than you are :3

This is me in response.

no seriously

oh wait, counter argument http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo&feature=related