Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sda215

Dynamic Ecosystems

25 posts in this topic

I am very perplexed that this idea has not been fully suggested as of yet. I propose a more lively and dynamic ecosystems in TerraFirmaCraft. Why ecosystems, you might inquire? My reason to bring this suggestion is to fill life and diversity into our one-hundred-and-thirty biomes Mister Bioxx has added in. Oh, and here is a link to the ecosystem page in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosystem

The Basics of an Ecosystem:

An ecosystem is a natural community organisms living together with nonliving components and elements essential for life; all of which interacts as one whole system. All ecosystems can come in any different sizes, despite their specific locations that has limited space. The TerraFirmaCraft world should act as one super-ecosystem, branching off into sub-ecosystems. Each biome has its own ecosystem connected or isolated by other ecosystems from an adjacent biome, and so on and so forth. Ecosystems provide what living need: food, water, shelter, and the like.

Types of Ecosystems:

There are thirteen types of ecosystems; eleven of which are to implemented (for now):

-Aquatic Ecosystem

-Forest

-Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem

-Human Ecosystem: Not to be implemented for obvious reasons.

-Large Marine Ecosystem

-Littoral Zone

-Marine Ecosystem

-Riparian Zone

-River Ecosystem

-Subsurface Lithoautotrophic Microbial Ecosystem

-Urban Ecosystem: Not to be implemented for obvious reasons.

-Movile Cave

-Desert

Explanations of the Types of Ecosystems:

Aquatic Ecosystem:

An aquatic ecosystem is basically an ecosystem submerged in a body of water. There are two main types:

-Marine Ecosystems:

-Marine ecosystems are identified by the major presence of dissolved compounds, including salt.

-Actual salinity depends on varieties of marine ecosystems.

-Depending on water depth and shoreline features, marine ecosystems can be divided into multiple zones.

-I will not go into depth to ALL of them due to the majority of information required.

-Much of the marine life lives in marine ecosystems.

-Freshwater Ecosystems:

I will edit this post from time to time because of its immensive information.

-Sda209

Can't wait to see this when it is done ! .. Your signature is ...... Obtrusive :L

I look forward to seeing where you go with this. I must say, I am rather intrigued...

Hmmm. Interesting. This would open up a lot of cool possibilities, but I await your edit of the post. I will defenitely add ideas to this once you give the primary details. Would like to see more.

If there's an ecosystem there must be a food chain. This idea greatly interests me.

Well, you've don it Sda, you've managed to build up so much suspense and excitement in me over this idea I am completely and totally distracted from getting my college application done. Not your fault, I just can't wait to see where you take this, it could end up amazing.

Good idea, yeah. We already have deers that are part of the forest's ecosystem. But first we need all the other animals, then it will be cool. The first mod having a full working ecosystem...

Good idea, yeah. We already have deers that are part of the forest's ecosystem. But first we need all the other animals, then it will be cool. The first mod having a full working ecosystem...

As well as the first mod with a (very) advanced metallurgy system, and biome system. Along with many other things. And the alpha animals in a pack idea being discussed will help greatly with this.

Pretty sure this has been suggested plenty of times. Maybe not always in its own thread, but the idea has come up before.

The big problem though for proposing this sort of thing, as has been pointed out many times, is that most of it is already decided upon. Tweaking terrain generation is one thing, but re-introducing hard-coded biomes is quite another.

Ecosystem / biome... yes there are technical differences, but not necessarily differences that fit the model TFC has to work with. I'm not sure that this is different than asking for more biomes? If this is not the case though, I will happily rescind the comment.

I still suspect we'll end up where this thread did after I railroaded it at 106.

Aaaaaand the first mod to introduce its own music! Wut up haaaay! Lol.

By eco system do you mean swamps, lakes, tundra, and the flora and fauna found therin, for example?

Cool, just learned the definition of "Riparian"! Never even knew that had a name. Looking forward to seeing the rest!

Pretty sure this has been suggested plenty of times. Maybe not always in its own thread, but the idea has come up before.

The big problem though for proposing this sort of thing, as has been pointed out many times, is that most of it is already decided upon. Tweaking terrain generation is one thing, but re-introducing hard-coded biomes is quite another.

Ecosystem / biome... yes there are technical differences, but not necessarily differences that fit the model TFC has to work with. I'm not sure that this is different than asking for more biomes? If this is not the case though, I will happily rescind the comment.

I still suspect we'll end up where this thread did after I railroaded it at 106.

I think he is talking about more than terrain here, and more about the actual definition of ecosystem:

An ecosystem is a community of living organisms (plants, animals and microbes) in conjunction with the nonliving components of their environment (things like air, water and mineral soil), interacting as a system.

That goes waaaaay beyond biomes, and involves how plants and animals interact and it allows for food chains that can be changed by player interaction, for better or worse, and just generally makes things awesome. Also, ecosystems are something VMC and TFC both lack in the extreme, and at least would be nice in TFC.

(heres the wikipedia link for ecosystems if you want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosystem)

That goes waaaaay beyond biomes, and involves how plants and animals interact and it allows for food chains that can be changed by player interaction, for better or worse, and just generally makes things awesome. Also, ecosystems are something VMC and TFC both lack in the extreme, and at least would be nice in TFC.

Right... but that is exactly what I proposed in the post that I linked to. A completely adaptive ecosystem, where plants and animals are constantly adapting to the local conditions and to each other. It was agreed the idea was more fitting for its own game, so I've been writing about the concept over here, however I do still intend to come up with a simplified version of it for TFC. I have been advised that it is very unlikely to be implemented though because most of this is already set.

i believe he was more focused on the creatures living in that environment and how they interact, as opposed to the biomes themselves. "An ecosystem is a natural community organisms living together with nonliving components and elements essential for life" the environment is equally important as the organisms living in it, but i did look at that other thread you linked, and you had relevant points. if you still disagree after my explanation of what i think sda intended, i'd love to discuss it further with you.

EDIT:

Right... but that is exactly what I proposed in the post that I linked to. A completely adaptive ecosystem, where plants and animals are constantly adapting to the local conditions and to each other. It was agreed the idea was more fitting for its own game, so I've been writing about the concept over here, however I do still intend to come up with a simplified version of it for TFC. I have been advised that it is very unlikely to be implemented though because most of this is already set.

I was just reading through the game you linked, and it's pretty well thought out idea, the kind of game i have been looking for since i started playing games years ago, the kind i wanted to develop back in my younger years but have since lost the ambition.

Ok, but let's see what Sda comes up with here, we shouldn't judge the idea before it's even been put out fully.

(I just realized Sda linked to the wikipedia article in the OP, now theres two links I guess. :P)

i believe he was more focused on the creatures living in that environment and how they interact, as opposed to the biomes themselves.

Yeah... well a 'biome' does include the animals too, but MC just sort of ignored animals so that part of the definition got lost a bit in MC discussions. But yes, the idea I originally had concerned plants in the first post but rapidly grew to include animals too. So it did actually suggest adaptive biomes by the end of that night.

I was just reading through the game you linked, and it's pretty well thought out idea, the kind of game i have been looking for since i started playing games years ago, the kind i wanted to develop back in my younger years but have since lost the ambition.

Thanks - still a lot of ideas in my head that aren't down in that wiki yet too. I feel kind of the same - on both accounts really. I have always loved sim games, but simearth was weak and when spore was announced I was really looking forward to it but the final product was a real let down. I would very much like to develop R-Evo, but I don't know that I really have time any more, being very much caught up with a whole lot of other things in life. If I'd had the idea a few years back after the big crash (I was a trader before the stock market crashed... i stopped then) when I had more time, it would be done by now. But I digress... back to the topic at hand...

Ok, but let's see what Sda comes up with here, we shouldn't judge the idea before it's even been put out fully.

Agreed. I still think it's worth discussing of course anyway. Even if the devs don't want further additions. Most of our suggestions on the board are more like thought-explorations anyway.

Puxapuk, i wouldnt leave ideas like that on the internet very long, especially if there is a background to why said player is there. I would copyright it as intellectual property for sure!

Its important to keep in mind too that while these forums are indeed a great place to discuss ideas, these forums are for TFC and i think the ideas posted in these forums (other than in the off topic sections), should be kept TFC related.

Puxapuk, i wouldnt leave ideas like that on the internet very long, especially if there is a background to whybsaid player is there. I would coPy right it as intellectual property.

I have been labouring over that particular issue. The thing is... I don't know if I'll have the kind of time it needs to develop anyway, so if someone else takes it and makes a great game out of it, I'm kind of happy with that too. I don't really care about money, I just think that good ideas should have something happen with them.

I have been labouring over that particular issue. The thing is... I don't know if I'll have the kind of time it needs to develop anyway, so if someone else takes it and makes a great game out of it, I'm kind of happy with that too. I don't really care about money, I just think that good ideas should have something happen with them.

Well that is pretty fricking awesome of you. And unselfish. Kudos to you, my friend.

For those who are patiently awaiting for me to finish the suggestion, I cannot... My reason is that I am still in education and unable to finish this post until Friday.

However... (I am writing in font 24 so people can properly see!) Iam available during Fridays through Sundays and on breaks. I WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE DURING MONDAYS THROUGH THURSDAYS! I apologize for any misconvience, and I hope that you will be calm and serene, m'kay?

Well that is pretty fricking awesome of you. And unselfish. Kudos to you, my friend.

Thanks. I don't really so much see it as a matter of selfishness or not though, I must admit. I kind of think of it this way: Good ideas make everyone's lives better. People do not come up with good ideas just because they sometimes get money - in fact most of the best ideas were never even worth much money, and we don't pay our big-thinkers much money to do all that big thinking anyway. So I don't see the point of an economic system that specifically enforces silly rules that restrict the deployment of good ideas under the guise that people need an incentive other than the contribution to society itself. Iow, market capitalism worked for a while, but now it just plain sucks and its killing innovation and holding us back. But I'll stop there. We should move it to Off-Topic if it needs to continue lol

Looking 4ward to you're ideas. Hopefully they aren't shot down by misunderstanding and bottle caps like what happened in BOTH of my threads.

And THAT my children, is why I never post threads on the forums anymore.

Looking 4ward to you're ideas. Hopefully they aren't shot down by misunderstanding and bottle caps like what happened in BOTH of my threads.

Don't take it so personally. There's a good rule of thumb in life... 1 in 10 ideas you have will be good. Of those 1 in 10 (10%) good ideas, for every 2 people in a group, it reduces the likelihood of popular support by half. So if there's two of you, then half of your 1 in 10 will be considered good (5%), and if there's 4, 1/4 of that 1 in 10 will be considered good (2.5%), and so on.

So if you're in any group of people presenting ideas, you have to start out with the assumption that at the very minimum half of what you think are good ideas will be shot down, and that number is only going to go up.

None of this is a slight to you, nor even necessarily of your ideas. It's just that more people will think of / be aware of more reasons why something won't work.

But there's a subtext here too... you will disappoint yourself if you expect more than 1 in 10 of your ideas to be good. You will disappoint everyone if you expect more than 5% of your ideas to be accepted by a group of people.

oh don't feel bad, many a good thread has been shot down on these forums, i personally have made a couple threads that have been shot down as well, it happens to all of us

Updated the 'OP' a bit, because of the immense information I founded in Wikipedia.