Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DaveOfMinecraft

Thoughts about Fishing

10 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have been playing TerraFirmaCraft for about 2 months now and one thing that keeps bugging me, fishing. Ever since I started playing minecraft I thought fishing just sucked, I mean seriously all you do is throw your line in water and a fish flies out of the water. Since TFC has been changing most of the gameplay mechanics I just thought that Bioxx should change how fishing works like maybe add some fish that swim around like maniacs or make fishing more challenging.

Share your Ideas below!

This is actually very intresting. I must admit that I had completly forgot about fishing in minecraft.

One thing that could actually be implemented are fishing nets! They'd work pretty much the same as sluices! And make fishes a slow renewable ressource, Growth rate like crops or similar and when fully depleted just too bad find another fishing spot!

But the thing is I think the mod is in a "work bugs fix stuff balance gameplay" state more than "adding stuff" state. Working the way fishing works is I think a prety big task and would prolly be considered in a long time from now when the mod reaches a more stable state.

Dunk has stated in some post that after the Beta 3 Kingdoms, Beta 4 will MOST LIKELY (not certainly :P) be about oceans and water and such. I would assume fishing would be included in this.

BUT REMEMBER! This is only speculation; it is not confirmed unless Dunk talks to Bioxx about it, and unanimously confirm it. :D

This is a really interesting topic for me, because I detest minecraft fishing.

Trapping, or hand fishing immediately come to mind as a non-game breaking ways of getting food. Both return relatively low yields of food or require larger time investment to return higher yields of food.

Hand fishing could be implemented a lot like gathering crops, but underwater-- where you would find a kelp bed or simply dig for clams/shelfish.

Trapping would be more along the lines of how sluices work, where placement and geography would determine what kind of yield or sea creature you would get. There are tons of different styles of 'traps'... some are woven baskets, others like lobster cages so there is plenty of viable crafting recipes that could make use of string, sticks, and planks.

Netting is a more active form of fishing as opposed to the 'set and forget' method I envision with trapping. Most nets require them to be trawled behind a boat or operated by hand (much like casting). Still, if the key to yield was based on location and choosing the right method to catch fish it could make for interesting game play.

Overall however, accumulating food doesn't seem to be a big challenge. Currently there really are no steps required to preserve meat. We joke around in our LP about eating steak after it has started to rot but the reality is that it stays fresh forever!

Dunk has stated in some post that after the Beta 3 Kingdoms, Beta 4 will MOST LIKELY (not certainly :P) be about oceans and water and such. I would assume fishing would be included in this.

BUT REMEMBER! This is only speculation; it is not confirmed unless Dunk talks to Bioxx about it, and unanimously confirm it. :D

I thought

Oceans: These are enormous, I’m very aware. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of control over this for me. The world begins as a blank slate of Ocean and then the terrain generator goes to work adding plains, hills, etc. I’ve tried changing it to be a plank slate of plains, but that ended up causing some weird issues.

unless by that you mean what's in the oceans, rivers, lakes, etc.; not their size or shape.

I thought

unless by that you mean what's in the oceans, rivers, lakes, etc.; not their size or shape.

Umm.. no lol. Dunk was talking about a lot of oceans changes, like fish, sharks, aquatic life, coral, salt water, boats (maybe) and things like that.

salt water

That's an interesting notion. Not being able to drink unrefined sea water would really change the way one chooses how to set up camp.

That's an interesting notion. Not being able to drink unrefined sea water would really change the way one chooses how to set up camp.

There is an ongoing thread about that topic infact. Search it up, it is still being discussed.

hold the phone. All I said is that fishing is coming. I made no such mentions of beta 4 or a huge ocean update, but fishing is *probably* coming before beta 4 (if there is one)

hold the phone. All I said is that fishing is coming. I made no such mentions of beta 4 or a huge ocean update, but fishing is *probably* coming before beta 4 (if there is one)

guess my mind was playing tricks on me... :rolleyes: