Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
LordOfWolves

Temperature bar

62 posts in this topic

I'd rather have blue or red creep in as an overlay of your vision to imitate cold/heat

So i guess what i said was impossible, then... Yeah, i should learn a bit more about this code stuff, instead of pulling solutions out of nowhere ._.

Can't seem to figure out how to quote on mobile...

@Just_Another_Guy:) Might not need base class edits. I have yet to look into the PlayerAPI code yet, but based on its name alone it suggests being able to handle changes to the player class without needing base class edits. Or I could be completely wrong ;) Any way, It should be possible. Either via your method or a derivitave of XCompWiz's Mystcraft portal generation method. What he does is "pulse" each adjacent block, looking for a connected path back to the source, similar to an electrical circuit. If this comes back true, he spawns portal blocks in the enclosed area. If the door is already a tile entity (I don't have my development computer handy atm, so can't check the source to be sure) then when placed, it can do the same thing, also checking for a roof. Then it sets the character to the appropriate heat level as long as it is within the enclosed area.

Basic volume checking as part of the creation could set the amount of "heat sources" needed, and each heat source can update the door each time it is lit and dies out....

I'd rather have blue or red creep in as an overlay of your vision to imitate cold/heat

Seriously, this idea is awesome .I add it to the OP. It's way better than a bar :)

I wish to make a minor suggestion addition to this. Instead of slowly losing health because you're too warm or too cold. I'd rather have it like you get slower, vision gets blurry or you might even pass out for x amounts of ingame hours. As to the health loss, I suggest that only happens if you don't drink for several days and food for several weeks. It's a lot of time but it's realistic, but then again... Biomes are tiny compared to the real world, so I guess this can be tweaked to be balanced.

Yeah, I already wrote this. If you look in the dangers that you may find. If you read it, you can see that I wrote "In extreme cases". This means that you can die when it's extremely cold or extremely hot. When it's not so cold or not so hot, the other effects happen, like going slower or dehydration.

I like this. No extra bars to check up on.

Continuing on this topic, temperature is already implemented, so what you want is for temperature to affect the player more? It seems that it does affect thirst level already, which is good. Blurred vision when too hot? I'm on board for that. The only thing I don't really like is adding in debuffs. If you have ever died in TFC and had to make your way back somewhere through a night filled with skeletons with the Slowness debuff, it is major ANNOYING. I know, TFC = hardcore, but you can be hardcore without these debilitating debuffs. Have temperature affect things like health, hunger, and thirst in the BG, and it will be a convincing obstacle for players. Don't make it an annoying one.

If you have ever died in TFC and had to make your way back somewhere through a night filled with skeletons with the Slowness debuff, it is major ANNOYING.

Then don't go in cold biomes. This only happens if you want this to happen. Night full of skeletons? Cold? Use warm clothes and make a firepit in a quick shelter. Also, remember that skeletons are going to be moved underground.

And if you are underground and it's full of skeletons and it's cold...why did you go there without the right equipment?

Then don't go in cold biomes. This only happens if you want this to happen. Night full of skeletons? Cold? Use warm clothes and make a firepit in a quick shelter. Also, remember that skeletons are going to be moved underground.

And if you are underground and it's full of skeletons and it's cold...why did you go there without the right equipment?

You don't get what I'm saying. If you've ever experienced debuffs, they are annoying. I think you can handle temperatures affecting the player in a better, less annoying way by having them affect thirst/hunger levels. I think it's better for players to see their thirst and hunger levels drop (realize they have to move out of the area, or be better prepared next time) rather than hamstring them for certain death.

You don't get what I'm saying. If you've ever experienced debuffs, they are annoying. I think you can handle temperatures affecting the player in a better, less annoying way by having them affect thirst/hunger levels. I think it's better for players to see their thirst and hunger levels drop (realize they have to move out of the area, or be better prepared next time) rather than hamstring them for certain death.

But, at least in extreme cases, when the cold is too cold, there should be a slowing debuff. It adds believability. Only in extreme cases, not when you enter in the cold biome. This debuff happens to all those players that are unprepared but still continue walking in the cold biome. If a person enters the cold biome and it see the cold overlay, it goes out of that biome, but a stubborn won't go out. Then this debuff is made for him. And if you're locked in a cold biome and you aren't stubborn? Well, again, the debuff will happen for 2 reasons:
  • You are locked there, then, even if you go faster you can't escape.
  • It adds believability.
And if you really hate this debuff, then feel free to suggest something that can replace it, because I think that losing life and dehydrating isn't so much. We need something that can entertain the player, because 2 bars dropping are a too classic thing. After some time you get bored. Got what I mean?

Young strong man (Steve can punch through wooden planks, dammit) will not lose that much temperature in cold when moving around, even simple walk helps a great deal. Trust me, I'm Russian, I know these things.

So, basically, there should be mechanic where cold debuffs happen slower if you're moving. Helps with annoyance when trying to get back lost items.

This might also give more use for leather/leather armor.

Wearing leather armor 'insulates' your heat level-causing it to change more slowly.

This might also give more use for leather/leather armor.

Wearing leather armor 'insulates' your heat level-causing it to change more slowly.

Yeah, I didn't think about this. Thanks :)

We need something that can entertain the player, because 2 bars dropping are a too classic thing. After some time you get bored. Got what I mean?

I understand that you want to add something more besides the typical loss of thirst/hunger. I guess I'm overreacting, thinking that if I just wander into a cold area I will start to feel the debuffs.

Young strong man (Steve can punch through wooden planks, dammit) will not lose that much temperature in cold when moving around, even simple walk helps a great deal. Trust me, I'm Russian, I know these things.

So, basically, there should be mechanic where cold debuffs happen slower if you're moving. Helps with annoyance when tryung to get back lost items.

I like this. Maybe I was too quick to dismiss the debuffs. It would be neat (and believable) if you started to gain debuffs if you stopped moving in a cold climate/sprint too much in a hot climate. Normal activity will not cause debuffs to occur. Although I do think that you have to stay with the idea that hotter climates make thirst drain faster and colder climates make hunger drain faster (need more fuel to keep your body warm).

before you bag on metal armors, steel plate was lined with leather to insulate. keep that in mind

Can't seem to figure out how to quote on mobile...

@Just_Another_Guy:) Might not need base class edits. I have yet to look into the PlayerAPI code yet, but based on its name alone it suggests being able to handle changes to the player class without needing base class edits. Or I could be completely wrong ;) Any way, It should be possible. Either via your method or a derivitave of XCompWiz's Mystcraft portal generation method. What he does is "pulse" each adjacent block, looking for a connected path back to the source, similar to an electrical circuit. If this comes back true, he spawns portal blocks in the enclosed area. If the door is already a tile entity (I don't have my development computer handy atm, so can't check the source to be sure) then when placed, it can do the same thing, also checking for a roof. Then it sets the character to the appropriate heat level as long as it is within the enclosed area.

Basic volume checking as part of the creation could set the amount of "heat sources" needed, and each heat source can update the door each time it is lit and dies out....

PlayerAPI only allows for edits with the hooks it provides. If the creator of PlayerAPI didn't think of it before us, we can't do it.

Unless you guys decide to drop this compatibility thing i never found much sense to and edit base classes again... But yeah, i know that's not gonna happen any time soon -_- sorry for the on-topic-but-still-somehow-derailed idea...

Unless you guys decide to drop this compatibility thing i never found much sense to and edit base classes again... But yeah, i know that's not gonna happen any time soon -_- sorry for the on-topic-but-still-somehow-derailed idea...

well honestly, i really don't see any reason to keep compatability with other things because seince this mod changes everything in the entire game, you wouldnt really be able to do anything from any other mod. the only thing i see a need to keep compatability with is optifine, becuse i personally can't play minsraft without it

Finding out wether you are in an eclosed room or at the woods can be tricky, if you want to keep your game smooth. ATENTION: GEEK TERMINOLLOGY FOLLOWING:

Checking for volume costs O(n^3), being n the width of the checked volume, wich is a lot if we wat to check a big room. Alamurla suggested an algorithm that looks for enclosed loops, wich is great for linear loops, but not 3d structures. I propose the following, greedy algorithm, based on a simplified physical model:

position = stevesHead

for h from 0 to 5:

move position up one block

from position, make a "raycast" to north, south west and east, looking for solid blocks.

for each time no solid blocks were found in a 5 blocks radius, move position to a random adjasent block

if the block above us is solid, then return.

#end of for loop

if no solid blocks were found above us, lower steves temperature.

increase steves temperature taking into account artificial light level

This algorithm checks for wind protection, but also takes into account the "roof" that prevents heat from escaping, as hot air goes up. It is also programatically cheap, and allows some awesome side effects: as in real life, architecture can be used to regulate tempreratures (tall roofs keep your house fresh, while short roofs keep it warm), and one could find some shelter below a tree, wich will mitigate but not prevent heat lose. It will also add some ramdomness :)/>

This would also be a very good reason to implement fur/wool coats!

This would also be a very good reason to implement fur/wool coats!

YESSSS!

excuse me for a bit, while i go kill some wolfies for their delicious fur

YESSSS!

excuse me for a bit, while i go kill some wolfies for their delicious fur

You said what? I eat noodles here in Italy, and a lot of them...and mmmmmmh they're so tasty :P

Twice a week, no, three times a day.

You said what? I eat noodles here in Italy, and a lot of them...and mmmmmmh they're so tasty :P

Twice a week, no, three times a day.

Are they Sugar-coated noodles, or noodles made of sugar? And Mastopiero, that isn't THAT geeky.

Are they Sugar-coated noodles, or noodles made of sugar? And Mastopiero, that isn't THAT geeky.

-News report later that day-

Kimbblesrath was found dead in his room, with several dozen knives stuck in his back

edit: i don't even remember who came up with this nickname, or what i did to deserve it

-News report later that day-

Kimbblesrath was found dead in his room, with several dozen knives stuck in his back

edit: i don't even remember who came up with this nickname, or what i did to deserve it

Umm, Uhm.. *hands up* Let's keep the sanity :P

I am pretty sure it was Puxapuak who came up with it, and he gave it to you because of an accidental misreading of Srgnoodles as Sgrnoodles. Sgr could mean sugar, so....

What is it with me and images on this forum bugging out on me? What did I ever do to them?

What is it with me and images on this forum bugging out on me? What did I ever do to them?

They hate you.

Nah, i can't see it either :P it's killster, he's always posting invisible images... >__>