Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
halfmaster1

Dynamic Inventory Size [Better Wall of Text]

122 posts in this topic

Right now, inventories are a bit... stupid. In a chest, you can fit 144 ingots, but if you want to put 19 different seeds in, too bad.

tl;dr: Inventories will have unlimited slots but a cap on size. backpacks will make up for your rather small inventory.

Small wall of text explaining an example of how I think this could work:

EDIT: A bit of a more specific description.

Your hotbar would be all you spawn with. It would start off as one square. When you put something in it, another empty square appears. You can keep putting items in this empty square, and your hotbar keeps expanding. Once the hotbar has over 9 items in it, it would only display the first 9, and the rest could only be viewed when you open your inventory.

Each item would have a certain size, between 1 and 100. An anvil would be somewhere around 95, and seeds would be 2 or 3. In your hotbar, if in your hotbar, when adding a new item, if the total size exceeds 100, then the item will not be allowed to be placed in the hotbar. THe fullness of your hotbar would be shown in a bar, to avoid the dreaded numbers.

You could also craft a backpack, which would add another bar to your inventory (only visible when the inventory was opened), where there would be room for more items. This would be put on your back, possibly conflicting with armour (I dunno here). The slots would funtion the same as your hotbar, but only get displayed when you open your inventory.

If the amount of items you have in one inventory exceeds nine only nine would be diplayed in your inventory, then arrows would be added to the side when you open up it's inventory, allowing you to scroll to view the other items. This would not would on your hotbar when you haven't opened your inventory.

Chest would have a similar inventory, except with sizes 150 and 300 each.

Also, if you have a large amount of weight in your inventory, you will be slowed down SLIGHTLY. No more than slowness II. If you are carrying something extremely large and awkward, such as an anvil or sluice, it would be slowed much more.

This would make inventory management much more interesting and realistic believable. You wouldn't make room by getting rid of small useless junk, you would have to get rid of bigger and more important things. As well as that, having a lot of useless junk on you could make it harder to find items, just as it should.

It also would fact you can carry a mountain with you.

The reason I made this thread is because I am upset that 32m3 of dirt takes up as much room as a seed.

Things are in the process of changing, IE: you have a smaller inv (?), and if you have a inventory full of ore (or other) you are slowed down and have additional effects (?). I for one don't mind the way it is now, I do think having a certain amount of weight in your inventory affecting the player would be cool though.

I don't know about just a weight thing. While a heavy weight might penalize you minority, such as slow down, a light weight might make it so you can't pick up ANYTHING, in my opinion, a fairly major penalty.

I think TFC could definitely use an encumberance system and i know it is coming. But i think the penalty will be cumulative the more crap you keep stuffing in your inventory, either to the point where you simply have no more space, or you just cant move... whichever comes first.

But i think the idea of this thread definitely makes sense and has validity. ;)

I know I'm probably the only one, and I also know this is likely VERY difficult, but I'd like an Inventory Tetris like Diablo 1 and 2.

combined with an encumbrance system.

as well as the ability to physically move objects in the world that we couldn't put in our inventories(log drags, carts to move heavy blocks, etc...).

But I do agree with the backpack idea in general, as an option in the chest slot, also a quiver could perhaps be worn there for the archer types as well.

Agreed.

A backpack to actually give yourself an inventory (With just hotbar without it).

Inventory system like in Diablo, where items actually take space not only slots.

Penalties for having heavy equipment, such us inability to swim, and a slowness debuff and increased hunger consumption.

Making it a requirement to utilise minecarts, carts, wheelbarrows and horses to move big amounts of rock/ore and heavier blocks like an anvil.

To all this, agreed.

But it might be taking it just a tiny bit little too far, given how MC works in general.

It already is a pain, transporting all the mined ore, if you find a huge-ass vein. I am not sure how would the gameplay feel like it we needed to build minecart tracks to move said ore. xd

I like this idea but i like more what renadi said, an inventory space like in diablo 2 or 3, and perhaps make more pile like log piles, for example: placing an ingot on a chest will be a waste because it will take most of the space, but if you click on the ground it will appear like a loose stone block, but with the ingot texture, and you can put more and more ingots in a single block, just to make space a bit more believable.

Also for moving stuff, we need a wheelbarrow to be the cheap minecart, it will move slowly and it will need a premade road, with half-block instead of a 1block jump.

And to lift stuff you can make a crane, it will be easier than making a road for your wheelbarrow.

I know I'm probably the only one, and I also know this is likely VERY difficult, but I'd like an Inventory Tetris like Diablo 1 and 2.

combined with an encumbrance system.

as well as the ability to physically move objects in the world that we couldn't put in our inventories(log drags, carts to move heavy blocks, etc...).

But I do agree with the backpack idea in general, as an option in the chest slot, also a quiver could perhaps be worn there for the archer types as well.

Posted Image

(not meant in a sarcastic way...)

Holy... People actually agree with me?

lmao, did not expect that, I'm used to the minecraft forums and reddit where every addition suggested is something to make the game easier(more boring).

Actually, i think i was one of the first users in the forum in suggesting a Diablo II like inventory system... ._.

Same thing.

If i understood Renadi, yeah, it's exactly the same thing...

But i think the penalty will be cumulative the more crap you keep stuffing in your inventory, either ..., or you just cant move... whichever comes first.

*Shivers*

So many memories of Fallout 3 and NV and TES 4 and 5 just came flooding back when you said that. I've WALKED (as in really, really slowly) across half the Mojave before just to carry some gold bars to my house in the Strip. It was horrible, and I died twice as I got close, due to the local wildlife and not being able to move very fast. So I did it about 3 times actually, if you want to get technical 2.8 times.

On topic, I'm not sure I like that Idea, I would much rather have a system where various containers are crafted to expand the inventory from a starting point. I would be ok with the Tetris/Diablo style one as well, I guess, although aesthetically I don't like it, it would brutally murder my OCD. The way it is now is nice and organized with everything visually the same size, just a preference, but I like it that way.

I personally never liked how I could endlessly run for ever, and often just strolled around in both Bethesdas games.

I personally never liked how I could endlessly run for ever, and often just strolled around in both Bethesdas games.

It's more like jogging, to be honest, but walking was always too slow when I wanted to get somewhere, so unless I was actively RPing I would be constantly running. Also, it's a pain in the ass to stay at walking speed on an xbox controller, which is what I played on before I got a PC that wasn't from 2004.

Love your idea!!!

Maybe you're inventory and hotbar can only carry items of certain size and weight unless it's the item currently selected.

You know, doesn't fit in your pocket so you have to carry it in your hands. When you deselect it, it is placed on the ground as an item in front of you. That way, moving sluices and such would be more believable and balanced.

Also, maybe it could be a combination of weight and tetris-like inventory for chests and inventories and such. So, both idea combined!

Also, maybe it could be a combination of weight and tetris-like inventory for chests and inventories and such. So, both idea combined!

... Like what was already said up there? ._.

Well, the point of chests is that weight doesn't matter, so just tetris-like thingy for them, don't you think?

True, I just mean that the weight can cause them to break/flatten things that are under them. Like if sand was under it and it'd be really heave, the sand would basically break until the sand around it could support it. Sand surrounded on all sides for medium support and chest surrounded on all sides for large support. Kind of like sinking into dirt, sand, gravel, cobble and stuff of that sort.

True, I just mean that the weight can cause them to break/flatten things that are under them. Like if sand was under it and it'd be really heave, the sand would basically break until the sand around it could support it. Sand surrounded on all sides for medium support and chest surrounded on all sides for large support. Kind of like sinking into dirt, sand, gravel, cobble and stuff of that sort.

So... you want chests to be affected by gravity...? 'cause that's the only way i know for them to sink in something else, to be moved. From what i know, you can't move chests in any way except breaking them :|...

So... you want chests to be affected by gravity...? 'cause that's the only way i know for them to sink in something else, to be moved. From what i know, you can't move chests in any way except breaking them :|...

Pretty much.

Yeah, I... I just... I just.

:huh:

Yeah, I... I just... I just.

:huh:

?

Sorry for the really late response I would just like to point you to one of the threads we have previously discussed something similar(yours is different and certainly worthy of a new thread)

Here is the list...

First time discussed...

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/935-backpacks/

First time it had a topic...

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1167-inventory-changes/

My final summary post...

http://terrafirmacra...ch/page__st__20 (Fourth post down)

Dunk's reaction...

Crysyn is working on a mod that limits what you can carry (it might be a standalone game now though)

and he gets kinda antsy about us using his ideas. He used to share them with us and one or two made it into TFC and then he stopped sharing. We'll leave that to him.

I wonder where the heck that went...

Do we have any intel on that?