Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
yubyub96

Trees models

16 posts in this topic

I know what TFC is about, i know its about adding more believability to the game, make things as they should, and well im surprised no ones has touched the trees, the only few exceptions are willows, sequoias, and douglas fir.All the other trees are pretty much the same, and i have to say that mojang never did a good job on trees,i suggest new "models" to be made for trees, an small note, this guy has made some excellent "models" of trees,http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/native-trees-of-europe-template-repository-1779952/

They are just astonishingly beautiful, when i walked trough that forest i felt much better than walking through a vanilla forest(not to mention forests/plains in TFC) it felt more inmersive.

TL;DR trees need better models(shapes) like this ones http://www.planetmin...sitory-1779952/

some pics taken from this link(not mine)http://imgur.com/a/In9Lu#0

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, Dunk DID said he would eventually rework the trees, i guess this is exactly what he meant (or a good part of it). Be patient, please, you have made 2 different threads (3 threads, but two of them are pretty much the same thing) just about problems with the trees and suggestions about the trees. Oh, and a list of aesthetics changes including changes to trees. Posting it constantly won't make the devs work faster on it.

Note: I agree with you. The vanilla model is terrible, and it's basically used for most of the trees in TFC. It's just that i have seen you bringing up this trees things a bit too much... And i think that, if you focused on something else, you could be making great suggestions on something different from trees. Or not, but it's worth the shot.

Well, Dunk DID said he would eventually rework the trees, i guess this is exactly what he meant (or a good part of it). Be patient, please, you have made 2 different threads (3 threads, but two of them are pretty much the same thing) just about problems with the trees and suggestions about the trees. Oh, and a list of aesthetics changes including changes to trees. Posting it constantly won't make the devs work faster on it.

Note: I agree with you. The vanilla model is terrible, and it's basically used for most of the trees in TFC. It's just that i have seen you bringing up this trees things a bit too much... And i think that, if you focused on something else, you could be making great suggestions on something different from trees. Or not, but it's worth the shot.

Well, what can i say, i love trees XD but i know that i have made 3 topics about it, one got locked due to derailing and growing bigger and bigger, the other one was actually useless( i made a mistake with that one) and the other one was to clear a doubt.

I posted this just because i found this models and i wanted to share it with you guys and give the devs some ideas about them.

I personally think they are gorgeus :3 i hope we can see something like that in TFC soon...

wow...want...

I want those in minecraft. Screw it - I want those to become part of vanilla minecraft, so everyone can have tree-looking trees.

Although there's slight problem:

All trees from there while look gorgeous, are hand-made. So, there will be couple of trees for each type, without any fancy leaf configuration randomization and all that. I suppose, we can have varying trunk lengths and all.

Also, either no growing stages on trees at all, or no dense forests, or dense forests with occasional leaf bugs and us fine with those bugs, or algorithm for growing tree that is near sentient.

We just need to program an AI that will custom design trees in each TFC world!

These trees are definitely awesome. At first they looked really foreign, then when I got used to them, I felt like they fit right in - how trees should have been from the get-go.

Makes you wonder if these get implemented how it will affect the current implementation of chopping down trees. Those trees are ginormous, and an axe with half durability wont be able to chop a whole one down. Maybe durability loss is based on how many swings it takes to chop down a tree, which in turn is based on the hardness of that wood. Anyways, it's a lot to think about.

I like this. It would make TFC seem so much more immersive.

I also think that trees should grow in stages. You can grow a full sized sequoia, but it will take 3 years ingame. Other trees would obviously max out at different sizes.

I also think that trees should grow in stages. You can grow a full sized sequoia, but it will take 3 years ingame. Other trees would obviously max out at different sizes.

There are a lot of threads about this. But I agree. It is a good idea IMHO. I don't think the grow rate should be in years though....what if I just set my year to 36 days or 12?

what if I just set my year to 36 days or 12?

Then you will get your fully grown sequoia faster. Or you don't. Aren't saplings' growth depends on day count?

Then you will get your fully grown sequoia faster. Or you don't. Aren't saplings' growth depends on day count?

I was referring to halfmaster's proposal of it taking 3 years (I was saying, it shouldn't be in years; it should be like 300 days instead.), not the current tree mechanic.

I was referring to halfmaster's proposal of it taking 3 years (I was saying, it shouldn't be in years; it should be like 300 days instead.), not the current tree mechanic.

Honestly, I don't really see what's so horrifying in the notion that someone can abuse tree mechanic in the way when all time-dependent mechanics can be abused - farming, breeding, fruit growth. It's not like he will be playing SMP differently from others on the server, and in SSP one can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

I suppose bioxx could implement minimal number of day in month, which will be 8, and there won't be that kind of concerns anymore.

Amount of years, amount of days, all the same thing. Someone can change their configs (like a lot of people do) to speed up or slow down growth.

What you are asking for is to track how long the player is actually playing the game. That would stop people from being able to do tests on a modified config game...

Amount of years, amount of days, all the same thing. Someone can change their configs (like a lot of people do) to speed up or slow down growth.

What you are asking for is to track how long the player is actually playing the game. That would stop people from being able to do tests on a modified config game...

Good points guys..I retract my previous comment. It was ill-judged.

I don't mean to be mean, making you all do the research yourself, but I really don't think I can explain this well enough for everyone to understand, so:

Paper defining factors and methods of tree growth; http://fennerschool-associated.anu.edu.au/mensuration/BrackandWood1998/T_GROWTH.HTM

Definition of systems used to randomly generate realistic plants and trees from a set of rules and a base code; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-system (Needs environmental factors during life cycle)

How trees are structured and forests around them, fractally;

Something I found that describes how to generate fractal trees in java; http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Fractal_tree

Fractal trees that grow over time, please. You could make it start out as a sapling, then grow slowly over time, increasing height and thickness. Also, tiers of tree wood; stick, branch, bough, log. Please don't keep logs a meter wide, either.

Also, roots, stumps, tree felling (not just dropping logs), cut it up, drag it around, cut into planks, voila.

It's a bit choppy, sorry. Post and run, y'know? :P