Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
IVCraft

Ceramic working, The Second Technological Tier.

85 posts in this topic

The Workbench

Ok, after crafting all that stuff, you have already got your saw, what's the next step? While holding the saw, right click in any wooden block (pine logs, oak planks, etc.), and you make a crafting table...

About Scribing tables:

...Because workbenches are not avaliable until you have a saw...

So why is a saw required to make a crafting table?

Oh..umm...Now we look like the stupid ones for misunderstanding what you were asking. My bad.

Anyway, it is because the crafting table as it is now (4 plank blocks compressed into a m^3 block is unbelievable) needs changing (quoting [actually paraphrasing]OP here).

The thing is, you can't just magically work everything on a workbench. So, a mechanic was added that you need a hammer and a saw in the crafting table. The hammer is used and loses durability when working stone or metal, and the saw is used by working wood, and loses durability when that happens. To make a crafting table, you right click on the top of a wood (log or plank) block. with a saw.

The bench will not function without a saw, and will revert to a regular block if the saw is taken out/runs out of durability, much like the current stone anvil. The hammer is not necessary for the table to function, but IS necessary for the table to work stone. Without a hammer, the table will not be able to work stone.

Make sense now?

If you wanted to assemble something right now, you would use a saw to prepare the work surface? No, you would find a reasonably flat, level area and get to building. The saw is an unnecessary requirement.

It isn't that you need a saw to prepare the work space, you need a saw to actually work the wood, chop, cut, etc.

Not all items need a saw or hammer to be made. The saw is being used as a requirement to initially open the crafting table gui.

We have gone through the crafting table expansion idea already that isn't the point of this thread go find that thread if you would like to discuss the mechanics of the workbench in the mean time, ceramics.

It is a point of this thread since the OP states it as a new feature in how he wants the crafting/scribing tables to work.

Not all items need a saw or hammer to be made. The saw is being used as a requirement to initially open the crafting table gui.

And the ones that don't will be made with ceramic. I might be blanking out, but could you name some items that don't need a hammer or saw and won't be made with ceramic?

Off the top of my head, probably all items that can be crafted in the 2×2 (sure it can be done in the inventory but it wouldn't be believable saying they can't be crafted on the crafting table), including putting the toolheads on their handles, the firestarter, goldpan, etc.; glass panes (I'm sure they'd love having the saw and hammer used on them); ladders and fences ( you need a saw to tie things together?); arrows and others.

I stand corrected.

How about this then. The crafting table is made by putting a Hickory Log (any log/plank will work) in your inventory crafting table. by itself The only use this has is to differentiate between a regular log/plank and a crafting table plank. The hickory log will now be named Hickory Crafting Table, and has the same texture as a hickory log/plank depending on what you used. The crafting table will open, but can only craft simple things that don't need tools such as the things you mentioned above.

This table has slots on the side for tools. The tools can be placed on the crafting table by Shift-right clicking with a saw, hammer, chisel or knife. The GUI will be able to open without tools, but will only, as I said earlier, will be able to perform simple craftings that do not require tools.

Other craftings however, will require tools. Making a door for example, saw. Chiseling a brick, hammer + chisel. etc, etc.

The tools can be removed either by opening the GUI and removing the tools,. or Shift-right clicking on the tools from the side of the table.

In that case, sda is the village idiot (no offense); do ignore him should he start dumbing the place up (which is constantly). No, offense meant.

Explain how I have impaired intelligence, then.

Bio, you can't just make false claims without info to back it up. Sure this might just be trolling, but...come on. If you have solid info to back it up...sure, go for it.

In that case, sda is the village idiot (no offense); do ignore him should he start dumbing the place up (which is constantly). No, offense meant.

you're not so good at the whole "I'll try harder next time" thing, are you? (I know you didn't actually say that, but you really can't go pointing fingers like that). And saying you mean no offence is just dumb. If Hitler followed up in 1945 by saying "I didn't really mean to hurt anyone" it wouldn't have meant shitsquat, just like how manslaughter is still a crime even when its an accident, because you DID something wrong. I hope you're happy with your brand new warning level.

It seems I forgot some people can't SEE warning levels. Yours is now 8/10, dangerously close to the ban zone.

Errr... Maybe Spanser should try and make the warning level visible for users so we can be careful with what we do?

BTW, i wonder what's my warning level...

Now that you mention it, I wonder what mine is too...And can it go down, or is it like once it goes up, that's it, you'll never be able to lower it?

you're not so good at the whole "I'll try harder next time" thing, are you? (I know you didn't actually say that, but you really can't go pointing fingers like that). And saying you mean no offence is just dumb. If Hitler followed up in 1945 by saying "I didn't really mean to hurt anyone" it wouldn't have meant shitsquat, just like how manslaughter is still a crime even when its an accident, because you DID something wrong. I hope you're happy with your brand new warning level.

Luckily, I used punctuation in my post. So sda, I think this was meant for you. Seems you were just compared with Hitler.

Also, about time this thread got to the Hitler/Nazi stage.

It seems I forgot some people can't SEE warning levels. Yours is now 8/10, dangerously close to the ban zone.

Oh noes! I'm eight infraction points away from zero.

Luckily, I used punctuation in my post. So sda, I think this was meant for you. Seems you were just compared with Hitler.

Also, about time this thread got to the Hitler/Nazi stage.

Oh noes! I'm eight infraction points away from zero.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make a complete and total fool of yourself, insult a dev just after they give you warn levels.

How about this then. The crafting table is made by putting a Hickory Log (any log/plank will work) in your inventory crafting table. by itself The only use this has is to differentiate between a regular log/plank and a crafting table plank. The hickory log will now be named Hickory Crafting Table, and has the same texture as a hickory log/plank depending on what you used. The crafting table will open, but can only craft simple things that don't need tools such as the things you mentioned above.

This table has slots on the side for tools. The tools can be placed on the crafting table by Shift-right clicking with a saw, hammer, chisel or knife. The GUI will be able to open without tools, but will only, as I said earlier, will be able to perform simple craftings that do not require tools.

Other craftings however, will require tools. Making a door for example, saw. Chiseling a brick, hammer + chisel. etc, etc.

The tools can be removed either by opening the GUI and removing the tools,. or Shift-right clicking on the tools from the side of the table.

That's a pretty damn good idea. It's logical, easy and intuitive, and new users can easily figure it out by themselves, as opposed to my idea of right clicking a block with a saw.

I stand corrected.

Not bad at all... though, some recipes will need to be changed to account for this (for example, instead of placing in the crafting grid two logs and a saw + having a saw in the table just to make support beams, you just place the logs).

That sounds awesome.

And I got an idea about finding clay: It has been mentioned that many people have a hard time finding clay, and making clay a necessary second tier, in larger amounts, could make the game very swingy (where you don't know if you'll reach zinc tier in an ingame week or five). My suggestion is to make right-clicking with a shovel work like the prospector's pick but attuned to clay only - so it shows "found traces of clay" et cetera, and start spawning clay in smaller amounts a little here and there; in real life, there's loads of different clays and not all are found at riverbeds, so it makes sense you could find some clay inland to, and using a shovel to check the earth for clay makes sense.

What do you think?

That sounds awesome.

And I got an idea about finding clay: It has been mentioned that many people have a hard time finding clay, and making clay a necessary second tier, in larger amounts, could make the game very swingy (where you don't know if you'll reach zinc tier in an ingame week or five). My suggestion is to make right-clicking with a shovel work like the prospector's pick but attuned to clay only - so it shows "found traces of clay" et cetera, and start spawning clay in smaller amounts a little here and there; in real life, there's loads of different clays and not all are found at riverbeds, so it makes sense you could find some clay inland to, and using a shovel to check the earth for clay makes sense.

What do you think?

It could also detect traces of peat

It could also detect traces of peat

Peat is found only in swamps, that shouldn't be difficult at all considering how much water is there. Also, I don't think that peat can leave traces outside of its bog, so that should technically work only when you're looking exactly at peat block.

changing bowls to be made from clay. I want to make clay more useful, but its difficult. Don't know when I'll get this in though.

Yes, that whole part where you heat up your meals in campfire using wooden bowls is a bit awkward.

changing bowls to be made from clay. I want to make clay more useful, but its difficult. Don't know when I'll get this in though.

well wooden bowls should still be a thing, just used for different things like storing powders and dyes in, clay bowls should be for cooking with though