Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kionashi

You cant skip the night

45 posts in this topic

I use to use the mod Somnia with TFCraft. Its been a while sense Iv used it but iirc you could sleep any where you wanted (on a bed), but instead of just skipping the night it rapidly simulated it. This would allow for crops to grow, metals to cook and most importantly monsters to spawn, roam around and even attack you if you where left exposed. That means even creepers could explode on you if one found you.

Making it unwise to sleep out in the open. And when you did wake up in the morning (or if you wanted, earlier) there would be monsters still out and about as if you stayed up all night. Unlike now if you go to bed soon enough none get a chance to even spawn.

It felt like a perfect fit. I dont know how compatible they are now how ever.

I dont know how compatible they are now how ever.

Considering that the mod hasn't been updated since 1.2.5, they are extremely incompatible.

I do think it's kind of silly to be able to just plop down a bed and sleep out in the open. I did it for the first few nights in my new world and it just felt, I don't know, like cheating? I didn't have to worry about ANYTHING. No mobs woke me up. Nothing.

A simulated world while in bed? I'm all in for that. I really like it because it would allow you to go take a nap during the day - which helps re-gen health. It would also be great to have crops/trees grow as well.

Being able to dig and hole and hang out in it for the night is a hard thing to combat. Running around at night is deadly as it is now. Skeletons are super annoying. I don't think there is any way to really get around that. When you start playing TFC, you have to be on the ball, get your materials, and set up a shelter. If you don't, try your luck running around, or dig yourself a hole and go get something to eat (IRL).

Crops and trees growth handled through the world time along with animal growth and pregnancy, so they are growing anyway, even when in unloaded chunks (well, not really, they instantly catch up with time when being loaded), so don't you worry about that.

So, really question in simulating monster AI, maybe bloomeries and item cooling as well. Ugly part is that code should be quite complicated, as I see it, to account the fuel and temperature possibly changing. Also, it will take a while on heavily populated servers.

I wanted to suggest 3rd option, but I found this topic.

If I am not mistaken, 3rd option was a part of vanilla minecraft, but it was removed in one of updates even before release. If you had dark spots in your house or even just forgot to close a door then you'll wake up and see a mob near you that attacks you (time still goes so after 2-4 mobs the night will end). Sometimes it really was a creeper. I do not know how it worked but seems minecraft just simulated all night. You could built high tower 1x1 with 1x2 floor in top to place bed (TFC physics will not allow this trick). SMP worked the same way.

This system was more interesting and challenging than current. Now you can sleep anywhere you like. Monsters are not the problem because you have about minute after you can lay into bed and before mobs start spawning.

And now if you skip night before any mob spawns no mobs will be present on surface. With old system you could met a creeper waiting you near your door or round the corner, or you could run around and collect bones of burned skeletons. So if you will implement this it will be great.

P.S. Sorry for bad English.

No, that was just a zombie spawned near bed, I believe. Much easier and don't require anything to be simulated. Bed could also spawn monsters in completely lit up places if the bed was too close to the wall i.e there was dark spots at about three or so blocks away from it.

Or maybe it did several cycles of mob spawning thread, but I don't recall seeing creepers at day if I slept properly (to be fair though, I don't recall me sleeping properly at those times, in minecraft included.)

I know about that bug with bed and even now I do not place bed near wall(i can place it in wilds but never near wall :) ). And now I recall that furnaces didn't smelt anything during the night so it really was just several mob spawnings, but I definitely saw items that dropped from mobs burned in sunlight and I always build houses with several exits to avoid creepers, because they were spawning every night. But night world simulation is more realistic: trees grow, fire burns and mobs can find you. There are 20 world ticks per second(am I right?), is it possible to disable speed limit when all are sleeping? And to simplify server work if mob is not in some radius from player or it cannot find a way to player it just freezes till dawn; else you wake up and can't sleep because "some monsters are near". If done that way the game on hard difficulty will be really challenging, because zombies will break your door and try to kill you.

1.-Changing the recipe of the beds to make them need metals: this would prevent you for skipping at least a few nights in early game

I wouldn't say to go as far as to require metal. That would mean you would have to skip many, many nights. Metal isn't easy to get you know. I would something more like first a fur cot (pile of furs), then a simple mattress (fur and wool), then a full bed. I know Dunk and Bioxx are somewhat for this idea, at least according to the posts I've seen. Each bed would give debuffs such as weakness or slowness for a couple minutes after waking up. I mean, a full mattress bed is obviously going to be more comfortable, and cause much less pain than a fur pile.

3.-Simulating the environment while sleeping: This is the most appealing but also the hardest to implement...is something like the mod Insomnia, so when you sleep at night the world will be simulated until dawn (at high speed) so if you are outside there is a change to being kited by a Zombie or skeleton and forcing you to wake up in the middle of the night

Do want.

Do want.

What? Tiers of beds? Yeah, totally. :P

What? Tiers of beds? Yeah, totally. :P

eyeh, yeah i suggested this a while ago. Dunk (well i'm pretty sure it was Dunk) said that better tier beds would pretty much be just for bragging rights or accomplishment because they wouldn't give any real bonus over the lower tier ones

eyeh, yeah i suggested this a while ago. Dunk (well i'm pretty sure it was Dunk) said that better tier beds would pretty much be just for bragging rights or accomplishment because they wouldn't give any real bonus over the lower tier ones

Well, it would still have the bonus of lower tier beds being pretty crappy, and mid tier beds (a fur cot) would be pretty much what we have now. After that, it is just, like you said, bragging rights.

But then again, wouldn't being able to bling up your bed be awesome?

Well, it would still have the bonus of lower tier beds being pretty crappy, and mid tier beds (a fur cot) would be pretty much what we have now. After that, it is just, like you said, bragging rights.

But then again, wouldn't being able to bling up your bed be awesome?

yeah but i think the point was that even the least bed would work just as well as the most fancy and extravagant one

yeah but i think the point was that even the least bed would work just as well as the most fancy and extravagant one

But still. BED BLING! How awesome is blinging up your house with a fourposter king sized bed?

I absolutely hate being forced to wait around. It's not exactly hard to protect yourself at night. You only need a handful of logs and maybe some dirt and you can create a 1x2 space to stand in while you wait for morning.

It's already a pain in the butt to have to do this when you're exploring and don't make it back in time (and forgot a bed). Or if you get lost or whatever. Standing still and waiting for dawn is the least fun part of minecraft period. I am not sure why we would want to make it happen more often.

I am, of course, in favour of more elaborate sleep systems, whether that is in how the game simulates the dangers of night, or whether that is tiers of beds.

I absolutely hate being forced to wait around.

Use the Zombie Awareness modification by Coros; it's perfect for boring nights!

P.S. - I am not responsible for tens of hundreds of hostiles chasing you throughout the night.

I have found a good idea for this bed problem, How about the normal bed recipe will get scrapped, And Instead a way to make some kind of bedroll, The bedroll will let you skip a Night, But then dissapear when used. And later on in the game you can make a Actual bed what stays with you.

I have found a good idea for this bed problem, How about the normal bed recipe will get scrapped, And Instead a way to make some kind of bedroll, The bedroll will let you skip a Night, But then dissapear when used. And later on in the game you can make a Actual bed what stays with you.

The problem with this is, it isn't believable. Just like the OP added random debuffs for no reason, this makes no sense. WHY does the bedroll disappear?

The problem with this is, it isn't believable. Just like the OP added random debuffs for no reason, this makes no sense. WHY does the bedroll disappear?

I see your point there.

Because he's been playing too much Don't Starve.

That bothered me so much, I mean, I know I'm not that clean, but my bedroll shouldn't dissolve after one night!