Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Exanadu

Idea for new the awesome new chisel setting you added!

74 posts in this topic

I LOVE! the new setting that breaks down blocks into 512. So much that I find myself using it all the time. This however ends up being tedious and time consuming above and beyond what it needs to be. I propose an idea to be able to draw a blueprint of a block you custom chiseled by right clicking your block with the blueprint so that you can replicate your block faster. You would need to have your blueprint on your hotbar just as your hammer is required to chisel then it will read from the blueprint in "Blueprint Mode" and auto shape it to that blueprint. you can rename your blueprints and store them in your master mason library :)

Err... Wouldn't that be equally or even more tedious? I mean, instead of just doing your task, you make a new item, replicate the block in which you will work, do the task in that item and THEN finally apply it... Plus, with so many blueprints possible, it could quite easily create a huge storage problem, in the same style the "tree-type-sticks" thing we had before...

PLUS, even though this is more of a personal opinion: it's too easy, while still tedious... ._. aren't we playing TFC 'cause vanilla MC was excesively easy?

not at all. it would save quite a bit of time. god forbid a creeper comes by and blows up a corner of your hard chisel work or that you need to build 100 custom columns. you cant sit there and chisel at each block 1 at a time all the time lol , do you want to chisel 100 columns? 5 tall thats 500 blocks you need to chisel 1 at a time :P you tell me whats more tedious. or just putting a block down with and clicking it 1 time with a blueprint

Great Suggestion, it would be nice to have something like this.

But, in the future it's probably not a great idea to like your own post... It looks bad and doesn't do anything to get this seen more widely; essentially, this isn't reddit, a like means someone likes something, it doesn't determine if it is seen or not.

And finally, since you haven't been officially welcomed yet...

WELCOME TO THE TFC FORUMS!!!

EDIT: Bioxx just said something like this is already in consideration in IRC, so that's good. :)

for those that need a quote:

[21:53] <Exanadu> i posted this on the forum under suggestions. if you like it pls comment and like it. i really want bioxx to consider it http://terrafirmacra...ting-you-added/

[21:53] == Crysyn [[email protected]] has quit [Client Quit]

[21:54] <Bioxx> something similar is already under consideration

this means the topic can be locked as it is already 'confirmed'

however, for those seeing this post, please understand dev's, particularly bioxx, change their minds often. just cause its confirmed now does not mean it will be 3 months down the road.

I prefer a new chissel mode, copy mode, just right click and it copies the setting, then put it on paste setting and you get the block out. To make it more balanced perhaps make it take more time, measure the amount of bits that it took out and make it calculate how much time will it take you to chissel that block.

A full block with its top face lowered by one will be almost instant, while a suspended bit on the middle of the block will take you like 10-8 sec(open to discussion)

the problem with that yuby is that you would have to go find the block you want to copy which might be 500 blocks away just to bring it to the other location. where if you have blueprints you can take them with you. but i see your point about the bit calc to use up the chisel per bit

Err... Wouldn't that be equally or even more tedious? I mean, instead of just doing your task, you make a new item, replicate the block in which you will work, do the task in that item and THEN finally apply it... Plus, with so many blueprints possible, it could quite easily create a huge storage problem, in the same style the "tree-type-sticks" thing we had before...

PLUS, even though this is more of a personal opinion: it's too easy, while still tedious... ._. aren't we playing TFC 'cause vanilla MC was excesively easy?

Just to clear some things up - no, it would not be more tedious, as you only need to make the blueprint once, then you can reproduce it to turn a single chair into four. Or a single column into ten. And that only applies to people who want to duplicate things. Everybody else can chip away at their art at the same pace.

Also no, it does not create a storage problem for the average minecrafter. If someone wants to make a dozen different blueprints, they are free to store them singly in a chest - just like handwritten books, or custom maps, or TFC plans do as well. You only need one per design, and they don't drop from the sky or grow on trees, to fill up the unfortunate newb's inventory like sticks did.

Finally, no, TFC is supposed to represent a challenge while being realistic. It's not supposed to be hard for the sake of being hard, otherwise we'd never have been given the chisel in the first place. If it's just about timesaving, Exanadu's idea makes sense, and saves a lot of painful tedium that is not necessary.

the problem with that yuby is that you would have to go find the block you want to copy which might be 500 blocks away just to bring it to the other location. where if you have blueprints you can take them with you. but i see your point about the bit calc to use up the chisel per bit

I'd rather walk that 1000 squares with a primed chisel if it meant making the implementation 5x easier for Bioxx, which a copy-paste chisel function probably would. :)

aye I would settle for any method possible lol, though i doubt copy/paste would be any harder to create than with a save to blueprint version of it. I'm for anything at this point. Regardless of what bioxx does i will continue to chisel away at the 512 bits because its just so lovely, I only wish for a time saving option no matter what he comes up with :) I want to create massive works of art but not at the cost of my life and soul being sucked away for 365 RL days lmao. I am glad he is considering some form of implementation though.

Think of it this way. You will spend hours upon hours just creating awesome designs using this new chisel mode. Being able to save them to blueprint maybe leads to being able to keep your hours of hard work and copy your blueprints to another world you want to start. Then with that It leads to people creating designs and trading them on the forums :) A whole new way to share is born and creativity will explode.

This is a great suggestion that could make chiseling a much more viable profession...

Selling blueprints on a server? Epic win.

Please don't double post Exanadu. Every time someone double posts I melt into a pitiful puddle of human goop, it's not a pretty sight.

Actually they was 25 min apart and a completely different thought unrelated to the previous post. But please keep to the topic if you can. I stayed up all night messing around with different ideas to build with the new chisel setting and it was so much fun to make such detailed things. I've always loved the chisel before this but now its godly lol.

Thats very true though. Expanding on the blueprints idea, selling or trading the blueprints to your epic chair/table/bedframe/column/whatthefuckever design could add just another dynamic to a TFC economy. +1

I'm riding the fence of staying on topic.. but adding in a scribe-like profession that can create maps, art, notes, books, BLUEPRINTS (which has been suggesting other threads) which could then be bought by the sculptor to copy designs to turn around and sell...

I'm riding the fence of staying on topic.. but adding in a scribe-like profession that can create maps, art, notes, books, BLUEPRINTS (which has been suggesting other threads) which could then be bought by the sculptor to copy designs to turn around and sell...

I like this but how would this work? I'm pretty sure it would end up being just a single person selling directly to consumers. Why would you need a middle man?

Edit: By middle man I mean sculpturer and not a retail salesman.

no, we don't like the idea of having "recipes" for chiseled blocks. The chiseled blocks in your town/house should represent a feat, an accomplishment and we think making it so easy takes away from that ability. We recognize all of the possibilities this feature holds, but that means it needs to be equally balanced with difficulty so as not to disrupt gameplay. ie, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

no, we don't like the idea of having "recipes" for chiseled blocks. The chiseled blocks in your town/house should represent a feat, an accomplishment and we think making it so easy takes away from that ability. We recognize all of the possibilities this feature holds, but that means it needs to be equally balanced with difficulty so as not to disrupt gameplay. ie, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

What about the propose copy/paste function? It still represents a feat/accomplishment, but it helps with larger builds where you use a similar block.

What about the propose copy/paste function? It still represents a feat/accomplishment, but it helps with larger builds where you use a similar block.

nope. Do it by hand or stick with your metre cubes.

nobody is asking for a free lunch. the idea of building something massive with 512 micro blocks is just nearly impossible. Combine that with the fact that something is bound to screw up your map in a future update and you don't really feel like spending real life months doing something that could have created in weeks instead. It's still your work and you created each micro design. just seems pointless to replicate the same design. especially when you only need 1 tiny 512 bit meaning you need to chisel 511 bits away to get to that 1 bit. you need to look at it from a realistic time approach which measures time vs fun.

It might be possible to take a leaf out the metal working book, using big hits, little hits, stone saws, etc in place of the forging tools with the target area getting narrower for more complex blueprints. A limited number of blueprints and restriction of some designs to higher tier metals would add believability, as would incorporating the hardness of the stone. Getting it wrong by taking more than a specified number of hits would lose the block. A similar mechanic would be tranferable to woodworking, maybe to make siding and shingles.

The style of object would be simple, column sections and window mullions perhaps, obviously everyone would have an idea what would be suitable, the present scribing table would be ideal. And maybe plans should have a life? This would force people to keep using the scribing table. In the real world the mason would have used templates that would have worn out.

For more personnel or original work carry on as it is and to really add to commerce, make the blocks able to be picked up, so that some one could carve a statue and sell it on.

Sorry posts a bit rambly.

I respect this.

nobody is asking for a free lunch. the idea of building something massive with 512 micro blocks is just nearly impossible. Combine that with the fact that something is bound to screw up your map in a future update and you don't really feel like spending real life months doing something that could have created in weeks instead. It's still your work and you created each micro design. just seems pointless to replicate the same design. especially when you only need 1 tiny 512 bit meaning you need to chisel 511 bits away to get to that 1 bit. you need to look at it from a realistic time approach which measures time vs fun.

It is all for balance reasons, with any type of copy paste function those amazing structures people make are no longer quite as special. The detailing is an extra feature not a necessary one and therefore it certainly shouldn't be easy. As for servers/creative you should ask someone who deals with this sort of thing, maybe someone like Voxel? I don't know.

yes but you end up in situations where you have to reach impossible angles and cannot chisel certain areas of a block do to other chiseled blocks in the way and you cant just delete them and re chisel them. You also sometimes will chisel another block right behind the one you was trying to chisel. Because you can't see the hitbox. It's not about whether a player can or cannot achieve a certain look. They still have to take the time to chisel out the blocks in the first place before creating a blueprint of it. So its still their own time and commitment to detailing. Giving the player more time to come up with other chiseled designs and actually have more fun. Instead of wasting time chopping away the same design over and over and over and over. For me I haven't had any problems using the chisel before using slabs and stairs to create my stuff. I was more than happy to click a block 7-8 times to create the shape i wanted. But now its up to 511 times per block sometimes and I gotta tell ya its wearing on me. I am a builder and I've been playing and modding minecraft for 2 years now. If its wearing on me it has to be wearing on the average player.