Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DocStineTM

are Performance updates in the future?

36 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if any performance updates are in the future due to tfc currently being a power hog when it comes to both CPU and GPU, this is not anything debatable on our end but im just wondering for hope that low end computers will be able to run Mine-craft with TFC better. and also allow servers to burn less upload speeds when running large servers(im going to be honest i dont even think thats possible but hell, im going to ask anyway)

THANK YOU!!

DocStine

"(V.O.G)"

I was just wondering if any performance updates are in the future due to tfc currently being a power hog when it comes to both CPU and GPU, this is not anything debatable on our end but im just wondering for hope that low end computers will be able to run Mine-craft with TFC better. and also allow servers to burn less upload speeds when running large servers(im going to be honest i dont even think thats possible but hell, im going to ask anyway)

THANK YOU!!

DocStine

"(V.O.G)"

I'm unsure at all. Though, I guess that they're might be optimization updates in the future.

This is more a thing of Mojang, i think they are planning to make an improvement on perfomance, whenever they stop adding bullshit like fireworks,cmon! Fireworks!!? we need an improvement on performance and they give us fireworks!

This is more a thing of Mojang, i think they are planning to make an improvement on perfomance, whenever they stop adding bullshit like fireworks,cmon! Fireworks!!? we need an improvement on performance and they give us fireworks!

From what I have heard, Mojang is running low on ideas for MineCraft. Now firework... it might has it's worth in SMP...

In fact i think it's a something both Mojang and our devs could help with... i mean, sure, MC was coded horribly wrong and they should take responsability and f+cking fix it, but Dunk and Bioxx haven't exactly helped... I can run vanilla at decent graphic settings and stable FPS with Optifine, but TFC is really slow for me even with Optifine...

I'm constantly trying to find ways to optimize the heavy code but honestly the biggest performance killer is the world size increase form 128 to 256. It is just a ton more memory to have to deal with.

I wish i could know how to code, so i can understand why people say that Notch is a genius by making minecraft (not the idea, but the code) and at the same time they say that Minecraft is horribly coded. Anyone knows a good place to learn how to code? Bioxx were did you learned?

This might be the best place to start learning Java, (the language Minecraft was coded in).

I wish i could know how to code, so i can understand why people say that Notch is a genius by making minecraft (not the idea, but the code) and at the same time they say that Minecraft is horribly coded. Anyone knows a good place to learn how to code? Bioxx were did you learned?

He's genious not because of the way Minecraft coded, but because of the way Minecraft was built and balanced. After all, it's Minecraft that started building games' craze, though minecraft is nowhere near the first building game.

I find this to be an easy way of learning basic java (i have enjoyed this java environment quite a bit :D).

http://www.bluej.org/

i find it very welcoming and easy to understand :P

one of the only things fixing the problems with would be the loading of chunks being made easier, (via CC or anything else) most servers crash once multiple people start boating due to the immensive amount of chunk loading happening instantly

I'm not coder nor know anything about java, but, can't it be possible to reduce world size ?

To "just" generate 20.000 block by 20.000 block world ?

it could help ?

Don't think so, considering those far chunks aren't even in the save file until you render them for the first time.

Minecraft loads chunks in a predetermined area around the player, everything that isn't near a player isn't even rendered, so that doesn't matter. The problem comes from loading chunks in as people move fast, coupled with memory issues due to the block world having so much data in it.

Boixx or dunk, is there a way i could have a talk with just you two? i have experience with world generation with Buildcraft and a couple of other community made mods that i think will boost ssp(maybe even smp) FPS, i had a message typed out here already that was two pages long with very very detailed code that would help but my computer shutdown again randomly and i lost the post(this made me very very very very angry) i know nobody really knows me but i would like to make a name for myself here by helping with sorting out a lot of world generation issues and performance issues as well, im not asking much just a chance. please PM me if you could with how we could talk better and faster without a lot of issues. thank you

DocStine, you should join the IRC on the main page, bioxx usually lurks there ;P

Yeh. They should have started optimizing their code since like before they added pointless crap like Dragons and Potions, but It seems they are more concentrated on getting more and more recycled and silly and Unfinished, (I mean look at those Villagers, they've been in MC since what? Beta 1.8 and they only "trade" and multiply and spawn an Iron Golem and still have the AI of a cow) stuff to their game so that they can whore it out to the 10 year olds that comprise 80% of today's Minecraft population.

Maybe that's why notch stepped down from leading the project and handed it over to Jeb. Maybe notch wanted to work further on the code but Mojang was more interested in racking up the millions of sales from all those kiddies that began rampaging into Minecraft as soon as they heard the words Dragons and Enchantments. Or maybe it was completely the other way around.

I'm constantly trying to find ways to optimize the heavy code but honestly the biggest performance killer is the world size increase form 128 to 256. It is just a ton more memory to have to deal with.

Isn't there a method of memory compression? I do think I recall that somewhere, but I'm unsure.

memory compression is effective on storage of stuff only, and it allows for corruption and slows down the system because it needs to get decompressed to get used, its just a lesser of 2 evils, which in minecraft would have no effect

Bioxx learned java by modding. I learned it in high school. It can be difficult to learn on its own. I find the best way to learn any language is to learn the absolute basics, like what arrays are, how loops can be useful and such. Once you have that, you can just read the java documentation to figure out how to code it.

Bioxx learned java by modding. I learned it in high school. It can be difficult to learn on its own. I find the best way to learn any language is to learn the absolute basics, like what arrays are, how loops can be useful and such. Once you have that, you can just read the java documentation to figure out how to code it.

Then once you understand how to program in Java, you read Effective Java to learn how to program in Java correctly.

If you're already familiar with languages such as C++, Java is pretty easy to learn. If you're not too familiar with programming, it's still probably one of the better languages to learn on. It's a fairly simple language, although it does have its quirks.

Yeh. They should have started optimizing their code since like before they added pointless crap like Dragons and Potions, but It seems they are more concentrated on getting more and more recycled and silly and Unfinished, (I mean look at those Villagers, they've been in MC since what? Beta 1.8 and they only "trade" and multiply and spawn an Iron Golem and still have the AI of a cow) stuff to their game so that they can whore it out to the 10 year olds that comprise 80% of today's Minecraft population.

Maybe that's why notch stepped down from leading the project and handed it over to Jeb. Maybe notch wanted to work further on the code but Mojang was more interested in racking up the millions of sales from all those kiddies that began rampaging into Minecraft as soon as they heard the words Dragons and Enchantments. Or maybe it was completely the other way around.

You should get your facts straight before making accusations about people. Architectural improvements (meant to increase performance and stability) have been part of the past few releases. If anything it is under Jeb's leadership that performance has been a focus. Yes, new features are being added, but underlying improvements are also being made.

If anything, Mojang should be criticized for having such a small team working on Minecraft - I think it's still only four people. Given the revenues Minecraft brings in, they could certainly afford to hire more staff.

i know nothing about java, i have tried to make some code for minecraft, made just a block and a recipe.but then i had lots and lots of trouble compiling my code.

The thing that interest me the most is terrain generation, i would really like coding such thing like true mountains and better environments like "Realistic forests" XD

Edit: anyone remembers a WIP mod that changed the terrain generation to have realistic terrain with better looking mountains and continents.Someone posted something about it in here.

would it be possible to do a test with going back down to the regular heights and run a test not an actual build just to see if cutting a few(40 or 50) layers of rock out would improve anything??? just a thought.

-snip- "Realistic forests" XD

Isn't that a biome from some mod...? i think i saw that name somewhere else... o.o

i know nothing about java, i have tried to make some code for minecraft, made just a block and a recipe.but then i had lots and lots of trouble compiling my code.

The thing that interest me the most is terrain generation, i would really like coding such thing like true mountains and better environments like "Realistic forests" XD

Do you have experience with other programming languages, or are you new to programming in general? Were you able to get a "Hello world!" Java example running?

Once the official API is around there will probably be some good introductory material written (or at least I hope so).