Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
madflavius

Brewing, Distilling, and Viticulture: Alcohol!

70 posts in this topic

I am editing the initial post to include my (very first!) Techne model of the distiller I cranked out today.

I have a question: would folks be interested if I included my thoughts into apiaries and the like in this thread? I figure one of the main uses of honey besides as an ingredient in meals would be its use as mead. The combs and wax and all would be useful for other things, but I could include my thoughts here as well.

Also, I'd love suggestions on numbers: how much barley plus how much water equals how much ale, for instance. I think those need some pretty major roughing out.

Got an idea:

FERMENTATION

(Aka; No Wine Before Its Time)

Fermentation happens in vats, but to achieve finer spirits and wine, what if DARK GLASS (glass colored with mineral) could be used to bottle wine and spirits, and thusly stored in a dark space, below a specific light level, and in storing it in this fashion, over time (say year) the effect would increase 1 level.

For example, a bottle of MadFlavius Savignon Blanc with Speed II and Regen II, after 1 year, would have Speed III and Regen III. Any negative effects would of course double as well. Each period of time would "mark" the bottle (code) with a modifier used to increase the base effects.

With the 'labeling' idea, you would know how old a bottle is by the lable.

Over additional time, say another year, there is a chance a third effect (three max) could be assigjed at level I.

The max achievable effect level could be V at 3 game years of storage.

Each bottle, taking into account the time involved, should have multiple uses, say 3 or 4 per bottle, depicted by a durability bar.

Again, MadFlavius, I am thoroughly impressed bybthe amount of thought you put into this. Great job.

The actual process for brewing requires a lot of complex pipe systems and many separate machines. In a game like this, simple but believable is much better, and I believe that this is a fairly simple which is suited perfectly to how TFC does things (multiblock structures and modeled function "blocks" that aren't just a textured block.)

From what I can tell, for just brewing alcohol you don't need complex tools, it requires just some type of carbohydrates (usually sugar), yeast shrooms, lack of oxygen and thermostat of sorts.

WHY IS THE RUM GONE

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkwHJry1po

Cuz i drank it! Aaaarrrr!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkwHJry1po

So... Russian metal version of a boy band? Thats an... interesting concept.

So... Russian metal version of a boy band? Thats an... interesting concept.

Not really. They are kind of... punk... rock band with fantasy... -ish texts. Quite good texts they have, I might add.

As far as I (I don't really listen to them) can tell, they have two male singers (one of which is the guy with spiky hair) and occasionally singing girl, who also plays violin. I don't know who the second singer is, and the rest of the guys are musicians.

Or I just don't understand what "boy band" means. I mean, we have this abomination, it's what I consider to be a "boy band":

Where is Dunk?!! He NEEDS to see this!!

OVER 9000% support!

If sincerely hope Dunk doesn't deny this idea because it's literally so good, even though it seems complicated!

I mean, Dunk knows we all want to get shitfaced together on a server!

Don't go mining drunk! You might regret it! :D

No-no-no. I will definitely not going to mine sober if it will be added.

No-no-no. I will definitely not going to mine sober if it will be added.

Then, if i ever go mnining with you on some server, and this was implemented, i will do my best to try and NOT look like any kind of ore :|

Or I just don't understand what "boy band" means. I mean, we have this abomination, it's what I consider to be a "boy band":

Yup, that's what I meant. But, in all honesty I was just making a joke earlier, because when they switched singers I was like "Hey! that's what boy bands do, I'll make a joke about that!". It wasn't a serious categorization at all. But yeah, boy bands in general are abominations. :P

If this hasn't been picked up yet, I would be extremely appreciative if it would be. I know a ton of people who would brew to their hearts' content. Hell, I'd be willing to alpha / beta test this if it ever goes up. There'd have to be a failure rate for each though. For instance, if you don't brew things right with mead, you'd end up with turpentine. Pretty much, allow it to have a chance of failure if you don't know what you're doing.

Also... MEAD!!! lol

It'd be a fun thing to have. but that's pretty much it.

there are more important things to be worked at.

even If bioxx likes the idea he'll most likely put it rather far back in the priority list.

I don't as much care about the positives but the whole concept of getting drunk makes the game much more fun. Also what if when drunk the game automatically makes typos for you to make you sound drunk.

I don't as much care about the positives but the whole concept of getting drunk makes the game much more fun. Also what if when drunk the game automatically makes typos for you to make you sound drunk.

That would remind me of old school EverQuest. The more drunk you get, the more typos would naturally occur (to the point of max drunk being the following "w Bgq p pbh lmg" from "I had a pet dog")

That would remind me of old school EverQuest. The more drunk you get, the more typos would naturally occur (to the point of max drunk being the following "w Bgq p pbh lmg" from "I had a pet dog")

Holy crap if that isnt a flashback! Lol I so totally remember that. What a blast that game was. The thing i really liked about that game was how hard it was and how you really needed the community to make it in the game. I wish there were more games like that.

Back on point though... i about pissed myself the first time i got shat faced on Red Dead Redemption. The dude couldnt stay on his feet. Too funny.

A drunken mechanic that made your controls all horky and your vision screwy would be sweet.

It'd be a fun thing to have. but that's pretty much it.

there are more important things to be worked at.

even If bioxx likes the idea he'll most likely put it rather far back in the priority list.

Yeah, most likely at least after he adds berries (if he still plans to), and probably herbs as well.

I'd love to have it in the end of development at least.

Suport . And where is Dunk he has to see this. :lol:

I f4cking love this topic to pieces, now i can't imaging terrafirmacraft without it. DUNK GET OVER HERE!!!

I f4cking love this topic to pieces, now i can't imaging terrafirmacraft without it. DUNK GET OVER HERE!!!

Agreed. So much potential for such a large and fun aspect to this mod lies just in this one topic alone. The brewer's fantasy'! I can't wait! TerraDrunkenCraft ftw!

It's not all of what you suggested, but i bugged dunk about it (I was trying to be persuasive, but i must've come off as annoying :P) until he responded with this: "Look bud, you seem really passionate about this. I don't know if I can implement this on the scale you want, but I AM planning on adding wooden barrels, to store various types of liquids, (tannin and limewater in this case) but if it will really float your boat, I'll see if I can stick in a rudimentary implementation of alcohol distilling. It won't impress any breweries, and it will probably be as simple as barley + water + time = beer, but you'll have to live with it, ok?"

.____.

=P

.____.

=P

Priorities Dunk! No one would blame you if you don't add it right away, or at all!

It's not all of what you suggested, but i bugged dunk about it (I was trying to be persuasive, but i must've come off as annoying :P) until he responded with this: "Look bud, you seem really passionate about this. I don't know if I can implement this on the scale you want, but I AM planning on adding wooden barrels, to store various types of liquids, (tannin and limewater in this case) but if it will really float your boat, I'll see if I can stick in a rudimentary implementation of alcohol distilling. It won't impress any breweries, and it will probably be as simple as barley + water + time = beer, but you'll have to live with it, ok?"

SUCCESS! ....now to get Bioxx on board and make it full-scale.... lol

Even though it probably doesn't matter now, I have to say that alcohol serves no purpose in either real or digital life. And anyone who claims that it is actually efficient in anything (including being a fuel, medical base, disinfectant, etc.) is just lying to himself and didn't make any worthwhile research on the subject.

There is no point to adding alcohol in any way, shape or form in TFC other than being a gimmick that yet again serves not actual realistic purpose (except making oneself an actual idiot).

So since in some way that horse excrement is about to make its debut in B77 I thought I should voice my opinion on pushing incredible towards ridiculous as it seems to be happening.

Even though it probably doesn't matter now, I have to say that alcohol serves no purpose in either real or digital life. And anyone who claims that it is actually efficient in anything (including being a fuel, medical base, disinfectant, etc.) is just lying to himself and didn't make any worthwhile research on the subject.

There is no point to adding alcohol in any way, shape or form in TFC other than being a gimmick that yet again serves not actual realistic purpose (except making oneself an actual idiot).

So since in some way that horse excrement is about to make its debut in B77 I thought I should voice my opinion on pushing incredible towards ridiculous as it seems to be happening.

If we are talking about pre-modern societies, alcohol did have an important role, since it was the only commonly available beverage that was safe to drink, at least in Western societies. Sure, it didn't have to be VERY alcoholic (in fact, due to how ethanol metabolism works, if you want to be hydrated, it's better if it doesn't have much alcohol), but it worked, even if only because the first step in manufacturing was boiling the water.

As for fuel, sure, it's not efficent, but if it's the only fuel you have, it's better than nothing.

Meanwhile, from gameplay perspective, it benefits more settlement-centric or roleplay-centric multiplayer, and that's always a nice thing.

Besides, it's been already coded in, and it doesn't damage any other feature, so your argument is irrelevant by now.