Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Shadeslate

Ores are too hard to find starting off.

42 posts in this topic

They don't spawn everywhere like they should, in survival mode with mobs, having to relocate over and over to find a spot that has ores is extremely dangerous and bothersome.

I think if I have a sluice and I have gravel, I should be able to find ores without having to dump 200 gravel in it.

They don't spawn everywhere like they should, in survival mode with mobs, having to relocate over and over to find a spot that has ores is extremely dangerous and bothersome.

I think if I have a sluice and I have gravel, I should be able to find ores without having to dump 200 gravel in it.

That's the goal of TerraFirmaCraft; to be believable and difficult. You can surface ores from the rocks you pick up, but ONLY if the ore is near the surface. Have you not known the goal of this total-conversion modification? The purpose is not to make everything simple and easy, but intricate and hard.

Also...

WELCOME TO THE TERRAFIRMACRAFT FORUMS, SHADESLATE!

P.S. - I procured amends to my post, after realizing I forgotten some details after reading FatPoulet's post.

Another thing to mention is that all current hostile mobs are going to be moved underground in to the caves so they won't be a problem in the future.

Remember this is in beta.

Do I need to incessantly beat every new comer with a rubber hose until they understand that its supposed to be that way? I mean seriously, its become my goal almost.

Another thing to mention is that all current hostile mobs are going to be moved underground in to the caves so they won't be a problem in the future.

Remember this is in beta.

Really? Wow that's great.

That's the goal of TerraFirmaCraft; to be believable and difficult. You can surface ores from the rocks you pick up, but ONLY if the ore is near the surface. Have you not known the goal of this total-conversion modification? The purpose is not to make everything simple and easy, but intricate and hard. Should you continue to whine about how difficult this great modification is, then so be it. But a word of warning; you will be bashed and harmed upon with great severity.

Also...

WELCOME TO THE TERRAFIRMACRAFT FORUMS, SHADESLATE!

I'm not whining, jackass. I understand that it is supposed to be "difficult"

having to relocate over and over to find a spot that has ores is extremely dangerous and bothersome.

This is one of the best features of TFC. It's an improvement over vanilla MC where you can plop down your home anywhere you like with certainty that all the resources you need are underneath you leaving no real challenge or incentive to explore.

This is one of the best features of TFC. It's an improvement over vanilla MC where you can plop down your home anywhere you like with certainty that all the resources you need are underneath you leaving no real challenge or incentive to explore.

I'm only refering to the very beginning of the game.

Wow, calm down there. Try not to insult other users, so you don't start a flame war just from Sda's mistake.

You like it or not, this is the way the mod was made to be. What you are suggesting shouldn't be there is a completely intentional feature. You will have to deal with it, 'cause it's likely NOT to change. Ever.

Wow, calm down there. Try not to insult other users, so you don't start a flame war just from Sda's mistake.

You like it or not, this is the way the mod was made to be. What you are suggesting shouldn't be there is a completely intentional feature. You will have to deal with it, 'cause it's likely NOT to change. Ever.

dangit, i was about to say the same thing, except in less of a friendly tone and more of a "im going to cut you in half" tone

They don't spawn everywhere like they should

I fucking lawled.

You obviously have no idea what mod you're playing. Go home.

Why is there so many unfortunate people playing this mod, now that i think about it? i usually spawn, apparently, right over a vein of some starting metal, to the point where sometimes i'm begging to find a normal rock to actually make tools.

Posted Image

-_-

(Guys, don't start a meme war off this, kay? Thanks.)

Posted Image

This was my reaction as well, but I was feeling hipster and didn't want to post Picard.

I feel very lucky. The first world I made I have about 7-8 ingots just from surface nuggets, and the one I am playing now has tonnes of clay, a willow forest that regens very fast, and all the metal I could ever want. Except there is too much zinc. I go mining for other things and I find zinc. I have found about 4 huge veins of zinc in about 1 zinc pick. Zinc armour is actually cheaper than leather. But now I'm ranting, so ignore this part.

Really? Wow that's great.

No, you are whining. You are saying something needs to be easier that is already easy.

The first time you play this mod you will spend a few hours trying to get the ore but once you understand it you can locate ore and build your first pick in less than 30 min. I really like that part of TFC. It makes finding ore way more fun if you dont know where to look right away :)

People here can be very snarky.

Every once in a while you can end up starting in an area that is pretty dry in terms of surface ore. It happens. I've done it, it's annoying but you have options. You can either start a new world or you can travel until you find a decent spot - you shouldn't have to go far. You don't have to stay in your starting location. Kill some sheep, make a bed, bring it with you so you can sleep through the nights and just travel until you find a good location. This is sometimes a good thing to do *anyway* just so you can find a good place to set up. Presence of ore isn't the be-all, end-all. I've set up in an ore-rich place only to discover that there wasn't a lick of clay anywhere for miles. Or that there wasn't copper anywhere for miles. Etc etc.

One of the big mistakes people make, I think, is that they start to set up camp as soon as they spawn for the first time, and they don't realize that they really can leave that camp behind and move elsewhere. You don't have to stay. You can build anywhere. The spawn position is only important if you don't have a bed available. If you're that worried, make a trail of torches and just follow the sunrise for a while. That way if you for some reason end up spawning back at the start you can get your bearings.

Part of the fun of this mod is the fact that it is really hard to find everything you need in one location. You almost always end up having to travel to set up mining operations in other parts of the world. This isn't a bad thing especially if you can play with friends, as you can have people in different locations gathering different resources. Setting up a lumber camp in an old-growth forest can cut your charcoal creation times by a huge margine because you don't have to worry about replanting. Just clearcut and move on. Though it's time consuming in single player to have to travel so much and spend so much time searching, I wouldn't trade it for vanilla where you are more or less guaranteed to find everything you need within the first hour of play.

I like having to explore and travel and take risks to advance. Not all challenge is a bad thing. =)

short summary of all the answers above: NUT UP OR SHUT UP :D

short summary of all the answers above: NUT UP OR SHUT UP :D

shorter answer to alll the answer above in my native tongue: Mit ihr umgehen! B)

You could always look at it as if the ore you eventually find are accumulated pieces of smaller unusable ore fragments. That way, the figure of 200 gravel would seem more realistic.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but the overall reaction and way of behaving with a new member like this, who's not understanding what the mod has to offer, disturbs me greatly. I will be completly honest with you, if I was in the place of that guy, Id just want to bash this mod as hard as I can, and make people hate it. I am pretty sure right now this guy is not watching this topic anymore, nor gives a slight attention to the mod he first thought to be intresting (otherwise why would he bother creating a forum account, thats how I think too when I dont care I don't have time to create forum account :P)

Now we have lost a potential mod follower, who could've eventually dragged more friends in (just like I did and they think this mod is awesome too but never had heard of it before). Aaaaand I don't understand why NOBODY tried a friendly and understandable approach. When I read his first post I immediatly thought "he's new to this mod and doesnt know what he's into. Im going to tell him that this mod is hard but very satisfactory!"

But nope. You guys acted like mother bears to their youngs, growls and hostility. Not that the internet has ever been otherwise conserning mutual respect...

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but the overall reaction and way of behaving with a new member like this, who's not understanding what the mod has to offer, disturbs me greatly. I will be completly honest with you, if I was in the place of that guy, Id just want to bash this mod as hard as I can, and make people hate it. I am pretty sure right now this guy is not watching this topic anymore, nor gives a slight attention to the mod he first thought to be intresting (otherwise why would he bother creating a forum account, thats how I think too when I dont care I don't have time to create forum account :P)

Now we have lost a potential mod follower, who could've eventually dragged more friends in (just like I did and they think this mod is awesome too but never had heard of it before). Aaaaand I don't understand why NOBODY tried a friendly and understandable approach. When I read his first post I immediatly thought "he's new to this mod and doesnt know what he's into. Im going to tell him that this mod is hard but very satisfactory!"

But nope. You guys acted like mother bears to their youngs, growls and hostility. Not that the internet has ever been otherwise conserning mutual respect...

When one of your first posts is:

Pretty much bashing the mod. The ores spawn perfectly. You SHOULD have to relocate for the ores. This guy needs to go back to equivilent exchange. You can argue that he is new and is just getting into the mod. We have a wiki for that, we also have many tutorial videos that he could go through.

Overall, the mod is extremely dangerous and everything is bothersome and tedious. That is what makes this mod good. I can't mine straight down with 10 logs and a stone pick and come back up with diamonds. It sounds like this guy died once and then gave up because he lost some pixels.

The op like a great many of newcomers come saying specifically what we play this mod for is WRONG, Yeah, we'll act like momma bears when someone comes in asking how they can help destroy something we care about.

This mod wasn't for them, that's OK, this mod isn't for most people.

Pretty much bashing the mod. The ores spawn perfectly. You SHOULD have to relocate for the ores.

"Perfectly" only according to how the creators intend it to be. It's not universally perfect just because it's working as intended.

As you can deduct from his wording "as it should", he's probably misunderstood how this mod works (or how reality works). That's no excuse to be hostile to him.

You don't yell at someone that has only come under a wrong impression of something.

Nobody I would say has risen above the level of appropriate guidance, we've tried to inform the op of how the mod works and how to play within it, perfect doesn't mean the best thing for everyone because that would often mean two different things at once, it means precisely functioning as intended, and it is that.