Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ExplosionGuy

Tribes with A.I. Controlled Characters

75 posts in this topic

I'd like to post here some quotes, some phrases Dunk wrote today...

Why would you do this. You have that big "Developer" slapped on your title and Bioxx and I have explicitly stated that NPCs are not happening. People are going to think that it's ok now.

The TFC definition of gamebreaking NPCs is any NPC pretty much.

That's all.

I'd like to post here some quotes, some phrases Dunk wrote today...

That's all.

I'd like a link to where that's posted. Even if he really did say that, it's worth trying to convince them otherwise. -_- I haven't seen a single post where Bioxx said "NPCs are not happening." I have seen multiple posts saying that he needs a valid reason. The fact is; the majority of the mod users play it on single player, and the majority of them want NPC's. If that's not a valid reason, nothing is.

Dunk has been saying in IRC that he and Bioxx have decided on a strict no NPC diet. This was only a few hours ago, I would take this as your answer, or just keep going, I don't mind either way.

the only way for npc villages to happen seems to be through fan made addons and/or existing npc mods edited to work to tfc.

the only way for npc villages to happen seems to be through fan made addons and/or existing npc mods edited to work to tfc.

Add-ons after beta, of course. ;)

and the majority of them want NPC's.

And we get back to this... where did you got this from? You can't talk about someone else's opinion if that guy haven't ever stated that opinion. I see there is some guys here posting, adding to the thread with their own ideas and opinions, as well as in other NPC threads there have been; but you honestly think they can talk for every single player that uses this mod?

I'm really neutral in this topic, quite honestly; i probably would try NPCs just once and then ignore them for the rest of the game, 'cause i don't care that much 'bout them. The thing is, both Bioxx and Dunk have said they don't want NPCs (I couldn't find a quote of Bioxx himself saying so; but as you can see in the previous quotes, Dunk leaves quite clear that them both don't want NPCs), so to try and keep the forums working in productive suggestions, i will have to go and show this decission to NPC threads. Sorry for bothering you, guys... but that's how the things are :

As a single-player mode player, I do not want NPCs. I too would like to see where you get that the majority of ssp players want NPCs?

Add-ons after beta, of course. ;)

indeed.

There isn't a poll yet, but when there is one we will see for a fact, if the majority of people want NPC's.

I think NPCs might throw off the "feel" of things, in a way.

If there were to be NPCs, I don't think they should be human though. Maybe like a gnoll or kobold camp or something.

There isn't a poll yet, but when there is one we will see for a fact, if the majority of people want NPC's.

Well, according to the poll in this thread the best you can say is that a close pluratiy want NPCs of some sort.

The results of this poll are utterly meaningless, however, as it has been made quite clear that NPCs are never being added, no matter how many players want them.

I feel I should say this again, That's a lie.

Bioxx has not said no NPCs ever, he's said no NPCs unless a valid reason is given for them.

Now, we've seen that some of us think there's a valid reason already, and Bioxx disagrees, so either he's got something in mind to solve the problems we're citing the need for NPCs to solve or he thinks he'll find a way to solve the problems without using them, either way if the problems still exist and NPCs are a solution that makes sense I'd assume Bioxx is willing to add NPCs if it benefits the game.

Bioxx has not said no NPCs ever, he's said no NPCs unless a valid reason is given for them.

Now, we've seen that some of us think there's a valid reason already, and Bioxx disagrees, so either he's got something in mind to solve the problems we're citing the need for NPCs to solve or he thinks he'll find a way to solve the problems without using them, either way if the problems still exist and NPCs are a solution that makes sense I'd assume Bioxx is willing to add NPCs if it benefits the game.

In fact, apparently Bioxx later said a final "no" on NPCs. I guess that's why the new sticky on this subforum is there...

And then NPCs resurfaced and he said no, never directly mind you, but Dunk has confirmed this many times in IRC. And there is also that nice new sticky at the top of this forum that hopefully will convey the point, which is NO!

I really wish Bioxx would actually state this then, all of the evidence in the forums directly has been of him specifically saying not unless there's a good reason.

I think that was his way of suggesting that there is no such thing as a 'good reason'.

I think that was his way of suggesting that there is no such thing as a 'good reason'.

Are you saying Bioxx has NO reason for this?

Are you saying Bioxx has NO reason for this?

Nope, he's refering to that so quoted phrase in the FAQ where he said "No NPCs without a good reason", in short ._.

I really wish Bioxx would actually state this then, all of the evidence in the forums directly has been of him specifically saying not unless there's a good reason.

Welp, now he has, he amended the old regarding the pro pick thread and added NPCs to it. Now we have a running list of "NO!" topics. :D

If you don't mind, to halt the derailment for just one second and get back on this blasphemous topic.

What if the NPCs were tribes of naenderthal-like humanoids that are cannibals and can't communicate with the player, living in caves and simple shelters/villages, attacking the player on sight.

They would qualify this way as hostile mobs. Killing them should be hard and challenging, but once you do, you get a little bit of usable materials from their village.

Sounds cool?

NPCs

There are plenty of things that NPCs could be used for in TFC but none of your reasons are good enough for me to want to have to add NPCs to the equation on top of everything else. Whats that? Your idea IS good enough? No its not.

Once TFC leaves beta and we have in place an easy way for others to create mods targeted at TFC and you want NPCs then by all means add them. It is not and will not be a focus of our development.

quoted from: http://terrafirmacra...ert-topic-here/

nothing said but as a mob, his idea is pretty decent, just make then permahostile, or use the vanilla stone golem IFF (identify Friend Foe) system to toggle it :D (even zombie pigmen have it)

If you don't mind, to halt the derailment for just one second and get back on this blasphemous topic.

What if the NPCs were tribes of naenderthal-like humanoids that are cannibals and can't communicate with the player, living in caves and simple shelters/villages, attacking the player on sight.

They would qualify this way as hostile mobs. Killing them should be hard and challenging, but once you do, you get a little bit of usable materials from their village.

Sounds cool?

Don't call it an NPC, because you just described a mob. That was your first and fatal mistake with this...

This needs to be derailed again, but I'm not up for it atm, any volunteers?

Alright guys I am leaving this post here in its form as a bit of a warning/example. You may be wondering why I did not simply delete and remove all posts like I have done before to clean up a topic that has gone way way off topic.. The simple fact of the matter is this. We expect you to use this particular part of the forums for being suggestive BUT ON TOPIC of the mod and things for it. What I am not going to do THIS time and THIS time only is give every person who has a deleted post up there 5 warning points PER POST (And guess what happens to people who fill up their warning bar?).

This takes time out of my life because people feel here is the time and place to waste time in their lives. Go poke around the other forums, go chat on IRC, go do something. But do not clutter up posts here to the point of uselessness.

If you would like to talk to me about this then by all means hop into the IRC.. Any PM's on the forums, even apologies, will simply be ignored... again refer to time wasted remarks up above.