Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bob

The OLD Roanoke Thread

627 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

I'm still alive. It was just a crazy weekend. Lots of real world tasks were completed and the wife is very happy, so I am very happy.

I would like to publicly thanks Josh and Psy for stepping up and assisting in running the server. I may have started it, but they breath life into the server everyday. Without them...well lets just say it would be a different experience. Certainly it would be no where as rich as it is. Thank you both.

I would also like to recognize the players. Your a great group! I really enjoy my time interacting with all of you. Thank you for bringing the world to life.

Now, I may not be fully up to speed on all the issuse with the econ at the moment but I can make a few guesses and observations.

The econ in an online game is always hard to regulate. if there is now too much unused coin we have a couple of options. Increase the costs of items. make land cost more. Sell bigger items. The 80 ingot steam loco? maybe its 1000 coins (not a real number just an example). Josh already has most unavailable in TFC items available to purchase in game. You just have to look around.

It would take some work, but we could move away from the coin standard. Maybe now the pig rancher wants a shiny steel shovel for that stack of leather. Move the npc's to a barter system of some sort.

We could also change how much coin is given for items, reducing the supply of coin. It would make the rich guys richer though.

The main problem I see was a complete lack of planning on my part. I didn't intend to have to regulate a full server wide economy, its just grown organically. And at times Its a pain for the admins to deal with. So any solutions we come up with will need to both address the lack of item to spend coin on, and the amount of time and work an admin needs to spend dealing with non automated purchases.

I'm open for all thoughts and suggestions.

It would be nice to find a forge based player store option. You stock it and set the costs, and get the coin. Anyone know of such a forge based mod?

As for PvP. I personalty am not a fan. But that comes from years of playing online games with spawn campers and griefers. However, I don't think that our existing server pop will turn into a bunch of rabid marauders. There are some PvP tools built into my town. we can explore those. But I think they are dependent on the world being set to pvp.

We could enable pvp for a week and see what kind of anarchy springs into existence, then decide if its a good fit or not. Thoughts?

Invasion mod looks fun. I wonder about the damage and hit point scaling though. TFC as you know cranked up the amount of damage and hitpoints on everything by a factor of about 50. So if the invasion mobs cant be scaled, then they will be tissue paper.

Please speak up. Its the nature of playing beta mods that the world will be a little unstable and that eventually there will be a new world generated. We will keep the current map as long as we can, but it will be nice to start the next map with a known set of mods and a clearly defined set of "rules" regarding the social aspect of the game. Ie, towns, nations, pvp, money ect.

Speak up,

Bob

Perhaps the gold sinks should be advertised on the forum first post? I haven't been playing long but I only know of purchasing chunks and that redstone guy that sells expensive stuff. The carrot aspect is good but I also feel there needs to be a stick as well. Currently, owned chunks are lost if the owner doesn't visit in 7 days. That happens usually if the owner leaves the server *sadface*. Instead, the same mechanism can be emulated with the gold upkeep. Adding mob swarms to that seems like a good way to add server events.

The problem with player trade is that I personally don't use it often although I do see a bit happening. Materials in minecraft are generally renewable, extremely abundant or too valuable to trade. The comparative value of a nickel ingot would be extremely high to other useful normal items such as wheat or charcoal. Besides silver, gold, and nickel, the other metals are generally too common to be worth anything to nickel. Besides, you're bound to find a ton digging for gabbro anyways. It is also difficult to advertise for player trade since the supplier and buyer have to be on at the same time for the deal to start.

I played on a server before with trade signs but we had the problem that nobody needed to purchase the material. For Roanoke, I imagine player trade could be incorporated by having a building for a certain resource that anyone can place these signs in. For example, if I had a ton of wheat and wanted to sell, instead of going to the current export hut, I would travel to a town with this resource building and see an admin sign with a base price and signs from other players with their posted prices. I would put wheat into these player signs until they run out of money then dump the rest into the admin sign.

With this method, playing a travelling trader is also viable. Consider two admin trade signs far apart, one is nearer to a giant wheat complex and one is in the frontier. The wheat producer could either sell high but have to travel a very long distance or dump it into a player sign whose owner set it up to trade the wheat off in the frontier. On the return trip, perhaps the price of ore is high on the mainland due to depletion. The main point of the export system seems to be to get rid of excess cheap stuff so the market isn't inundated. If nothing else, I think this would be a good way to automate the process. I'm just concerned about admin fatigue since you already state that it's a pain in your butt.

-sorry slow poster so now responding to Bob's post.

I'm against the idea of just making stuff more expensive since it encourages hoarding to save for that shiny new train. What is really needed IMO are less expensive things so buying is about as easy as going and getting the item yourself. It's the same logic why I don't go raise chickens to eat if I can go down to the supermarket and buy a delicious rotisserie. Manufacturing the item encourages developing your base while buying encourages travel.

Also for invasions, I just want to see a bunch of players plow through a zombie horde on mustangs as javelins and arrows rain down from afar. As for pvp, I don't think many would like it but if towns are safe-zones, I can see how additional chunks are valuable. I think more mob spawn events would be more fun :)

I think the trade sign stuff is in the Essentials Economy mod. It has money not a gold coin item but you could disable that. That way, signs could only "barter" for gold coin items. I hope it's compatible with TFC.

Hmmm...

Chest Shop is a bukkit plugin. We need to look at the bukkit forge plugin and see if we can set it up.

There is alto the Trade-o-mat and personal safe combo from IC2. That's as close as I can find for forge based player run shops.

Bob

I am getting a world ID mismatch when I try to log in. It says that ID 26457 (the punt) is missing. I have the punt.jar in my mods folder, and the .cfg in my configs folder. I tried to change the ID of the punt from 5003 to 26457 in the .cfg, but to no avail. Anyone have any help so I can log back in again?

EDIT: I actually, you know, used the search function, and yubyub said that the proper ID is 26201 for the punt. Putting this in the post here so people who are looking for it too may find their answer. ;)

Edited by madflavius

Can i have a list of towns and nations? I haven't exactly been able to keep track of the settlements of this civilization golden age

Personally I am not into PVP and will buy my way into being switzerland.

Just not interested in that kind of timesink with work and real life.

I am not sure if PvP is the answer. Its questionable. We have to consider all angles tho..

The trading post mod needed a bit more tweaking so it is turned off right now :)

Heya, I intend to do some quest lines that will give players a reason to travel (and indeed learn of and discover) other towns and the features there in.

I hope to start working with the town members to this effect as I don't want to send waves of adventurers to towns that prefer to remain hmm...secluded :)

Likewise for those that do want to have quest lines I'd like to work with the towns folks to ensure the quests are in keeping with their townships and highlight any features or services they have to offer :)

Ping me in game or on the forum (which just emails me at [email protected]) if you want to discuss further :)

Here are a few pictures I took while mapping the country side in the last week or so:

If you wait here long enough, all kinds of mobs start to float up from underneath. The picture doesn't do it justice, you can find it at 17444, -7767.

Posted Image

It grew right through the rock.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have actually played with Joey on another TFC server lately and can say he is both pretty friendly and helpful, with a strong drive for teamwork.

Those mistakes-of-youth happen and my impression of Joey is that he has indeed properly cultivated his maturity since that time.

I would personally pay attention to his behavior (he will probably end up at my place, right under my nose), should you give him a chance, and report if anything is amiss.

From what I have seen, there should be no problems anymore. Hope you will entertain our pleas, Bob. :)

Cheers,

~DreXav~

Ok, We'll give it a shot

JoeyTehPwnzar

Welcome to Roanoke.

mr_munski

Anonymous_Jr

Welcome to Roanoke

Hey good people of Roanoke. I will be away at a meeting for a couple days so please don't up and disappear :) Be back Thursday and have fun while I'm not having fun :/

Hey good people of Roanoke. I will be away at a meeting for a couple days so please don't up and disappear :) Be back Thursday and have fun while I'm not having fun :/

Quick...Hide the roads!

I'm having some issues logging in, involving the Elegant Punt mod. I get this:

Forge Mod Loader has found world ID mismatches

ID 26457 (ModID: awfer_Punt, type awger.mods.punt.ItemPunt) is missing

You cannot connect to this server

I'm having some issues logging in, involving the Elegant Punt mod. I get this:

Forge Mod Loader has found world ID mismatches

ID 26457 (ModID: awfer_Punt, type awger.mods.punt.ItemPunt) is missing

You cannot connect to this server

I am getting a world ID mismatch when I try to log in. It says that ID 26457 (the punt) is missing. I have the punt.jar in my mods folder, and the .cfg in my configs folder. I tried to change the ID of the punt from 5003 to 26457 in the .cfg, but to no avail. Anyone have any help so I can log back in again?

EDIT: I actually, you know, used the search function, and yubyub said that the proper ID is 26201 for the punt. Putting this in the post here so people who are looking for it too may find their answer. ;)

One page back

IGN: Mattbball53097

Why I want to join: I really like mods like TerraFirmaCraft (and Feed the Beast), so I thought this server would be a good one. I am friends with a member of the server on here (RicksterCraft), and he suggested this server. I am a pretty good builder, if I get in the mood, and I am not a very good PvP'er, so this is a good server that I won't get constantly killed on it. Please take me into consideration.

Thanks,

Mattbball53097

Greetings all,

I'm still alive. It was just a crazy weekend. Lots of real world tasks were completed and the wife is very happy, so I am very happy.

I would like to publicly thanks Josh and Psy for stepping up and assisting in running the server. I may have started it, but they breath life into the server everyday. Without them...well lets just say it would be a different experience. Certainly it would be no where as rich as it is. Thank you both.

I would also like to recognize the players. Your a great group! I really enjoy my time interacting with all of you. Thank you for bringing the world to life.

Now, I may not be fully up to speed on all the issuse with the econ at the moment but I can make a few guesses and observations.

The econ in an online game is always hard to regulate. if there is now too much unused coin we have a couple of options. Increase the costs of items. make land cost more. Sell bigger items. The 80 ingot steam loco? maybe its 1000 coins (not a real number just an example). Josh already has most unavailable in TFC items available to purchase in game. You just have to look around.

It would take some work, but we could move away from the coin standard. Maybe now the pig rancher wants a shiny steel shovel for that stack of leather. Move the npc's to a barter system of some sort.

We could also change how much coin is given for items, reducing the supply of coin. It would make the rich guys richer though.

The main problem I see was a complete lack of planning on my part. I didn't intend to have to regulate a full server wide economy, its just grown organically. And at times Its a pain for the admins to deal with. So any solutions we come up with will need to both address the lack of item to spend coin on, and the amount of time and work an admin needs to spend dealing with non automated purchases.

I'm open for all thoughts and suggestions.

It would be nice to find a forge based player store option. You stock it and set the costs, and get the coin. Anyone know of such a forge based mod?

As for PvP. I personalty am not a fan. But that comes from years of playing online games with spawn campers and griefers. However, I don't think that our existing server pop will turn into a bunch of rabid marauders. There are some PvP tools built into my town. we can explore those. But I think they are dependent on the world being set to pvp.

We could enable pvp for a week and see what kind of anarchy springs into existence, then decide if its a good fit or not. Thoughts?

Invasion mod looks fun. I wonder about the damage and hit point scaling though. TFC as you know cranked up the amount of damage and hitpoints on everything by a factor of about 50. So if the invasion mobs cant be scaled, then they will be tissue paper.

Please speak up. Its the nature of playing beta mods that the world will be a little unstable and that eventually there will be a new world generated. We will keep the current map as long as we can, but it will be nice to start the next map with a known set of mods and a clearly defined set of "rules" regarding the social aspect of the game. Ie, towns, nations, pvp, money ect.

Speak up,

Bob

Glad to hear you had a happy weekend with your wife :)

I can't say much about the pvp on the server. To be honest, we seem too small a community right now to support it. I feel like pvp is going to be a bigger factor once TFC 2 is released and the amount of mod players increases.

In terms of the economy, perhaps adding new simpler merchants selling large amounts of simple items such as logs or cobble. You could also include more blacksmiths in towns that sell advanced and premade tools of steels and perhaps pig iron. Maybe even bronze for less advanced civilizations. I feel like it would actually be best to find a way to encourage trade between players than NPC's though.

Hey there,

I'm a friend of DreXav's who recommended Roanoke as a great server to play on. I'm a TFC newbie and still learning my way around the mod but I'd love to be able to do that as part of what seems like a very friendly community.

I've been playing MC off and on for just shy of two years now, including on a couple servers. I usually like to build my own home, but I'm definitely interested in exploring more community-based teamwork. Other than that, I can say that I like to focus on one or two tasks at a time, and doing them well.

Please consider adding me to your whitelist! Thanks :)

IGN: Wikoli

As for PvP. [redacted], I don't think that our existing server pop will turn into a bunch of rabid marauders.

Bob

I will slaughter you all like mewling LAMBS BEFORE A SATANIC COMBINE HARVESTER!!!

But until then, keeping busy =p, new Quest line will be up in Oolania tonight and it's my first attempt at a branching quest line with this NPC mod.

It will be easier if/when Noopes gets round to the dynamic factions update (on his to do list) but until then I think I have a method that will work...

All I'm going to say is thank god for spreadsheets....

I will slaughter you all like mewling LAMBS BEFORE A SATANIC COMBINE HARVESTER!!!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g

But until then, keeping busy =p, new Quest line will be up in Oolania tonight and it's my first attempt at a branching quest line with this NPC mod.

It will be easier if/when Noopes gets round to the dynamic factions update (on his to do list) but until then I think I have a method that will work...

All I'm going to say is thank god for spreadsheets....

whoa, thanks for the contribution!

http://www.gamogora.com/misc/tradebooth/tradebooth.0.2.zip'>http://www.gamogora.com/misc/tradebooth/tradebooth.0.2.zip

This is the link to DL the new tradebooth mod! Delete your old one and replace with this one please, if you downloaded the last one..

You'll have the ability to buy tradebooths in whiterock, and they can be placed then wherever you wish.. but I recommend a high-traffic area :)

http://www.gamogora.com/misc/tradebooth has instructions if you'd like to read them.. there are NO crafting recipes, and we're not going to make any. Purchaseable only from a Tradebooth in whiterock that sells tradebooths... hehe XD