Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
warfighter67

Buff to axes

20 posts in this topic

I got started on reading this topic about saws vs axes and, personal experience included, there is no reason whatsoever to even dare making a metal axe because their saw counterparts are better at everything the axe is.

So I'm proposing a change to fix that: When you chop down a tree with an axe, only half of the durability is lost compared to chopping down the same tree with a saw.

warfighter67! Are you out of your mind?! That's such a huge buff!

Ah, yes, it is. But saws give you two and a 2/3 more planks per log (167% more planks), so in theory, a completely even balance would be to make axes take 37.5% as much durability compared to a saw (3/8) [This would mean that you would technically be able to get just as many planks from an axe as you would a saw; it would just take a lot more logs with an axe]; and that's given based on the fact that they are balanced in every other way. It is to my knowledge that axes do more damage in combat, whilst saws are faster at chopping. That kinda balances out there.

But, I digress. 50% less of a durability hit is good enough, and it makes for easier math. I mean, not that it matters much to a computer that can do trillions of calculations per second, but you know..

Ummm...

1. You don't reduce the the amount of durability that is lost per use, you increase the durability.

2. Even if you cut down a tree with an axe, you can use a saw to turn it into planks, so that argument is invalid.

3. I am pretty sure (but not certain) that xes already do last longer than saws.

I agree that axes need a buff, but this isn't it.

I have to agree with warfighter67. Right now, making a metal axe is redundant due to way the current saw tool is implemented. Here is what I'd like to see.

1. Axes should have more durability than saws when breaking logs.

2. Axes should definitely do more damage in combat than saws.

3. Axes should chop down trees faster than saws.

Thus, you would prefer to make and use a metal axe for chopping down trees and using them as a secondary melee weapon, while utilizing the saw for support beams, and better efficiency at construction.

IMO I would just completely remove the tree chopping ability form the saw. Period

trees are chopped down through 3 methods: axe, saw, or two-handed variants of said implementations, although a handsaw would take a considerably longer time cutting down a tree than a axe should, so why not just boost the time saws take to chop it down?

trees are chopped down through 3 methods: axe, saw, or two-handed variants of said implementations, although a handsaw would take a considerably longer time cutting down a tree than a axe should, so why not just boost the time saws take to chop it down?

Because additionally, using a metal axe on trees is not saught after anymore due to the fact that you now lose durability per log chopped in a tree. This causes metal axes (and saws) to go rather quickly, especially if one lives in a jungle or sequoia forest.

My suggestion would make it so axes only lose durability per every two logs chopped in a tree, effectively making them last twice as long. This would make metal axes actually useful again.

P.S. While I don't think the saw should have its tree-cutting ability completely removed, I am in favor of making it take longer than an axe. You can use a saw, but it would take a long time and the blades would dull-out fairly quickly, I assume.

Ummm...

1. You don't reduce the the amount of durability that is lost per use, you increase the durability.

2. Even if you cut down a tree with an axe, you can use a saw to turn it into planks, so that argument is invalid.

3. I am pretty sure (but not certain) that xes already do last longer than saws.

I agree that axes need a buff, but this isn't it.

1. Actually, you can do it both ways. It's pretty simple either way.

2. Thank you for proving my point about making axes useful again.

3. If you bothered to read the other topic, I believe someone there posted (and I can confirm with experience) that saws and axes both share the same amount of durability. Additionally, axes are slower to chop trees than saws.

3. If you bothered to read the other topic, I believe someone there posted (and I can confirm with experience) that saws and axes both share the same amount of durability. Additionally, axes are slower to chop trees than saws.

Test it with a watch and you will see that is not the case.

I can tell you I have done testing with a metal axe and a metal saw, both tin and the saw was faster by around 2 secs

And yes this was tested with a stopwatch several times

Does anybody else think that maybe reverting the axe damage thing might be a good idea?

I'm not sure what the justification of it is, it seems to me encouraging you to chop down the biggest trees was fine, that's how it works in the real world, you find the biggest trees you can and chop those down.

Does anybody else think that maybe reverting the axe damage thing might be a good idea?

I'm not sure what the justification of it is, it seems to me encouraging you to chop down the biggest trees was fine, that's how it works in the real world, you find the biggest trees you can and chop those down.

My guess is it was for a realistic touch... the bigger the tree, generally, the thicker and harder it will be; then it makes sense that the bigger the tree, the more durability it takes. On the other hand, wouldn't it mean that the bigger the tree, the longer time it will take for the axe to break the log...? ._.

I personally think that, instead of taking an X amount of durability equal to the logs in the tree, It should take an axe/saw X seconds to break any non-player placed log, where X is affected both by the material the tool is made from AND the amount of logs in the tree. That way, cutting down sequoia with stone tools is nearly impossible, as it would take your tool a reaaaally long time to break that single block; so for cutting down bigger and bigger trees, you need better and better tools, thus, encourages you to advance through the metal tiers, and also makes building wooden houses harder in early stages. If it's made so only the logs you placed won't take you extra time, it also allows for wooden fortifications (which flint and steel could easily tear down, but hey, i'm not telling you to make a giant wooden fortification :).

I actually think that both axes and saws should be seriously debuffed. How else will we be able to fit in chainsaws and these things:

I actually think that both axes and saws should be seriously debuffed. How else will we be able to fit in chainsaws and these things:

Believability, not realism!!!

Can you imagine how much the game would suck if it actually took an hour to chop down a tree in TFC?!

Can you imagine how much the game would suck if it actually took an hour to chop down a tree in TFC?!

Did you watch the video? Who cares if the beginning of the game sucks, as long as there is something fucking a' somewhere in the game.

Psst! Warfighter! I think that was a joke.

Did you watch the video? Who cares if the beginning of the game sucks, as long as there is something fucking a' somewhere in the game.

Psst! Warfighter! I think that was a joke.

I actually think he's being serious about his suggestion to my suggestion.:P

How about:

• Axes:

• Makes 3 planks
    • 1.5y Damage Dealt
    • Longer Tree Felling Speed
    • 2y Durability
    • Can chop branches off of fruit trees for a chance at a sapling
  • Saws:

• Makes 8 planks
    • 1y Damage
    • Shorter Tree Felling Speed
    • 1y Durability
    • Can not chop branches off fruit trees for a chance at a sapling

• Can not chop branches off fruit trees for a chance at a sapling
Why not this? A saw can do it. Maybe an axe can't because you risk to break the whole branch.

Why not this? A saw can do it. Maybe an axe can't because you risk to break the whole branch.

It's just for balancing purposes. I find people would be more concerned about time restrictions and amounts of planks so that the axe would really only be used for combat and tree felling when using higher tier metal axes. (And yes, y is dependent on the tier of metal)

I think that the amount of durability used to cut down a tree should go like this:

1 for 1 log

2 for 3 logs

3 for 6 logs

4 for 10 logs

5 for 15 logs

etc.

Don't want to find an equation for this.

I think that the amount of durability used to cut down a tree should go like this:

1 for 1 log

2 for 3 logs

3 for 6 logs

4 for 10 logs

5 for 15 logs

etc.

Don't want to find an equation for this.

An equation for that would be hard to come up with.

An equation for the number of logs could more easily be represented by

Posted Image

Which creates a curve similar to the one you're suggesting.