Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pakislav

Armors Expanded

18 posts in this topic

How do you guys feel about expanding on the armors avaible in TFC?

What I have in mind is adding more types of armors, which also expand on the way you progress by upgrading to new types of armor as well as the way that they are crafted.

My suggestion for armor tiers is:

(Optional) Gambeson: Requires wool+string to craft.

Leather: Simple leather armor. Requires leather + string(+gambeson) to craft.

(Optional) Studded Leather: Leather armor with metal rings.

Chainmail: Metal armor made out of metal rings. (Optionally requires leather or gambeson to soak in the blunt trauma)

(Optional) Partial Plate: Chainmail armor with metal plates added for increased protection.

Full Plate: Partial Plate worked with metal sheet. (Optionally requires Chainmail armor to be crafted.)

If armorsmithing was expanded like that, it would reflect more closelly the way that our kind have developed it's means of warfare protection.

This suggestion would require additional metalshmithing items:

Metal Rings:

Take a metal sheet and work it either directly into a number of metal rings, or into a wire that needs to be worked further to obtain metal rings out of it.

The way armor would be crafted:

Studded Leather: Take leather armor and chainmail rings, weld on anvil.

Chainmail: Use plans for armor, work chainmail rings into Chainmail Armor stage 1. (Weld with Gambeson/Leather for Stage 2) Weld with chainmail rings for Chainmail Armor Stage 2(3). Work for Chainmail Armor.

Full Plate: Use plans for armor, work metal sheet into Plate stage 1. (Weld with Chainmail Armor for Stage 2). Weld with metal sheet for stage 2(3). Work for Full Plate.

Shoot down entire idea, change portions of the suggestion or all of it, add/remove some things etc. what ever you guys feel like would fit best in TFC in regard of Armors in general.

I like the idea of more types of armors, like light, medium and heavy.

But this will need a new block, the working table, to make leather and gambleson stick together and to make gambleson out of wool, something like a sewing table. with an spinning wheel to make string out of wool. would be very interesting.

I really like the idea, one reason is it gives sustained requirements for leather which otherwise would likely be piling up.

Plus with the new damage system there's a lot more room for different armours.

That said there my be enough already given the different metals that can all be used.

Although if armour ever gave a speed debuff... then this, this I would be fully behind, giving us a reason to use anything other than "the best" is always nice.

I can understand armor giving the player a stamina debuff and maybe a small speed debuff, but the idea that armor is so heavy it significantly hinders a person is very unbelievable to anyone who's worn or seen someone else wear actual armor.

There are many other threads covering new armors but I would like to say I'm completely behind expanding the options for armor, and particularly I would like to see repairable armor like lamellar and mail. Plate armor is nothing to scoff at but protects very little in TFC currently and personally I would like to see plate armor be more difficult to craft and impossible to repair but be more durable and protective. More historically common armors like mentioned here could bridge the gap between the two that plate armor is currently filling in TFC.

I've a hard time believing one could move with absolutely no effect on speed in plate armour, although, I understand why for gameplay reasons this has been turned down before.

Still I'd think if the stamina system is flexible enough that might be a better way to do it regardless.

I got Ninja'd, I was working on how I would write out the same idea. Lol. Good work Pakislav!

Studded leather is leather armor that has metal (rounded or pointed) studs fashioned into it, usually multilayered. Rings fashioned onto leather via straps is ring mail. These usually overlap and are commonly for the chest and ocassionally legs. Good defense against edged/slashing weapons.

Ya know....

One thing i would love to see implemented before expanding on the armor is a reason to actually use the armor. 8). Mobs and the like.

I know they are coming. Cant wait. But since there is already so much metal armor in game, cloth and leather wearables would be AWESOME! Especially if movement is going to be affected by weight carried. Ever tried swimming across a river in chain mail? Me either... Just saying.

Ease of movement and silence while doing so would give a hunter quite the edge... Making leather and cloth more desireable to certain individuals with differing playstyles.

I am all for different types of armor. But textiles and hides need some lovin.

On a side note: full plate armor was evenly distributed over the body giving a knight surprisingly agile movement. Even so much as to be able to get readily into the saddle of their horse. However, in terms of competition, the armor used in jousts was MUCH heavier and more restricting.

For comparison sake, a US Army Troop carries in gear and body armor roughly the equivalent in weight as a knight in full plate (non jousting of course) ;)

i like the idea that armor needs to be built up from cloth to leather(cloth padding) to ring/chainmail(leather /cloth padding).. etc.

i also like the idea that some armor would protect against blunt, while other piercing. i would totally get an anti skely suit!

Renadi, if you have a difficult time believing that plate armor has little to no effect on speed, then simply stuff a bag to 20kg heavy, secure it to your back, and go running. It will slow you down a bit, but if that 20kg were distributed over the whole body as a complete suit of armor, then you'd see it's much more a matter of stamina than strength. There are many people in SCA that wear plate armor that will tell you plate armor is not nearly as encumbering as people think it is by looking at plate armor, and they can run just as fast while wearing plate armor as not. Having TFC apply a significant speed debuff would be hollywood physics and extremely unbelievable to people who know better.

a solid 'equipped' debuff system needs to be in place. every tool and armor needs to have a compounding debuff that changes the game ever so slightly. of course NONE of it should be massive, but a mace should swing a fair bit slower then your dagger. running in your birthday suit should be faster then running in something more. of course not some massive debuff where your moving half an inch an hour, but enough that seasoned players will notice it all.

Oh god... the time needed to smith so many rings... so many...

The rings might be smithed in a bunk, so a sheet of chainmail might be similar to sheet of metal.

But personally I would prefer if rings were smithed differently, to add to the mechanic. Just don't yet know how, fully.

armour has been sugested many times. Leather will be reworked for sure.

MMM i have a good idea to balance heavy and light helmets, its quite simple, just make the screen like the pumpkin but with the borders of a helmet, that will make you feel like if you were actually wearing a helmet and a very heavy one, for example a frogmouth helmet(i think thats the name) it will only let you see through an small horizontal gap, but will bring you lots and lots of protection.

MMM i have a good idea to balance heavy and light helmets, its quite simple, just make the screen like the pumpkin but with the borders of a helmet, that will make you feel like if you were actually wearing a helmet and a very heavy one, for example a frogmouth helmet(i think thats the name) it will only let you see through an small horizontal gap, but will bring you lots and lots of protection.

unfortunately that can be edited with a texture pack, enabling someone to cheat too easily.

Then just make it optional... in a form of texture pack I guess xd

I love this idea, I wish it had been given more attention. I know this post is dead but I figured I might be able to breathe some life into it. There's a mod called minefantasy that did a very good job on this subject. I hope the developer have the time to check it out. I think that this idea could give a fresh take on smp.

I'm all for cloth and leather armours being expanded and stuff, there's a post about cloth making: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/3787-wool-cloth-products-looms/.

Being a roman history reinactor, me and my colleagues craft our own gear the way the romans used to, and I have made my chainmail shirt and other stuff. Not only is cloth padding cool to add to the game but it is absolutely necessary IRL when it comes to wearing armour (armour digging into your shoulders, etc.). As for the whole movement speed thing, yes, it is quite a bit more tiring to wear armour, and at the end of the day you feel pretty exhausted. In general not wearing armour does make you faster and more agile(for example picking yourself up off the ground can be quite challenging while wearing armour, and running is way more comfortable and easy not using any or wearing lighter leather armour). As for crafting, I testify that crafting chain mail is a loong process (it took me about 3 months, dedicating about 3 hours a day to making links and putting and sealing them together). I think there definitely should be some sort of debuff to wearing heavy amor.