Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
IVCraft

Ceramic working, The Second Technological Tier.

85 posts in this topic

I must say I'm against randomly hitting the metal to fulfil the rules. The rules aren't visible in the game unless you have a plan, and I'm not for referring to the wiki to be more or less a _must_ to progress throughout the game. I found that an issue with early minecraft, before achievements that hints to the right way and before simply learning everything and thus not suffering from the issue anymore.

I'd much more prefer simply having a "ceramic saw" that works like a regular saw, just with worse durability. Much, much rather that than having to guess (or look up the wiki) at more or less random recipes that cost a lot of time at every try.

I must say I'm against randomly hitting the metal to fulfil the rules. The rules aren't visible in the game unless you have a plan, and I'm not for referring to the wiki to be more or less a _must_ to progress throughout the game. I found that an issue with early minecraft, before achievements that hints to the right way and before simply learning everything and thus not suffering from the issue anymore.

I'd much more prefer simply having a "ceramic saw" that works like a regular saw, just with worse durability. Much, much rather that than having to guess (or look up the wiki) at more or less random recipes that cost a lot of time at every try.

But if we find a way to make an Scribing Table without a workbench, we won't need to change anything in the forging system.

But if we find a way to make an Scribing Table without a workbench, we won't need to change anything in the forging system.

That is exactly what you guys should focus on. Crude tools or whatever isn't the bottle neck - this damn table is. You know what? Scribing table is crafted with five planks, feather and paper. So, why not just shapeless recipe with plank block, feather and paper? Maybe even an additional plank if single plank is that of a big deal. Three (four?) components fit perfectly in small crafting space.

There you go, second way of dealing with things.

Agreed. I think Just_Another_Guy's solution is great - right-click a wooden block with a book & quill to turn it into a scribing bench, just like how the hammer is used to make stone anvils.

Randomized how? Like... Every time you open the anvil? Or every time you create a new world? So each new world you would need to learn the rules to create your tools maybe?

Everytime you create a new world, I believe.

EDIT: Going Missing In Action for awhile: I have alot of work in the story department, so inform me in the 'Anything Significant Happened?' thread in the Discussion Forums once I have returned.

I've been looking in the wiki about quills, and they aren't just feathers with some ink in the tip -- You actually have to sharpen it's edge for it to work.

So that's the idea: You craft a feather with a knife (shapeless), then you get a quill. The knife is also returned, damaged only a little bit. Quills have a durability bar.

Now right click with a paper on any wooden plank type, and you get a Scribing table (like, you just put a paper on top of the planks - that's what the table looks like right now). The paper is obviously lost. Now open it's menu, there is the normal GUI, and on the bottom left a blank square. Put the quill there.

Using the scribing table wastes durability of the quill (Because it's a feather pen, and it's tip wears out very easily), after it breaks you can't use the scribing table until you replace it.

EDIT: Hey, say what you guys think. I'm not sure if I'm going to put the quill idea on the OP yet.

Or we just make it necessary to resupply ink like what already happens, I'm with JAG and yubyub also. Its simple its easy and it needs no further tweaking at all.

JAG's idea definetely is the way to go for the scribing table problem. Simple, fast, easy to code, and works/fits in. +345 to you JAG.

Every quill needs ink...so you need one more blank square for the ink on the Scribing table.

Hm...now, do we need a bottle for the ink, or do we just use raw squid sack?

(don't chop my head off) ....we could also make ink from flowers.

Every quill needs ink...so you need one more blank square for the ink on the Scribing table.

Markings ARE ink. And you need markings to do any plan on the scribing table

Sure. ink from flowers works, but I think it should only give maybe 1/4 of the ink of a squid sack, maybe even just one marking. Keep in mind, a squid sack is like... one sack of ink, but a flower is tiny in comparison. So a squid sack gives 16 markings, and a flower 1. How does that sound? This is with the current system, below is the whole quill system.

And what about this? A squid sack can be used in a crafting table with a quill. A quill is made with a knife and a feather. A quill + a squid sack gives you an inked quill. This inked quill can be used to make plans by dotting the paper, in a similar fashion to how we place the markings now. The inked quill has...8 durability/uses. Each dot takes up one use. And the squid sack has 2 uses. So one squid sack gives you 16 quill uses.

But once you have glass, you can squeeze 4 squid sacks max into one bottle for 64 uses per bottle. The bottle can be placed in the Scribing table and refills the quill when needed. Huh?

Keep in mind, this is off the top of my head. It would probably just work if we used markings and a quill, but yeah.

So you need a quill and paper to activate the Scribing Table....the rest stays the same as it is now.

That's cool ... adding stuff without really removing anything. :)

..... squeeze 4 squid sacks max into one bottle for 64 uses per bottle. The bottle can be placed in the Scribing table and refills the quill when needed....

That would be more work to implement, but is more believable then it is now...i like it

Now putting the quill idea on the OP...

EDIT: Finished editing the OP.

EDIT2: I'm taking some screenshots and editing some images to put on the topic.

IVCraft, love the suggestion. And images definitely make suggestions go from good to great. It makes that jump from "lot of time put in, but frakkin' hard to read cause it's a wall of text" to "AWESOME! IMAGES!".

Also, a pro-tip. When you need to post again, just use the edit button. It makes things cleaner, and some people around here CAN'T HANDLE double posts. So take care, and just edit your posts.

IVCraft, love the suggestion. And images definitely make suggestions go from good to great. It makes that jump from "lot of time put in, but frakkin' hard to read cause it's a wall of text" to "AWESOME! IMAGES!".

Also, a pro-tip. When you need to post again, just use the edit button. It makes things cleaner, and some people around here CAN'T HANDLE double posts. So take care, and just edit your posts.

Thanks for the advice... And I do use the edit button sometimes, but I'll try to avoid double posts from now. Also, I've edited the OP again and changed a lot of things. The scribbing table idea now has an image too!

Changed a lot of things? I can't see any real difference other than the image..but ok!

Changed a lot of things? I can't see any real difference other than the image..but ok!

Most likely has to do with tweaking.

So why is a saw required to make a crafting table?

It's not ... you need a Scribing table to make a plan for the saw... so you can make one.

And to make a Scribing table, you need a Crafting table.

It's not ... you need a Scribing table to make a plan for the saw... so you can make one.

Not with the new system we have thought of here. Now, it is: place a wooden plank block down, and right click on the top face with a book&quill, similar to how thw anvil works now. And there you go, a Scribing table.

Quoting Kimbblesrath's post here:

IVCraft, you are walking in my Path of the Beginnings. However, you did not have to face the harshness I faced all those years ago... here is some advice:

-If you lose your soul, don't fret! It's the mark of the veteran (I lost mine years ago).

-Do be careful about capitalizing achartran's first letter name; he really despises that and will go postal on those who defile him.

-Don't forget about your suggestions that you plan to implement tons of content (believe me, I forgot to add more to the 'Dynamic Ecosystems' thread. due to its immense amount of content).

-Avoid arguments as humanely possible.

-Because of my angered disposition for monotomy, I tend to write my posts a little more human-like than all.

-Do not necro; the definition of this lexicon term is posting useless information in a(n) aged(?) thread.

-Biodigious is the local troll (no offense to him); do ignore him should he start making insults (again, no offense to him).

-There is some bits of history in the TerraFirmaCraft Forums. For instance; the terrible Holmesian Event (ask achartran about it).

-Prepare for war! There's a possibility that Antvenom (very unlikely, since his fans don't seem to care) or Paulsoarejr or some other well-known YouTuber might review TerraFirmaCraft.

That's some of the tips I could give you, IVCraft. Ask the others for more tips to survive the world of TerraFirmaCraft Forums.

Good luck, soldier!

-Sda209

P.S. - Tamatamatamatama...

In that case, sda is the village idiot (no offense); do ignore him should he start dumbing the place up (which is constantly). No, offense meant.

In that case, sda is the village idiot (no offense); do ignore him should he start dumbing the place up (which is constantly). No, offense meant.

How? I haven't really seen any super-dumb stuff from him, but..feel free to explain how.