Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
halfmaster1

Emergency Survival Kit

31 posts in this topic

When you go on an adventure, it is generally a good idea to bring some stuff incase you get lost.

So, what do you guys bring?

I bring a piece of paper, an axe, a bucket of water, a firestarter, and javelins(Edit: Also, food. Derp.) . Also, I generally bring a sword, but I wouldn't if I knew I was going to get lost.

I'll start a list in the OP if you have any more ideas.

Definitely food, some rocks and sticks to make tools if needed (I'd keep them in this form until I know I need a certain tool), some torches, and some javelins. Now the real question is how do you mark your path back? Be confident and not mark it? Put down torches? Put down stone pillars with torches every chunk (16 blocks) or so? Make a path of flowers??

I know I've gone as far as making 1x2 high stone pillars, putting a torch on top and a torch on the side of the pillar in the direction I was coming from (so it points to the next pillar/home). But I guess people don't like things like this making their worlds 'ugly'... :) I have no problems with it!

Sticks, rocks, food, bed. Then I hide out in a 2x1x1 hole until day and carry on with what I was doing. On the way back I normally don't stop and run about 2.5-3 km in daylight hours, hauling ass is actually pretty fun.

Really you don't need anything else unless you get caught up in a few skeletons and a zombie.

Now the real question is how do you mark your path back?

Lol... Rei's.

Lol... Rei's.

NOOOO! lol. I just ranted on the thread about other mods people use with TFC, and went off on how Rei's minimap seems like something the devs wouldn't want you to use since it is very powerful (and I'm assuming way more power than anything they plan on implementing since there isn't anything for that currently anyways).

Be an outdoorsman! Get clever! Thrifty? Don't use Rei's...

NOOOO! lol. I just ranted on the thread about other mods people use with TFC, and went off on how Rei's minimap seems like something the devs wouldn't want you to use since it is very powerful (and I'm assuming way more power than anything they plan on implementing since there isn't anything for that currently anyways).

Be an outdoorsman! Get clever! Thrifty? Don't use Rei's...

It's an addiction much like Smart Moving. For a world where your resources are spread out I don't think it's so bad.

That's why you build roads!

blagh, you'll learn when they add in the horses...

It's an addiction much like Smart Moving. For a world where your resources are spread out I don't think it's so bad.

Yea I understand. I've gotten lost time after time because I was out searching for something. I just feel that's part of the game though. Don't mark your way and you'll pay the price later!

I'm really excited for this actually!

That's extremely advanced... I haven't even made metal yet in build 66 and *sigh* i have to upgrade yet again. I have to install mods twice in my personal server and client, guys I'm too lazy for this.

#gonna cry

Anyway, I expand about 2 kilometers. Do the math... 3 blocks wide over 2 kilometers and a 1 block railing with chiseled bumps. That is 10000 blocks, 6000 of which have the possibility to be chiseled. I like nice roads, but early on a rock every 10 blocks is nice... 200 blocks, getting better.

Don't mark your way and you'll pay the price later!

I can memorize my way in local parts, when I play without Rei's over long distances I either place a mark or find my way (and die...).

I always try to keep a full stack of rocks with me in case i need to build an emergency staircase if I get stuck on a cliff side and night is coming. This usually isn't a problem because the only reason I leave my house is to get more rocks or ore...

You'll regret the roads on servers because of our griefer friends.

I can memorize my way in local parts, when I play without Rei's over long distances I either place a mark or find my way (and die...).

That's how I am. I get a little too cocky and think I won't need markers, then get completely lost! Finding your way home through those annoying skeletons is intense!

i dont use rei's, i just orient myself based on the sun, and i always keep in mind what direction i came from before turning into a different one, and triangulate on mountains, or if i scale one, i use the sun/moon's direction to determine where i came from and where im going, and where my original point was :D

yea, i'm awesome like that.

I don't use Reis either. Sometimes I just write down coordinates of places of interest if they are far away, but usually find my way without them.

But the idea of marks and a minimap fills me with spite.

My emergency kit consists of a set of tools, a bucket of water and food. That's really all you need, everything else you can quickly set up anywhere on the map, as long as there are trees.

You can carry a bed with you to pass the night faster, but you risk spawning in the initial spawn point if you die this way.

I'm pretty convinced by your arguments.

I use Rei's, and you're right, travelling is too easy with it. but i use it so much that i don't know if i could play without :(

But to be in the mood of TFC, i must not use it anymore.

So i'm going to play without !!

To answer your post, my emergency kit is : rocks, sticks, 4 javelins, 1 knife, 1 axe, 1 shovel, food, water, torches.

oh yes : good shoes ;)

emergency kit: stone, food and water, sticks, toolset, torches.

If I had them, I'd bring a few vials of water. But in the early stages of the game I don't. Very useful when you're far from water.

Side note: I just found out first hand about the crazy hindrances of being thirsty. When you drop below 25% you now get the Slowness II debuff (It felt like an Oblivion debuff!). Boy, you are a sitting duck. I would not recommend losing your way home at night below 25% thirst level...

What I bring is very very simple:

-a full stack of rocks of any type;

-a full stack of sticks;

-3/4 meat;

-9/10 eggs;

-4 javelins;

-if I have them, I also take some torches;

-rarely I also take a crafting table;

-what I find in my path. This includes eggs, meat, gunpowder...

-4 javelins;

._. i seem to run out of javelins too soon, myself... so i do basically the same as you, except that i bring 8 javelins.

._. i seem to run out of javelins too soon, myself... so i do basically the same as you, except that i bring 8 javelins.

The problem is that in the hotbar I keep 4 javelins=5 free slots; eggs and meat=3 free slots; an instrument and torches=1 free slot. I don't use this free slot because I switch to it when I do nothing because I don't like giong around grabbing something that I don't need.

The problem is that in the hotbar I keep 4 javelins=5 free slots; eggs and meat=3 free slots; an instrument and torches=1 free slot. I don't use this free slot because I switch to it when I do nothing because I don't like giong around grabbing something that I don't need.

No no, i meant, 4 in the hot bar and 4 in the inventory. Inventory tweaks is pretty useful as well... :)

No no, i meant, 4 in the hot bar and 4 in the inventory. Inventory tweaks is pretty useful as well... :)

Ah ok this way, and me too use invTweaks. But I am fixed with this number, the 4 for the javelins. Very rarely I craft them and put them in my inventory because almost always I keep raw materials in my inv.

Emergency kit:

Quantum chestplate if I ever need it since my lappack doesn't protect me

I always carry a diamond pickaxe incase my chainsaw and pack run out of EU

Oh wait, wrong mods.

Survival kit?

1: Red steel sword

2: Blue steel pick

3: blast-fire-gravity resistant block stack.

4: stack of best meal I have

5: water bottle

9: fire resistance meals (I'm paranoid >.>)

and a stack of sticks, rocks, and torches in my inventory with a bed too.

Anything more is just wasted inventory. I usually bring a specific tool set depending on what I'm doing, no point in lugging all the tools I have everywhere.

Sticks, Rocks (to make additional Javs and to mark my path), food, water bottles, boat, Pickaxe, prospectors pick, and a bed

That's extremely advanced... I haven't even made metal yet in build 66 and *sigh* i have to upgrade yet again. I have to install mods twice in my personal server and client, guys I'm too lazy for this.

#gonna cry

I don't know about you but im not updating my server until a lot of the bugs are worked out ( white boxes, crashes, etc). Im sticking with Build 66 I think until something a little more stable comes out. Prob not until 69 or later.

For marking your path, I just thought of an idea:

Bring a hoe, till every 16 blocks or so.