Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Shadeslate

Ores are too hard to find starting off.

42 posts in this topic

Nobody I would say has risen above the level of appropriate guidance, we've tried to inform the op of how the mod works and how to play within it

Informed, yes, but that's not all everyone has been doing. He was even 'warned' should he continue to whine.

"But a word of warning; you will be bashed and harmed upon with great severity."

There are a lot of people in this forum that are eager to be hostile.

These posts...

Do I need to incessantly beat every new comer with a rubber hose until they understand that its supposed to be that way? I mean seriously, its become my goal almost.

dangit, i was about to say the same thing, except in less of a friendly tone and more of a "im going to cut you in half" tone

... Are just some examples from this thread.

This is not the first time and I bet my mother it won't be the last time this has happened.

I've brought it up once before, and I still think many people are too snappy, too cranky and too hostile to a lot of people here in this forum.

What's so wrong about being friendly and polite from start to finish?

Sorry for going off topic.

Yep thank you barkingnoise.

My post was pretty much regardless of what the newcomers say. They can say this mod sucks outright and all Id want to do is try hard to make them think otherwise! You can say that im too optimistic or new to the internet, but I think paying respect and being polite to someone who's either bad mannered or being idiotic is the best way to bash them :)

There is not a topic to be off of, as the discussion pretty much finished a while ago... ._.

Sorrily, no matter how many people you change the mind of, there will ALWAYS be someone willing to be hostile, snappy and cranky to newbies. I personally try to moderate myself, even though i have admitelly failed at this in the past...

There is not a topic to be off of, as the discussion pretty much finished a while ago... ._.

Sorrily, no matter how many people you change the mind of, there will ALWAYS be someone willing to be hostile, snappy and cranky to newbies. I personally try to moderate myself, even though i have admitelly failed at this in the past...

Alright Ill confess too. I like to be bad mannered on teh internet. But sometimes I get brain seizure and switch to another self being.

I think the word for this is bipolarity. Yeah, internet bipolarity!

The problem really is that Dunk pretty much encourages that kind of behavior and often takes part in it himself.

I've been on tons of forums for games and mods and gaming communities, seen what I think is the best and the worst of communities. And having lurked for a while, this place is kind of toxic. A lot of back-patting bullying going on, and flinging of self-righteous justifications for being nasty. There's so many Me-Too posts and pile-ups by the same group of people every time, it's unfortunate.

Usually small communities are really inclusive and friendly, this place really, really isn't. Which might be by design, I don't know, but it's sad to me. I wish people would lighten up and share some enthusiasm for a great mod, instead of leaping at every chance to show how in the loop they are by putting down the opinions of others. Dunk should really nip this in the bud in my opinion, but it's basically his forum, and he seems cool with it.

He doesn't encourage it, he just takes Pacific Bluefin Tunas as, uh, gifts.

The reason is because Dunk, and us as well, are quite tired of people coming in to say the mod is broken when it is in fact working as intended.

There's so many Me-Too posts and pile-ups by the same group of people every time, it's unfortunate.

You know, that's because there's not that many people, so there's pretty much the same group of people active at a given time. Situation that newcomers are supposed to dilute. Except many of them are piling up "me too posts" as well. Oh, and bashing things they do not understand and didn't bother to research doesn't help.

Usually small communities are really inclusive and friendly, this place really, really isn't. Which might be by design, I don't know, but it's sad to me. I wish people would lighten up and share some enthusiasm for a great mod, instead of leaping at every chance to show how in the loop they are by putting down the opinions of others.

Don't know about everyone, but I registered here, having played the mod for months at that point, and was accepted by this community very well and natural, like affine part of it.

And oh I am sharing enthusiasm about this mod, but trying not no annoy people with it, as present shows that most popular thing amongst Minecraft mods is Tekkit, which is almost the opposite of TFC in many respects.

Now, I'm also quite new to the forum, but I must say I kinda agree with barkingnoise and fatpoulet. I understand that one gets tired of explaining the same thing over and over to newbs (especially those who sound a fair bit arrogant, like the OP) who has misunderstood the goal of the mod and it's easy to snap, but I think there are better approaches. So here's an idea:

Seeing as how popular youtube videos with tutorials, let's play's and similar are with the minecraft community, one thing that could be done is kind of a "trailer"/ad/minitutorial for TFC. Something short and easy to watch, no more than a minute, with quick pacing, that just focuses on some things that differs from regular minecraft and does so in a positive way. An actual mod Ad, showcasting the difficulty of starting out rather than the awesomeness of chiseled bricks creations. Preferably overly cheesy, overly cheesy seems nice and laid-back, ironically enough.

Like,

"You think you've mastered minecraft survival?" *flashes to someone with a diamond pickaxe*

"Enter terrafirmacraft!" *flashes to someone punching a tree not doing a dent*

"Knapp!" *flash to knapping screen*

"Prospect!" *flash to someone prospecting, getting nothing*

"Build a shelter!" *flash to someone digging out a shelter of earth with straight walls*

"Die!" *flash to the shelter falling together burying the person*

Then do a little flyover some basic huts with some floating text, like "be like forever in the stone age!", "relocate every time you need metal!", "wait a year for crops to grow!", "like dwarf fortress with only one dwarf!" etc etc etc

I'm useless with video, so I can't really do such a thing, but if someone likes to do youtube videos I think having something like that would be great. Then, whenever someone starts a thread like this, just link them to the video. I think it could give the mod some attention, draw the right kind of players and be quite a fun watch, as long as it's pretty short.

string, the way you portrayed it, especially at the end, came over incredibly sarcastic :D (but thats just my brain.) we do need SOME sort of TFC trailer, perhaps a youtuber such as spumwack could help out in his amazing town :D

The mighty wall of text

Spumwack already did this, though it's more of a tutorial/intro than an actual trailer;

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPiFNekV0vU

However, I think this video was only seen by Muse/Spum's subscribers on YouTube, and very few people actually saw it on these forums. Many people already said this, but I think you need to put this video somewhere on the homepage.

string, the way you portrayed it, especially at the end, came over incredibly sarcastic :D (but thats just my brain.) we do need SOME sort of TFC trailer, perhaps a youtuber such as spumwack could help out in his amazing town :D

I think sarcasm is good. I mean, terrafirmacraft is often frustrating - that's part of what makes it great. Just like Dwarven Fortress' slogan "Losing is fun!" I think sarcasm is the way to go with a game this hard. Not that terrafirmacraft is even close to DF in terms of difficulty (yet), though. I feel TFC starts out maybe a square or two higher than starcraft and then levels out later on as there's no "late-game" difficulties yet. Regardless, it's not a newb-friendly mod, and as such I feel it might be better to say "it's this bad, and that's the point!" than saying "it's not that bad!".

Spumwack already did this, though it's more of a tutorial/intro than an actual trailer;

However, I think this video was only seen by Muse/Spum's subscribers on YouTube, and very few people actually saw it on these forums. Many people already said this, but I think you need to put this video somewhere on the homepage.

Yeah, it's a great video. That should be on the front page IMO.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPiFNekV0vU

I totally agree, that video should be on the front page or somewhere easily seen by newcomers.

Shadeslate, while I'm aware that I should've written this apologetic post earlier, I am deeply sorry about how we (especially I) treated you. The reasons are that we are just tired of repetitively informing newcomers that what they have in mind has been already suggested. Many of those said newcomers don't even come to proof-read their own post, and some just don't research their suggestions at all.

I'll try to walk you down through ore-spawning; ores don't spawn everywhere as you think; if they do, then it would be easy to find a place to settle. No fun in that.

Having to relocate is designed to be bothersome and a bit fun, so it is necessary to build a base their just for the specific material you desire. For instance, if you require wood, and you find a massive forest with meagre metal, no clay, meagre surface stone (I'm speaking of the blocks), and it is at least a two-hundred block trip, then you need to construct a lumber camp for that area.

Sluice and Gravel can only pick up ores if they are in the radius of the sluice; that way, you are able to get ores without having to dump said two-hundred blocks of gravel.

If you require assistance, refer to the TFC Wiki, ask for help, or peruse the Guide Forums; the TerraFirmaCraft

Forums will help you with their wisdom.

(And they better, or else...)

And lastly, I apologize for thinking that you were 'whining'. Will you forgive me?

(THAT GOES FOR THE OTHER USERS AS WELL!!)

-Sda209.

While he can make a sluice, so he can't be too nooby. A nice direction to a fully updated video guide would help him and others with equal views.

I'm sorry to say, you probably have a bad seed. But a little exploring goes a long way. In a bad seed I've found a super-vein of sphalerite, and while somewhat useless later on, it provided us EVERYTHING we needed to start off. All I have to say is this: If you don't give up on it, you'll find this mod EXTREMELY rewarding.

Break rocks on the ground and you will find them , they are not that hard and no one should be finishing the game when you start it . :)

-Krski