Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
fliffy101

blueprints are way too op

111 posts in this topic

Special thanks to pwajnkai for such a genious mind. :D

Basically, blueprints, in their current state, are way to op. You can't just hit a block of marble with a peice of paper and make a statue; In reality, blueprints aren't time savers, they're directions.

So when you use a blueprint on block, every micro block to be broken is highlighted, so as to show you what to do.

in addition to this, blueprints would be infinitly usable, as reading a peice of paper doesn't make it vanish into thin air.

This would only be effective in survival, and creative would remain as is; Because well, its creative.

I also believe that you should only be able to create a blueprint of a block you yourself created, as you can't just walk up to the eiffel tower and create a blueprint of it. This way we can have Uncle berton's corner road statue shop :P

Thread Discussion over.

Dunk, opinions? ^_^

Edited by fliffy101

I agree! But rather than making it impossible to copy someone elses and make blocks carry tags of who made them, why not just make a copier chisel? It could be one of the secret plans Dunk was talking about.

because that would make the same issue bsb, the only solution would be to use some kind of lock mechanic which locks your detailed blocks to you alone, so no one else can blueprint them unless you want them too :D

forcing any locking system on the public is bad in a sandbox. if its however entirely optional be it though a lock mode or some kind of signature added after the construction, I am all for it.

ecc, i meant it as a toggleable option, hence the unless you want them too part.

it'd be a function in the game to secure your chisel work, like several mods allow players to secure their chests if they want too

I think that they should remove blueprints altogether. It makes detailed work completely unskilled.

there is still skill in making it in the first place, but its incredibly annoying if you want to make a large chiselled area and have to do the very same gazillion clicks every block,

So? It is very annoying to have to mine 3 km to find iron, but that is still in. You have to click exactly the same with your pick and your propick and your torches. It shouldn't be easy to make a large chiseled area, it should be challenging.

you forget that every individual chisel click you change you have to make a new blueprint for, this is done to speed up the rate in which people can make good things with chiselling, but the first time you make something its gonna be hard, this is just for the already masters that wish to recreate it at a friends place or stuff like that (or as someone above me said, statue shop :D)

So? It is very annoying to have to mine 3 km to find iron, but that is still in. You have to click exactly the same with your pick and your propick and your torches. It shouldn't be easy to make a large chiseled area, it should be challenging.

That isn't forced. That is BAD LUCK if you don't spawn near iron. But taking away blueprints, it is FORCED TEDIUM.

you forget that every individual chisel click you change you have to make a new blueprint for, this is done to speed up the rate in which people can make good things with chiselling, but the first time you make something its gonna be hard, this is just for the already masters that wish to recreate it at a friends place or stuff like that (or as someone above me said, statue shop :D)

It should take a very long time to make something, unless it's with creative. As for the statue shop, say you make a statue, and it took forever, so you decide it must be worth a lot. You sell them for 5 iron ingots each. Someone buys one, then copies it a whole load of times and sells them for 1 iron each. How is that fair? However, without the blueprints, you know how to make them in your head. Someone could copy them, but then they do just as much work as you, so it is fair.

That isn't forced. That is BAD LUCK if you don't spawn near iron. But taking away blueprints, it is FORCED TEDIUM.

Well, if you want to build a really big smooth stone structure, it takes a lot of work to get all the stone, which, according to you is FORCED TEDIUM. So why don't we add NEI in so everyone can just spawn whatever they need in?

hence the lock system, if fleshed out properly, people would not be able to copy the blueprint you made from the blueprint you made, they'd have to make the block manually.

say i make a block that looks like a thin wall, you buy my blueprint for thin wall, i locked it, so even if you use my blueprint, you still cannot make a blueprint of said thin wall, unless you chiselled it yourself.

Well, if you want to build a really big smooth stone structure, it takes a lot of work to get all the stone, which, according to you is FORCED TEDIUM. So why don't we add NEI in so everyone can just spawn whatever they need in?

Again, the lock system. that would fix this problem. And if you don;t like that, the system where only the creator can blueprint a block. I think the lock is better though. It isn't forced that way.

Blueprints are consumed when used, aren't they?

P.S. - I'm using a phone to type this post.

I like the lock idea, especially to make it toggle-able. Removes the risk of simple copy/paste plagiarism. I agree with Kimbblesrath: it is forced tedious work to recreate the same block along a structure - even something simple as a fence pattern. Remember you have already done the work to create the design in the first place, and there will be plenty more work in further detailing. Any idea how frustrating it is to get a block almost done then screw of a single sub-block; thereby having to start a fresh?

To make it slightly less OP I already like the idea of consuming PER block. Paper and ink isn't expensive or too hard to find but it does add up for large structures. If it is getting a little over powered it could always be bumped up to 2 or 3 markings per page.

because that would make the same issue bsb, the only solution would be to use some kind of lock mechanic which locks your detailed blocks to you alone, so no one else can blueprint them unless you want them too :D

Explain to me how only allowing those who have played for a very long time and explored hard or have a lot of money (or a very impressive thief) to do this is exactly the same. The problem as I see it is that blueprints are OP, so what is the normal solution? You make them require more work to get. What is wrong with that it is how everything else in this mod works I'm missing why we should stray from that.

not exactly understanding where you're coming from, in which manner do you think its OP, because the original post was about people being able to copy your stuff, which would be fixed via toggleable lock system.

You are correct sir, you are correct the original concern of the post was the fear that copying was far too easy or OP or whatever. My problem is that this isn't a bukkit plug-in we don't 'lock' blocks, it simply isn't believable in fact it hardly even makes sense. What are you locking it with so they can't copy it? Are you covering it? We can already do that.

Preventing someone doing it with no effort is the real problem here, I certainly wouldn't want some noob running into my house and copying my amazing furniture. Sure it takes metal but why stop there, only the best of the best (or those in creative) would be able to copy.

If they were a lot more expensive then I would have as big of a problem with it.

The main thing though is it gets rid of skill. Once you have made one good block you don't have to do a good job on the next one, you would just copy paste. It makes it way to easy.

I see exactly where you are coming from that makes sense but sense the feature is already in the game I highly doubt it will be removed so instead we tweak it to make it balanced aka it takes a lot of work to skip a little work. These secret plans as Dunk described them would be a rare difficult thing to find, requiring a lot of searching and work just like the rest of the mod.

but sense the feature is already in the game I highly doubt it will be removed

Flint tools.

Stone pickaxe.

One row chests.

A stick for every tree.

Do i need to search deeper for things added and then removed? There has been quite a bit of features like those, and any feature has to be considered one of 'em when it has only recently been released. (Of course, the stone pickaxe was there for a quite long time before being removed from what i know, but that's not my point...)

So locking isn't believable? How about copied blocks gain some form of signature so when people show it off, others know whose work it was. Bringing it to <censor>real life conceptualisation</censor> would be that furnishings or modellers etc. with a big name would either mark their work somehow or experts would instinctively recognise the style; so a tell-tale signature wouldn't be so far-fetched.

This is a problem only in SMP, so i would try to give the moderators the ability to act upon this problem. Basically, by registering every time a player uses a blueprint on a chiselled block, and he's coordinates at the moment.

Then, when a player claims "I made this sculpture, guys, come and see!" and some other later answers "He's a liar, i'm the one who made it first!", mods just need to check if any of them used blueprints on the other's land, and then act based on their own judgement.

This won't avoid some other player from using blueprints in your sculpture, i know. It will, however, avoid people from getting unfairlyry the credit for it. This won't avoid someone else from memorizing your sculpture and making it step by step, either; but in that case, the copier did as much work as the original artist, so i don't see much of a problem...