Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Just_Another_Guy_:)

Your gamer's obsession?

51 posts in this topic

I was going to write a full boring wall of text for this thread, but for once i thought: "Why the f+ck do it?". So yeah, i'm going into the question directly: Are you, or have you ever been, obsessed with a game to a point where, literally years pasts the last time you played, you beat it in less than an hour? I'm, of course, talking about games that do have an end to reach.

Let's see if my personal case helps a bit to clear out this: Around 2 years ago, i discovered one of my still favourite games: Amorphous+. Today, i started playing again. There are 110 achievements in this game, the objective being to get them all; right now, i have 70. And no, it's not an easy peasy game, it can be as hard as hell : (test it out by yourself if you don't think so).

So... yeah, the previous question ._. ever got something similar?

I have had gaming obsessions, but not with games i like to try and beat in an hour.

Bethesda got me hooked in '92 with Elder Scrolls: Arena. My veins flowed with Mountain Dew for weeks! And i mean weeks!

i had never seen a game with such depth.... and then Daggerfall came out....

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

'Nuff said.

If my friend and I dusted off Halo 3 again I'm sure we could do a nasty (good nasty, not bad nasty) speed run through the campaign, maybe not an hour, closer to 2 if we didn't make a lot of mistakes. We must've played that last level at least 20-30 times by now, each time it is just as awesome. :)

*SPOILER ALERT* for those who haven't played Halo... *SPOILER ALERT*

The last level of Halo 3 consists of driving the equivalent of a Jeep with a massive mounted chain gun on it over an alien planet (not actually a planet, but close enough) that is imploding in a very fiery manner. It ends with you making an epic jump into the belly of a waiting ship as the ground collapses just behind you. Of course this is all timed and if you flip over you will a.) lose precious time and/or b.) you will be overwhelmed and consequently fucked up by hordes of enemies that wouldn't be able to catch you if you were driving. So yeah, it's an epic level.

I have also sunk hundreds of hours into the Bethesda Fallouts and TES: Oblivion and Skyrim. I would say at least 600-700 hours over all of them, if not more. (I really need to try TES: Arena and Daggerfall, and Morrowind too I guess, I just need to actually do it. :))

Oh, and I got to the point in Pokemon Ruby where I could beat the elite four with a single pokemon (a level 100 dodrio). Sadly, this game got stolen from me by a little prick who when I tried to get it back wouldn't give it to me because I was "too old" for it. I was 12 (he was only 10 or 11) and a gamer, why would I have been too old for it? Anyways, the only way I could've gotten it back was to literally fight him for it, I always regretted not doing that... (Now this kid is a natural con artist, figures. -.-)

I may have never had a game I could beat in an hour, but I have definitely had games I have sunk insane amounts of time into. (There are more than I have talked about here too, I' just too lazy to list them all. :P)

(It goes without saying, that I have been (and am) obsessed with Minecraft, in about a year now I've racked up hundreds of hours... No game has gotten me that hooked before, except for Skryim. :P)

(It goes without saying, that I have been (and am) obsessed with Minecraft, in about a year now I've racked up hundreds of hours... No game has gotten me that hooked before, except for Skryim. :P)

I honestly think a great percentage of the users of this forum are guys (or girls) that played so much vanilla survival mode they got sick of it's flaws... I know i am :

I honestly think a great percentage of the users of this forum are guys (or girls) that played so much vanilla survival mode they got sick of it's flaws... I know i am :

Yup, then I turned to mods hoping to find solace there, but as a few mods became several, and several became dozens, and dozens became baker's dozens I could not find one that truly fulfilled my true desires. And then, as if the clouds broke to cast down holy rays of bright sun beams, I stumbled upon (quite clumsily I might add) a mod called TerraFirmaCraft. I thought that I had found all my hopes and dreams that I had yearned for for so long, but alas, I joined the forums and became a cynical, grizzled vet along with all the rest. The only hope of ever fulfilling those dreams is to get my ass in gear and learn Java. But I must climb that mountain another day, because I have to do... well, other stuff, I guess.

This is kind of that, I replay Severance: Blade of Darkness once in a while.

Now it goes to the point when I almost never getting hit by enemy in this game. Shame no one wants to make real spiritual successor of Severance nowadays.

Pokemon

My first obsession. Played Red, Blue, Yellow, Card Game, Card Game (the GB game), Gold, Silver, Pokemon Snap, Sapphire/Ruby, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, White2. Most of them, as you can see. I love the math behind the scenes in these games. EV training has always been enjoyable for me.

The Sims

A friend in middle school got me into The Sims and I am terrified to think about how many hours I spent just building and decorating houses.

WoW

Started in Burning Crusade, top healer and general theorycrafter on server, switched to mage in Wrath, top mage until I quit playing. Played off-and-on with Cata

GTA4

Used to play for hours and hours on end doing nothing in particular. All my friends stopped playing though.

Terraria

~400hrs of gameplay, every item in game, nothing left to do

I haven't really been obsessed with a game since then. It is actually a little depressing at times. I miss having a game that I enjoy so much that I can sit down and play it for an entire weekend.

I played lots of games, but I don't remember them all.

Also I can't say that I played games with an end for a lot of times, because I tend to end them quickly. Games like minecraft, that don't have end could be played forever.

However here are my games:

Terraria:

Yeah like Ditto :D .

Gnomoria:

Still a bit addicted.

Minecraft:

Not addicted, but if you call it TerraFirmaCraft, then yes, still addicted.

Some city builders:

Not addicted, I played them in the past.

Canvas Rider. A game where you must draw your tracks:

Not addicted, but very rarely I play it.

Dead Space:

Only chapter one, because I still need to buy the 2 and the 3 is coming soon! I restarted it, then 1/4 addicted.

Dwarf fortress:

I played it in the past and I was addicted, but now I play Gnomoria (Thanks to EstebanLB that named this game).

What else...

There are others that I will post later.

Oh yeah, also adventurecraft :)

Dwarf fortress:

I played it in the past and I was addicted, but now I play Gnomoria (Thanks to EstebanLB that named this game).

I love Dwarf Fortress, but I can never play it for more than short intense bursts, I will play it every month or two for 4 days straight as much as I possibly can, but then I lose interest. I always come back to the same fort, but It just doesn't hold me for long periods. So I can't say I'm obsessed with it, but I do love it. :D

I love Dwarf Fortress, but I can never play it for more than short intense bursts, I will play it every month or two for 4 days straight as much as I possibly can, but then I lose interest. I always come back to the same fort, but It just doesn't hold me for long periods. So I can't say I'm obsessed with it, but I do love it. :D

I'm so bad at DF :( I really like it though. I just wish I could keep my Dwarves from dying within the first 5 years. It's usually caused by overpopulation.

The same happens to me and it happens also with gnomoria, but less. Also this game still needs the beekeeping and other features of DF...

I have always been a big fan of the PS2 Gen platformers, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter etc. One I will always cherish from my childhood (though not a spectacular game) is TY the tasmanian tiger (and its sequel). Something about it makes it a LOT more charming for me than other platformers. I must have completed the first about 20 times, and the second 10-ish times. For some reason I haven't bothered playing the third, maybe i'm just scared they'll f*ck it up :/

I have always been a big fan of the PS2 Gen platformers, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter etc.

You!!! You too played these! Cool! Me too when I was a kid. I had jack 1-2-3-x and Ratchet and clank 1-2-3-size matters and secret agent clank.

EDIT: I still have them :3

You!!! You too played these! Cool! Me too when I was a kid. I had jack 1-2-3-x and Ratchet and clank 1-2-3-size matters and secret agent clank.

EDIT: I still have them :3

I think the measure of how addicted you are to a game is when you remember all the sound effects XD

I think the measure of how addicted you are to a game is when you remember all the sound effects XD

What sounds? The ones of these games like the first song of the second world of ratchet 1?

Also, I ended all those games :D

the halo franchise, mass effect series, COD black ops (and no im not a codfag, thank god) prototype, loads of games i havent listed that i put loads of time in, but there was 1 game i was always the best at:

James Camerons Avatar (wtf right?) basically, its a 12 v 12 (quite dead now) shooter/stealth/skillbased pvp with epicl evel design, 50 points limit per match, i ALWAYS racked up 20-0 + scores every game, and there were some GOOD players among that :D i think its because i never rushed at start, i ran forward, and stopped right before the usual clashing point, where either team wins, and if the enemy won, i could pick them off just fine :D

prototype

... I wish my computer was good enough to play this game ;-; or prototype 2... or both.

I am quite the game-freak, I love games, I really do.

Let's see if my personal case helps a bit to clear out this: Around 2 years ago, i discovered one of my still favourite games: Amorphous+. Today, i started playing again. There are 110 achievements in this game, the objective being to get them all; right now, i have 70. And no, it's not an easy peasy game, it can be as hard as hell : (test it out by yourself if you don't think so).

I thought I was the only one that freaked out about Amorphous+, I got like 90 achievements and lost it all from switching up PCs... A great game indeed.

I have had gaming obsessions, but not with games i like to try and beat in an hour.

Bethesda got me hooked in '92 with Elder Scrolls: Arena. My veins flowed with Mountain Dew for weeks! And i mean weeks!

i had never seen a game with such depth.... and then Daggerfall came out....

Elder Scrolls is a great franchise, but I thought the biggest achievement in those series was the ability to "craft" your own spell, wich got lost in Skyrim... Too bad.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

My childhood... 'nough said.

I have also sunk hundreds of hours into the Bethesda Fallouts and TES: Oblivion and Skyrim. I would say at least 600-700 hours over all of them, if not more. (I really need to try TES: Arena and Daggerfall, and Morrowind too I guess, I just need to actually do it. :))

Oh, and I got to the point in Pokemon Ruby where I could beat the elite four with a single pokemon (a level 100 dodrio). Sadly, this game got stolen from me by a little prick who when I tried to get it back wouldn't give it to me because I was "too old" for it. I was 12 (he was only 10 or 11) and a gamer, why would I have been too old for it? Anyways, the only way I could've gotten it back was to literally fight him for it, I always regretted not doing that... (Now this kid is a natural con artist, figures. -.-)

I may have never had a game I could beat in an hour, but I have definitely had games I have sunk insane amounts of time into. (There are more than I have talked about here too, I' just too lazy to list them all. :P)

Bethesda has great games indeed, but Fallout was great until the third one which is just meh... Pokémon is an outstanding series, a trully amazing game, good little stories and addictive.

Pokemon

My first obsession. Played Red, Blue, Yellow, Card Game, Card Game (the GB game), Gold, Silver, Pokemon Snap, Sapphire/Ruby, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, White2. Most of them, as you can see. I love the math behind the scenes in these games. EV training has always been enjoyable for me.

The Sims

A friend in middle school got me into The Sims and I am terrified to think about how many hours I spent just building and decorating houses.

WoW

Started in Burning Crusade, top healer and general theorycrafter on server, switched to mage in Wrath, top mage until I quit playing. Played off-and-on with Cata

GTA4

Used to play for hours and hours on end doing nothing in particular. All my friends stopped playing though.

Terraria

~400hrs of gameplay, every item in game, nothing left to do

I haven't really been obsessed with a game since then. It is actually a little depressing at times. I miss having a game that I enjoy so much that I can sit down and play it for an entire weekend.

Terraria made me sad when I got to the point I haven't nothing else to do...

GTA series was good, not great for me.

The sims, when I played it I felt bad for myself... My sim had more accomplishment in his little life than me in my whole life...

the halo franchise, mass effect series, COD black ops (and no im not a codfag, thank god) prototype, loads of games i havent listed that i put loads of time in, but there was 1 game i was always the best at:

James Camerons Avatar (wtf right?) basically, its a 12 v 12 (quite dead now) shooter/stealth/skillbased pvp with epicl evel design, 50 points limit per match, i ALWAYS racked up 20-0 + scores every game, and there were some GOOD players among that :D i think its because i never rushed at start, i ran forward, and stopped right before the usual clashing point, where either team wins, and if the enemy won, i could pick them off just fine :D

COD and BF are great in MP, SP is just sad... Are like tutorials for MP...

I have to add some games here:

Harvest Moon, until it got to PS2, skip that.

Uncharted Waters, snes, trully beautiful game, done an amazing job at exploring, trading and meeting NPCs.

Borderlands 2, borderlands 1 was good, but the second is AWESOME! Great story, amazing characters... Awesome

Diablo series, even the third one got me hooked.

Witcher, great story and the second one has trully amazing graphics. Gameplay wise is meh...

X3, F**k YEAH, whatever you want from a space sim game is there.

Space Empires 5, had this feature where you could design your ship however you wanted and a nice science tree.

Crysys, well... Great game, and inspired a lot on new games.

Rage, Amazing surroundings and the AI/movement of enemies is great.

Prototype I like the concept.

Guitar Hero got me a girlfriend...

Far Cry 3, great game, is like a revival of tomb raider.

Project zomboid, has a good premise, the RC3 promises a LOT.

Dwarf Fortress, the Fortress got me so amazed, how it inspired the new generation of games and all... is just awesome.

Heroes of might and magic, until the 4...

I shall add more when I remember

I thought I was the only one that freaked out about Amorphous+, I got like 90 achievements and lost it all from switching up PCs... A great game indeed.

Right now i have 99 achievements. F+cking torchies, why they ALWAYS appear in front of me in the exact moment i'm swinging the sword? suicidal bombers... >__>

EDIT: Yes, an edit 5 hours later. I just feel like telling you guys this...

swinging the sword towards the edge, as always, a torchie appears and my armour is blown apart. In rage, i try and run to the flames to kill myself. An inkie repentinely runs into the fire and the explosion kills me. This games hates me -__-

Obsessed with the Sly Cooper series ever since I got Sly 2: Band of Thieves. I am so pumped for Sly Cooper: Thieves in TIme, coming out on February 5th, 2013!

Completed amorphous+ already ._.that took shorter thani expected... i got better at it.

Perhaps not to the extent expressed in the OP, but I play System Shock 2 about once every 6-10 months.

Mildly surprised no TFC forumgoers are into KSP. I was starting to think 0.18 release was part of the reason dev slowed down a bit lately;)

click for album http://imgur.com/a/KnV3H

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mildly surprised no TFC forumgoers are into KSP. I was starting to think 0.18 release was part of the reason dev slowed down a bit lately;)

click for album http://imgur.com/a/KnV3H

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Woooow there are some people (me included) that would be happy if you teach us in the IRC how to do such things :) !!!!

Nice, very nice. Also there is an user in the IRC called Puma, and you can help him doing his spatial station, and maybe...help me too in my first munar landing :D