Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
killster550

Lurkers

27 posts in this topic

revelation due to my overusage of the word Lurker in any chat :D

how about a Mob called a Lurker which does it best to attack the player from the sides or rear of the player (not camera angle, so using 3rd person would help you) it'd be a slowmoving but tediously following mob, doing low damage due to its near perfect surprise effect, and these kind of mobs could mess you up during a normal fight, as you are now suddenly taking damage from something you didnt see coming.

(i guess for believeability it could be called a snake too but dunk stomped snakes :P)

it'd be a 4 legged predator, with a special ability to jump 5-10 blocks in any direction once every 30 seconds to increase the difficulty of dealing with it :D

(good luck trying to find a justifiable objection beyond coding THAT one :P)

Seems like a mammilian version of an endermen to me. They already attacked like that if provoked. Which along with teleporting is really the only difference.

When hearing the name, I immediately got thinking about Chokers from D&D.

Description (from Pathfinder):

Underground predators that often dwell on the outskirts of subterranean ruins or in the deep shadows of nameless cavern outposts, chokers lurk in the darkness and lash out with their long, rubbery arms to grasp prey as it passes by. They seldom attack multiple enemies at once, stalking their quarry until they can isolate a weaker victim from its pack.

Chokers walk with a disturbing, almost comical gait due to their extremely limber legs. Weighing only 35 pounds and standing no taller than a halfling, chokers have no problem skittering across walls and ceilings, often lodging themselves into shadowy corners, tunnel intersections, walls, or staircases. A choker will attempt to grasp creatures of almost any size, but prefers lone prey of its size or smaller.

Chokers appear to have little culture of their own, gathering only briefly to mate before their wanderlust and hunger spurs them again to a solitary existence. Their just-better-than-animalistic intelligence grants them a fascination with the trappings of society even if they do not truly understand it. Accordingly, the grubby lair of a choker (often situated in a difficult-to-reach nook or cranny) usually contains valuable objects such as rings, brooches, cloak clasps, and loose coins gathered from devoured victims.

This fascination occasionally compels a choker to abandon its subterranean home for a closer study of the sunlit world's many civilizations. These chokers feel most at home in the darkened narrow alleyways of human cities, squeezing themselves into sewers, forgotten alcoves, barrels, and similar cramped, overlooked spaces. Chokers prefer to keep hidden during the light of day, emerging from their hidey-holes under cover of darkness to hunt for food and cruel pleasure. Favorite tactics include using their long arms to scoop prey off the street from the safety of a nearby rooftop, attacking sleeping families by squeezing through an open chimney, or tapping on a window to bring their curious food within grasping distance.

PICTURE

It feels like the perfect fit for minecraft monsters. And they're OGL, as far as I know, so there's no legal issue with copying them straight off (or I don't think it is, I'm not that knowledgable about what the OGL actually says, just that it allows one to copy stuff)

shortly summarizing the above post, itsa mob that creeps on any angle and grabs you from afar using superlong limbs, but not physically strong beyond that, i feel that they could be a viable option but the proble mis: its not original, lots of mobs in games have the power to pull you from afar, and with all the slendermen and stuff going on, i think people'd just be like: ermahgerd another slenderbutt

As bsb said, what you ask for already exists, despite the differences between your hipothetical lurkers and the enderman. Only the enderman is more powerful than that lurker, and requires being provoked.

revelation due to my overusage of the word Lurker in any chat :D

how about a Mob called a Lurker which does it best to attack the player from the sides or rear of the player (not camera angle, so using 3rd person would help you) it'd be a slowmoving but tediously following mob, doing low damage due to its near perfect surprise effect, and these kind of mobs could mess you up during a normal fight, as you are now suddenly taking damage from something you didnt see coming.

(i guess for believeability it could be called a snake too but dunk stomped snakes :P)

it'd be a 4 legged predator, with a special ability to jump 5-10 blocks in any direction once every 30 seconds to increase the difficulty of dealing with it :D

(good luck trying to find a justifiable objection beyond coding THAT one :P)

Mmmhmmm.... interesting hostile, Killster.

(Apologies for this necro)

When reading the title, I thought you meant the Lurkers from METRO: 2033.

Ummm....hmmm.... Despite close relation to endermen I am- OBJECTION!!! *Slam* *Points at you while yelling* When and where do you believe these "Lurkers " should spawn?

HOLD IT! said lurkers would spawn at night, in areas with a vertical overhang of 2 blocks wide, or inside caves on the walls and ceilings, which would prompt a player to be ever so wary of ALL of his surroundings, instead of just the floor.

TAKE THAT: lurkers should also differ from endermen in the way that they are capable of traversing 1 block area's (like players can do with SM crawling), move a ton faster than a walking endermen, have less health and damage (their main goal is as distraction danger, not as damage dealer) and perhaps have a rechargeable ranged attack with tongue or extendable arm or tentacle, (reading this i am realizing i am describing the Smoker from l4d so) telltale signs they are around would be an increased movement sound and a custom sound resembling a creature getting ready to punce, (if any creature makes such sound)

OBJECTION OVERRULED (more than 1 can play that game)

OB-OBJECTION! *Half-Hearted Slam* *Slumps onto podium and passes out*

Edited by The Risen

Yeah, I guess the only problem is that coding that one would be hell. What do i know? I'm just a humble nephilim living in your showers. ^_^

P.S. Im sorry if I melted you for double posting but the content of my previous post justifies this chronic action. ;)

Overruled...im afraid i must penalize you for double posting mr The_Risen. also, coding any new mob takes a long while, the difficult part would be the jumping algorithm and animation, which could be partially based off of the endermen and partially off of bats i think (of course theres need for some new stuff) but yet another thing to think about: where do they come from, why do they exist? in TFC, anything but creepers is explained in the game (zombies, spiders and skellies are obvious enough, endermen came from the end) but what about lurkers and creepers?

NOO! Not the penalization! Anywho.... again, just a shower-dwelling-nephilim here,(I need my title to say that!) so sorry if I say something stupid. :P

I feel like this topic needs more attention. im bumping it back up the list.

I feel like your signature gets more attention...that your post.

I feel like this topic needs more attention. im bumping it back up the list.

you okay there Mr. Pieception? seems like you might be going a bit mad, if so, welcome! madness is much more fun than sanity

OK?.....Lemme think about that one.......Glad you approve of my madness I forgot to mention....Would you like a NICE COLD FISH HEAD? It's FROZEN SOLID: FROZEN HEAD OF FISH! EYEBALLS INSIDE AND THE SKELETONS STICKING OUT!

OK?.....Lemme think about that one.......Glad you approve of my madness I forgot to mention....Would you like a NICE COLD FISH HEAD? It's FROZEN SOLID: FROZEN HEAD OF FISH! EYEBALLS INSIDE AND THE SKELETONS STICKING OUT!

ehh, i don't personally like frozen fish heads, although i heard that prehistoric shark-things love them

but here have a nice cup of red tea

-holds out cup-

-slaps cup out of hand, incinerates cup and vaporizes content, summon Alucard to help deal with the vampire, run away HARD-

I like the idea of this new mob, please make it replace creepers, they are the single most annoying game mechanic and will probably be the reason I quit Minecraft one day. You can rationalise zombies and skellies if you just reskin them so zombies could be cavemen and skellies could be bandits (I don't know why they'd burn in daylight) but creepers?

Imagine this mob spawning on the underside of that fancy bridge, even though the ground 10 blocks below is lit up, feel safe? You shouldn't.

-slaps cup out of hand, incinerates cup and vaporizes content, summon Alucard to help deal with the vampire, run away HARD-

Hey! I wanted to try that red tea Srgnoodles offered!

*Calls Britain to help summon the Devil to defeat Alucard*

I like the idea of this new mob, please make it replace creepers, they are the single most annoying game mechanic and will probably be the reason I quit Minecraft one day. You can rationalise zombies and skellies if you just reskin them so zombies could be cavemen and skellies could be bandits (I don't know why they'd burn in daylight) but creepers?

Imagine this mob spawning on the underside of that fancy bridge, even though the ground 10 blocks below is lit up, feel safe? You shouldn't.

Walkers and skeletal archers shouldn't really be reskinned to appear human - there is room for fantasy in believability.

Creepers can't even make a dent that reaches stone (even before Bioxx tweaked the ground soil to be higher). I don't think they will cause that much collateral damage (that's my opinion, regardless); it's the skeletal archers, arachnids, and endermen that players have to worry about.

Walkers and skeletal archers shouldn't really be reskinned to appear human - there is room for fantasy in believability.

Creepers can't even make a dent that reaches stone (even before Bioxx tweaked the ground soil to be higher). I don't think they will cause that much collateral damage (that's my opinion, regardless); it's the skeletal archers, arachnids, and endermen that players have to worry about.

It's the structural damage that really hacks me off, for me it sucks the fun out of it, other people feel differently.

nyaaw, you don't want has?

thanks for the help, but i don't think that you would want this...

Now I WANT THE CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I WANT THE CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wel too bad, you broke it already, no cup of questionable liquid for you

I broke no such cup. I would have drank the mystery liquid no questions asked. :D If it has CALORIES. I WILL EAT IT. :P