Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
weylin

Alloy Simulation (no 'fixed' alloys)

36 posts in this topic

I don't hate it, nor love it; i have never seen it applied anywhere, so i just don't know how that would be like : even though it sounds good. However, i know for sure that when Dunk says something is a bad idea, he has his reasons, other than "i don't like this guy's way to write >:-(".

I also know that, as transcegopher just pointed out, alloys (or for that matter, any composite containing metals)'s properties are extremely dependant in so many different things... for instance, the difference between iron and steel chemically speaking is a carbon's percentage between 0,05% and 1,70% (depending on the kind of steel you are making). Minimal percentages of impurities, minimal differences in the way it crystalliced, minimal differences in the temperature it was exposed to, in the composition of the air it is made in, in the amounts of each metal you are using... All that things can drastically change how your alloy will be regardless of the properties of the original metals, it's not just a matter of "tin and copper will make bronze".*Then, it's pretty hard to write a program capable of predicting the properties of X alloy.

*Damn, studying metallurgy was pretty useful for this post... ._.

alloy properties aren't always linearly related to the metal composition. It IS much harder than you think.

There you have, a short version of basically what i meant. Only mine is fanciest 'cause it's more explained In fact they are equally fancy 'cause he's Dunk :

Not having data hard coded into the tools makes everything that much slower. You'd have to be getting and calculating the damage, strength and durability constantly.

Are you serious?

Sure I never saw what minecraft source code looks like, but still.. WTF??

With that information.. no wonder this idea was dumped, too hard.

Only one question bothers me:

how does TFC still runs?

(unicorns and rainbows?)

P.S. even if you have no choice but to calculate.. you shouldn't worry about it, this still doesn't affect the complexity, but who knows.. maybe you can still make it happen :D

P.S.S no offense

Are you serious?

Sure I never saw what minecraft source code looks like, but still.. WTF??

With that information.. no wonder this idea was dumped, too hard.

Only one question bothers me:

how does TFC still runs?

(unicorns and rainbows?)

P.S. even if you have no choice but to calculate.. you shouldn't worry about it, this still doesn't affect the complexity, but who knows.. maybe you can still make it happen :D

P.S.S no offense

When ever you hit a block or an entity, it requests the strength and durability from the tool. Normally this is done with an enum, but you'd have to add a calculation to it as well, which just slows things down. It might not be noticeable for most players but it's a road we don't want to go down.

After reading, I thought of something. I don't know if this would work because I'm not too familiar with MC code, but with my basic knowledge of Java, I think I might have found a work around.

When you switch to a new weapon or your weapon is changed, it would check the ingredients and such. Then it adds that as two integers (Damage and Durability) in the player's folder. Then whenever the block is hit, it'd instead be coded to check the player's data values. This would simulate the hard-coded values (I think, can someone explain hard-coded values) So, here's my opinion on it:

OPTIONAL: If this adds a problem with mouse-wheel swapping, maybe when you mouse-wheels scroll, it waits a bit to see if you swap more before calculating

• Pros

• Allows for faster processing of Alloy mining
    • Gives Alloys a more believable nature
    • Allows for customization in tools
  • Cons

• Slows down the server if too many people are swapping weapons at once.
    • Changes base files and would not work too well with the folder mod idea (I think. I don't know if there's a work-around)
    • OPTIONAL PART: Makes it annoying if you scroll and then click before you gain the D&D values.

• Cons

• Slows down the server if too many people are swapping weapons at once.

As far as i understand dunk, it's even worse and should be: "slows down the server if too many ppl are using weapons/tools at once. Since like dunk said, for each block break it needs to calculate it and that is really too much.

Would be cool if there would be a system where you could save those alloy values and then just take it for every use, like MC does for every tool.

Stop trying to give me solutions. It's not happening.

You understood me wrong, this was just loud thinking, wasn't really trying to force you to implement it. (And i know you good enough, that it won't work, ever.)

You understood me wrong, this was just loud thinking, wasn't really trying to force you to implement it. (And i know you good enough, that it won't work, ever.)

It makes me feel bad when you put a lot of work into thinking out loud because the answer is still no.

That wasn't even a bit of work. What you, bioxx and the other not-so-official developers do for TFC is work. This was nothing. So don't let me bother you and keep on the good path you guys go.

When ever you hit a block or an entity, it requests the strength and durability from the tool. Normally this is done with an enum, but you'd have to add a calculation to it as well, which just slows things down. It might not be noticeable for most players but it's a road we don't want to go down.

"might not be noticeable for most players" - you mean all of them?

I see you're writing nonsense so here: (no idea how much you are serious about programming/modding)

I'll make it short, you don't seam to know much about complexity (or minecraft is awkwardly wrong, but I don't care then..) 1SAN - you too btw (judging from your post),

FYI, removing 1 line from major algorithms like movement equals thousands of lines in block hitting code. (an overkill but still..)

I strongly suggest you to read about "Complexity", so you won't worry about such things.

If you interested in more (I assume you don't know much beyond the syntax)

1) Pointers, memory management and garbage collector.

2) Some basic algorithms (search algorithms, graph algorithms, their complexities and how to use them)

3) bonus++: Complexity classes, P, NP (only if really bored)

4) this list can go forever.. maybe design patterns

I understand the MC code is really really really bad and horrible.. no other ways to explain it's slowness, memory eating and the updates fix:bug ratio (1:10)

And that is why I'm against modding minecraft, but if you "have no choice" then knowing the stuff should really help.

It's like workout, you can't progress if you don't do it right. (maybe only really slow)

P.S sorry, just couldn't ignore it, it may help

I HATE MY BROWSER (always deleting my posts)