Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kandid Kandace

Slopes and Gates

12 posts in this topic

So basically, by crafting two diagnal logs you get a slope. It would look like a stair, but have more steps. Water slides down the slope quickly, as well as items. In addition, you can make small, medium, and large gates, that work with items. Only small items can fit through small gates, small and medium items can fit through medium gates, and so on. There could possibly also be a way to make a gate that goes on a chest that when opened lets items slip out/slide in.

The purpose of this is a way to move items around, similar to how you can move items around with water in vanilla. It's a very simple mechanic that makes way for a lot of creations that where previously not possible. I know that Buildcraft has pipes, which work much better than this, however I don't think something like that would fit into the mod in any way, while this is believable and makes sense within the context of the game world. I searched the forum and I didn't find anything like this, but if something similar has been posted then awhoopdaopp shoot me in the headddd.

It can lead to automation in the early game, which i don't think is what we want to have... and instead of gates you could call 'em filters as that's basically what they are.

How 'bout this: For the slopes you need a saw, and the gates require metal (one ingot, a double ingot or both, depending on the size) to make 'em. Fairly simple changes that takes this away form early game, and makes this automation something you need to work hard for.

Now that i think 'bout it... what's the point of slopes again? water in MC will happily flow down from anywhere no matter the angle and elevation, so i don't get why we need 'em for this.

Water is finicky and hard to control, and slow, and you can't move items in and out of chests. Slopes are simple, fast, and you can move items in and out of chests.

To make use of these items you have to be pretty far into the game, It would require a lot of work and planning to make use of it. And even if it was easy, I don't see why that's such a problem.

And I like the name gate, I don't think filter fits here.

i saw slopes and imediately thought "BLASPHEMY!!!" but then i read the post, seems like a good idea

maybe rename them so poeple don't think they are going to be actual diagonal sloped blocks

-You can control water quite easily by just forcing it into one direction, and this can be done by just blocking the others (aka, aqueducts). Slopes don't help that much there either, if allowed the water could quite easily flow around the slope and not through it.

-And how exactly do slopes move items into chests, then? they magically teleport them inside a near-by chest? or they let the items fall into the chest? water would also allow the items to get into the chest, then. Anyways, chest isn't the right term, barrel would be; if you use a chest, you will have to leave it open, which kind of defeats it's purpose...

-Can i take that as an agreement, then...?

-Filter does fit pretty well, actually : but meh, it's a minor detail.

read the topic, two things came to mind: oh god, that deleted thread is back' and 'wasn't bioxx talking about...?'

read the content, now thinking 'wait, so something that will take up all my time after end game? like Vredstone? +183173t7815356187354712647918762374715381'

Im all for pointless end game stuff that fills your time trying to understand because of awesomeness. :D

-You can control water quite easily by just forcing it into one direction, and this can be done by just blocking the others (aka, aqueducts). Slopes don't help that much there either, if allowed the water could quite easily flow around the slope and not through it.

-And how exactly do slopes move items into chests, then? they magically teleport them inside a near-by chest? or they let the items fall into the chest? water would also allow the items to get into the chest, then. Anyways, chest isn't the right term, barrel would be; if you use a chest, you will have to leave it open, which kind of defeats it's purpose...

-Can i take that as an agreement, then...?

-Filter does fit pretty well, actually : but meh, it's a minor detail.

No, items do not slide into chests automatically, that's what gates are for. Gates can be placed anywhere on the slope, but when placed on a chests they let items in. You can imagine that you saw it open first or something, but whatever.

... Then i don't get what you meant by "gate" ._. like, at all.

And also, this kind of things could go into the OP, you know... The more detail, the better.

Maybe gate, like, a hole in the chest? That and you forget the notion that gate can let big objects to pass and don't let smaller ones to.

Screw pumps would be nice so I can make working aqueducts.

How about just a normal filter as previously suggested rather than filling our chests with water?

... Then i don't get what you meant by "gate" ._. like, at all.

And also, this kind of things could go into the OP, you know... The more detail, the better.

It's a gate because you can open and close it. The "Filter" system just uses the item size mechanic.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0