Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
efth

How to find better metals like hematite?

59 posts in this topic

Cave ins only seem to happen when you dig a block that is above you, digging straight forward or down won't cause it.

Also, as far as scattered veins go I hear garnierite seems to do that a lot.

Cave ins only seem to happen when you dig a block that is above you, digging straight forward or down won't cause it.

Cave ins happens also when you make a 2 blocks tall and 1 block wide tunnel. It can happen if you mine the block below and then the block above. If you mine the block above and then the block below, it will not happen.

I am down around 60 depth now mining, compared to the old generation this one is horrible.

I have found so much sphalerite that i could build an entire town out of it.

I even went up to 90 and start propicking, again sphalerite.

every single vein ive hit below the starter layer is sphalerite.

f-in ridiculous.

FYI just to talk about how broke it is.

Sphalerite is spawning in Basalt also now.

I am down around 60 depth now mining, compared to the old generation this one is horrible.

I have found so much sphalerite that i could build an entire town out of it.

I even went up to 90 and start propicking, again sphalerite.

every single vein ive hit below the starter layer is sphalerite.

f-in ridiculous.

FYI just to talk about how broke it is.

Sphalerite is spawning in Basalt also now.

Wooow you're so lucky :lol: I love the in game sphalerite but I find it rarely. I want sphalerite!

Jowever sometimes I just find copper and I don't know what to do with it. Only because maybe I don't have the forge or bloomery :(

This is what is happening to me in my current world...I am SWIMMING in copper tin and sphalerite nuggets...but I don't have clay, looked 500 blocks + in each direction, nothing....I guess I just gotta keep searching lol. The whole finding clay thing ahs never been a problem for me..I literally found MEGATONS of the stuff. When i have lots of clay, no ores. Now, with lots of ores, no clay..:(

update: currently in rocksalt second layer, 3rd chalk digging at 90 for about 3 hours and not one ore, nothing.

doing horizontal shafts at the 4 compass points.

Rock salt doesn't contain any kind of ore, does it? ._.

Yes it does, 2 different irons, beleive bismuth also

copper and silver can also spawn in it.

chalk is the same

unless it was changed i specifically remember finding magnetite and limonite mixed into rocksalt/chalk on a 50 something build.

digging at 90 for about 3 hours and not one ore, nothing.

If you want to go from underwhelmed to overwhelmed, dig at the infamous Y60. Here's a a compilation of screenshots I took at the entrance to mineshafts I dug 36 meters apart from one another:

Posted Image

On a 16000 chunk world I have saved only around 4% of all ores spawned near Y90.

it used to not be that way, its like 60 is the old 90

I also have two fairly large mines at 60 about 500 meters apart from one another and i cannot get sphal to stop showing up, it is mixed in with coal/limonite/gold/copper/magnetite

it's overwhelming all of the other ores.

I suggest you to just change the location of your mining operations by either moving the base or digging some 1-2k long tunnel in one direction. At y60 you're most likely to get all the ores that way in the matter of 1 week, save maybe annoying garnierite, which tends to troll you even if you do find it. Whatever the map I spawn, my own rule of 'steel anvil in 3 days' always applies, and without too much effort mind you. Of course there are some bugs that are continuously being reported and ignored (such as no-cap thirst and instant cooking), which I don't mind abusing because of that. To that extent - in the matter of 2 weeks you'll be able to make railway, I kid thee not.

I've easily dug several thousand blocks in various directions looking for hematite on two different worlds, around 80-100. Lots of olivine and copper, but no hematite.

I suggest you to just change the location of your mining operations by either moving the base or digging some 1-2k long tunnel in one direction. At y60 you're most likely to get all the ores that way in the matter of 1 week, save maybe annoying garnierite, which tends to troll you even if you do find it. Whatever the map I spawn, my own rule of 'steel anvil in 3 days' always applies, and without too much effort mind you. Of course there are some bugs that are continuously being reported and ignored (such as no-cap thirst and instant cooking), which I don't mind abusing because of that. To that extent - in the matter of 2 weeks you'll be able to make railway, I kid thee not.

You were right i had to move almost 1k meters off to get away from the damn marble.

Wouldnt it be nice if you could find a bottom layer gabbro in these newer builds christ.

You were right i had to move almost 1k meters off to get away from the damn marble.

Wouldnt it be nice if you could find a bottom layer gabbro in these newer builds christ.

You can, just go at y56. It's more annoying, cause you'll have to deal with water over your head more often, but you're unlikely to miss glimpses of bottom layer even in deep ocean. Alternatively you can dig down 4-5 blocks every 100-200 meters to check. In my first B66 world I got gabbro in some ocean and found damn nickel. Mined grand total of 6 pieces of ore in about 8 hours. Yeah. I really wish ores would have changing yields in less ridiculous kind of way. Or some things wouldn't be oversimplified as they are now. but oh, well...

I've easily dug several thousand blocks in various directions looking for hematite on two different worlds, around 80-100. Lots of olivine and copper, but no hematite.

I was talking about y60. On the server i dug tunnel about 15k, going straight in one direction. Got 4 Gold reads, 7-8 Limonite, 6 Magnetite, 5-6 Hematite, 5-6 Tetrahedrite, 4-5 Copper, 11-12 Galena, and who knows how many Coal and redstone... I don't even mention tier 0 ores. Didn't get Garnierite, Native Silver (not needed) and Malachite (wanted it for aesthetic purposes), Dug through every single type of rock along the way. Gold I mined in one of those reads was enough to make booster rails for the railway in this tunnel. And iron - do i really need to explain?

Finding Gabbro has never been a problem for me. I thought it was one of the most common rock layers.

Now chert, on the other hand-- is that actually still in the game?

Finding Gabbro has never been a problem for me. I thought it was one of the most common rock layers.

Now chert, on the other hand-- is that actually still in the game?

Yes it is. Strangely, i usually find it in desserts... o.o

So for my world I found pretty much am over run with all the t0 metals. I had dug out 4 mineshafts in differant rock types trying to find some iron ore. I finally moved over 1.5k blocks on the other side of an ocean to find some magnetite in some rock salt. My problem I keep diing from cave ins cause im digging at y60 but at y59 is the start to a cave system that spans pretty much the entire world I have explored so far. I went down to y60 in my other 4 older mines and the same thing...making it very hard to find metals or even dig a long way due to all the caves I keep falling into or running into. Anyone else finding a huge amount of massive caves?

So for my world I found pretty much am over run with all the t0 metals. I had dug out 4 mineshafts in differant rock types trying to find some iron ore. I finally moved over 1.5k blocks on the other side of an ocean to find some magnetite in some rock salt. My problem I keep diing from cave ins cause im digging at y60 but at y59 is the start to a cave system that spans pretty much the entire world I have explored so far. I went down to y60 in my other 4 older mines and the same thing...making it very hard to find metals or even dig a long way due to all the caves I keep falling into or running into. Anyone else finding a huge amount of massive caves?

I get these everywhere, but probably not as massive. I've built bridges for 100-200 meters at a time out of bricks while traversing them. I guess you just got really unlucky.

ive dug out 4km of horizontal tunnels. as well as my normal mining which is another significant chunk.

just cannot find gabbro deep layer, only gabbro is first layer of course which is completely useless.

You can, just go at y56. It's more annoying, cause you'll have to deal with water over your head more often, but you're unlikely to miss glimpses of bottom layer even in deep ocean. Alternatively you can dig down 4-5 blocks every 100-200 meters to check. In my first B66 world I got gabbro in some ocean and found damn nickel. Mined grand total of 6 pieces of ore in about 8 hours. Yeah. I really wish ores would have changing yields in less ridiculous kind of way. Or some things wouldn't be oversimplified as they are now. but oh, well...

I was talking about y60. On the server i dug tunnel about 15k, going straight in one direction. Got 4 Gold reads, 7-8 Limonite, 6 Magnetite, 5-6 Hematite, 5-6 Tetrahedrite, 4-5 Copper, 11-12 Galena, and who knows how many Coal and redstone... I don't even mention tier 0 ores. Didn't get Garnierite, Native Silver (not needed) and Malachite (wanted it for aesthetic purposes), Dug through every single type of rock along the way. Gold I mined in one of those reads was enough to make booster rails for the railway in this tunnel. And iron - do i really need to explain?

What's interesting about your last comment there is i am having the same exact problem.

Cannot find Garnierite, Native Silver and Malachite either.

What the hell is going on with this ore generation?

Anyone else having this same issue?

over 8km dug out at 60 depth, no garnerite, no native silver, no malachite.

Well a lot of the ores are restricted to rock layers, and Garnierite can only be found in gabbro.

Malachite is rediculously rare from what ive heard, but yes it exists.

Yes I know where Nickel has to be found, problem is we cannot find Gabbro below the surface.

I am talking build 72 and later also, some people still seem to be playing 60 something.

I found gabbro on the bottom layer on a b74 world. But now i cant find anything on lvl60. Since the dirt got lowered did the sweet spot get lower to ya think?