Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
halfmaster1

Dynamic Inventory Size [Better Wall of Text]

122 posts in this topic

I have added a small wall of text in spoilers on the OP, as an example of how I suggest that this should work.

True, I just mean that the weight can cause them to break/flatten things that are under them. Like if sand was under it and it'd be really heave, the sand would basically break until the sand around it could support it. Sand surrounded on all sides for medium support and chest surrounded on all sides for large support. Kind of like sinking into dirt, sand, gravel, cobble and stuff of that sort.

I think this may be going into the "tedious" side of realism. Well, not really even realism, that chest would have to be made out of black hole for it to pretty much bury itself, otherwise pirates would have had a much easier time hiding their booty. While what you are saying makes sense in a way, sand doesn't "break apart" the little grains just move away from each other because they are actually not connected to the other grains nor does sand compress until it takes up as little space as you want it to, it has volume and mass just like everything else. Even gasses (one of the three states of matter: gasses, liquids and solids. Sand is a solid, but in large quantities can appear to have certain properties of liquids, I guess.) can only be compressed so much, albeit A LOT, but still sand is not a gas, it won't just keep compacting. It will likely compact completely due to the wait of the chest, but wouldn't go beyond that too much. Mostly because the entire fucking earth is "supporting" that chest in the scenario you put forward. Your average chest won't be so heavy it plunges down into the core of the earth (not something that is possible I would assume), so why should it in TFC?

(This may have gotten confusing, I just kinda wrote, and I'm to lazy to look it over now.)

With the sinking in sand thing, it doesn't make any sense.

It isn't quicksand.

Have you every park your car on sand? Did it suddenly get buried?

I have added a small wall of text in spoilers on the OP, as an example of how I suggest that this should work.

This is great! Amazing! Everyone go read that right now! Oh, I love this! Alright so now you have officially fixed all of the world's problems, what are you going to do now?

So, we now have a limiting system, A system that fixes seeds, allows us to have single stack things without ruining our inventory (This means we could use the spoiling mechanic!), adds encumbrance, it opens storage possibilities, all with being an idea that isn't Crysyn's!

Dunk! Where are you? What am I missing?

I don't know.

I don't buy that hotbar expansion thing.

Why not? What is wrong with it? I have seen it in a few games.

Why not? What is wrong with it? I have seen it in a few games.

I also don't really like that idea either, It just doesn't seem quite right...

Hotbars are supposed to provide easy access to important stuff, they should be small and easy to navigate. This is one thing VMC got right IMO. Perhaps we could start out with an inventory that (along with the 9 slot hotbar) can only hold 100. This keeps the hotbar simple and easy, not confusing, while still keeps the 100 limit starting inventory. You should always be able to see your entire hotbar IMO.

-snipped-

Shit, sorry guys. The page crashed on me and when I reloaded it didn't look like it posted, so I posted it again. Guess chrome just hates me... -.-

(If a mod ever wants to delete this that would be fine with me)

DDdddouble post.

Yeah, I think that the hotbar and everything is just the way Minecraft is, and in a good way. I don't think itshould be changed and it would require too much work.

What I think, is that our starting inventory should be limited to hotbar only, and epxanded when we are able to craft backpacks.

By the whole sinking thing, I meant only until a medium wheight chest is on flat land, or a heavy chest surrounded by sand on all 4 sides and on the bottom. It will still be exposed, but it adds a little believability and caution to chests.

By the whole sinking thing, I meant only until a medium wheight chest is on flat land, or a heavy chest surrounded by sand on all 4 sides and on the bottom. It will still be exposed, but it adds a little believability and caution to chests.

I don't see the point, and that is certainly not believable. A chest will not displace a full meter cubed of sand, it just doesn't happen.

I would have it simply sink into a half slab height, but we can't do that in MC can we?

I would have it simply sink into a half slab height, but we can't do that in MC can we?

Wouldn't even sink that much, maybe it would sink about as much as the amount 1 chisel hit takes off. But yeah, I don't think anything of the sort is possible easily in TFC.

*Shivers*

So many memories of Fallout 3 and NV and TES 4 and 5 just came flooding back when you said that. I've WALKED (as in really, really slowly) across half the Mojave before just to carry some gold bars to my house in the Strip. It was horrible, and I died twice as I got close, due to the local wildlife and not being able to move very fast. So I did it about 3 times actually, if you want to get technical 2.8 times.

On topic, I'm not sure I like that Idea, I would much rather have a system where various containers are crafted to expand the inventory from a starting point. I would be ok with the Tetris/Diablo style one as well, I guess, although aesthetically I don't like it, it would brutally murder my OCD. The way it is now is nice and organized with everything visually the same size, just a preference, but I like it that way.

You think walking from Dead Money back to the Lucky 38 is Horrid, Im OCD about items I pick up EVERYTHING! I once left a warehouse at 3000 Pounds and walked just to put it all in the Gun Runners Garbage can to sort then sell what I dident want. Then again If i dident do that I wouldent have 2000 Stimpacks that I could never use in a Million years and 600k Caps.

Oh and Soz for the Shamefulness of me continuing off topic.

You think walking from Dead Money back to the Lucky 38 is Horrid, Im OCD about items I pick up EVERYTHING! I once left a warehouse at 3000 Pounds and walked just to put it all in the Gun Runners Garbage can to sort then sell what I dident want. Then again If i dident do that I wouldent have 2000 Stimpacks that I could never use in a Million years and 600k Caps.

Oh and Soz for the Shamefulness of me continuing off topic.

I love how you knew exactly where I came from and where I was going. I think someone here loves fallout as much as I do. :P

Okay, seeing as you guys are against the hotbar thing, how about only the first nine slots of your inventory are shown in your hotbar, and none of the others can be seen or scrolled to unless you open up your inventory.

Isn't that kinda/sorta what the hotbar already kinda represents?

Sort of, but it would still expand shrink like in the OP. The display would just cap out at 9.

Why would the hotbar need to change at all?

I still don't see why this should happen. Just keep the hotbar static.

What are you adding here, cetainly not believability.

I still don't see why this should happen. Just keep the hotbar static.

What are you adding here, cetainly not believability.

I don't see how believability extends to a magical floating bar that is imprinted into your eyes, this is a case where we just need to work within the confines of a game and not reality.

Exacly my point. Why change the hotbar?

What does changing the hotbar in this way add to the game?

It adds a better inventory.

The current inventory is stupid, this way makes more sense, can be more difficult when it should be and easier when it should be.

Bloomers already use a weight capacity rather than a slot-based capacity. It might be possible to simply give chests a large amount of slots and then tack on a size/weight capacity.

As a sidenote, I'd really like to see craftable backpacks and stuff to manage carrying capacity, on top of a slow mechanic. Backpack to give you more slots to carry things (how much you can carry is as much limited by how many hands/pockets/space-in-backpack you have, as much as it is physical weight. It's not so hard to carry a 20 pound stone, but twenty pounds worth of small nuggets would be hard to manage without something to put them in), and then a maximum weight that applies different slow effects as you get close and surpass it.