Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
killster550

Star navigations

42 posts in this topic

What if stars were scattered randomly for every seed, that way every map would have a different set of stars, kind of like the meal mechanic.

Also I happened to notice that minecraft stars aren't randomized, they remain the same every night, if you actually pinpoint different star locations at different hours facing a particular direction you could work out a navigational system.

After playing around I got a good picture of the night sky facing west (sunset side). I took the liberty of creating a constellation, Ill let you guys name it whatever you want.

Posted Image

Ill let you guys name it whatever you want.

Posted Image

"Crapiest zig-zag in the world" will do.

Now seriously, i think we already have more than enough resources for navigating, both with starts and without them... So i don't really see a reason to give the players even more tools. IMO.

After playing around I got a good picture of the night sky facing west (sunset side). I took the liberty of creating a constellation, Ill let you guys name it whatever you want.

Posted Image

Cat.

Now seriously, i think we already have more than enough resources for navigating, both with starts and without them... So i don't really see a reason to give the players even more tools. IMO.

I do. It's a nightmare to travel by ocean diagonally. And if by resources you mean vanilla maps (which aren't craftable via mod resources far as I can tell, and if they do, finding redstone itself usually requires either traveling or extensive mine digging) , mods and coordinates, I disagree with you. Mind though that I'm talking about naval navigations, where landmarks are almost irrelevant, if you don't place them yourself on ocean floors.

I think making maps craftable again would be a good idea. Maybe without the pointer showing where you are on the map - that way you have to make or note landmarks.

Posted Image

Godzilla Minor.

I do. It's a nightmare to travel by ocean diagonally. And if by resources you mean vanilla maps (which aren't craftable via mod resources far as I can tell, and if they do, finding redstone itself usually requires either traveling or extensive mine digging) , mods and coordinates, I disagree with you. Mind though that I'm talking about naval navigations, where landmarks are almost irrelevant, if you don't place them yourself on ocean floors.

I didn't meant neither maps, (other) mods or coordinates. Whatever pattern you find can be useful for navigation if it points in a direction and you know what direction is it (even if you can't say "this way is north"). You could go to the bottom of the sea and place sand of a different colour of the normal one to make signs to your destiny, if you wanted to, and that could do the job. Any kind of formation in the stars, some natural landmarks (if you keep a close eye on your sorroundings, even in the middle of the oceans, they aren't that hard to find), direction of cloud's movement (or sun's, or moon's)... Whatever you have avaliable to use. Sure, most of those things aren't possibilities when it's raining in the middle of the sea (except you can still see the light of the sun rise and fall), but hey, people navigating the oceans used to get lost due to storms, so doesn't it makes some sense you do too?

I didn't meant neither maps, (other) mods or coordinates. Whatever pattern you find can be useful for navigation if it points in a direction and you know what direction is it (even if you can't say "this way is north"). You could go to the bottom of the sea and place sand of a different colour of the normal one to make signs to your destiny, if you wanted to, and that could do the job. Any kind of formation in the stars, some natural landmarks (if you keep a close eye on your sorroundings, even in the middle of the oceans, they aren't that hard to find), direction of cloud's movement (or sun's, or moon's)... Whatever you have avaliable to use. Sure, most of those things aren't possibilities when it's raining in the middle of the sea (except you can still see the light of the sun rise and fall), but hey, people navigating the oceans used to get lost due to storms, so doesn't it makes some sense you do too?

Star navigation won't do anything to help out during rainstorms. What it can do is making naval navigations to not tie up to essentially four straight lines (even those can be tricky, as having diversion of 015' or so can make you miss your destination in the long run).

Cobblestone pillars are always the way out, of course, it's about the most efficient means of navigation since Minecraft Survival Test.

as for star generation, i think that having a predefined starmap would be great, but split in chunks, which get altered per seed (not sore how easy this'd be to do) and also, like i said, having a starmap changing gradually as the calender progresses can throw people off, you expect to see your constellation (you would need some sort of marking system in the first place) on the left of the moon but a few days later its opposite of the moon (depending on calender speed)

Ill let you guys name it whatever you want.

Posted Image

Bioxx's iron boot or *someone*'s iron boot.

Bioxx's iron boot or *someone*'s iron boot.

The Moon's Left Boot

The Moon's Left Boot

best idea so far. Actually I'll change it a little bit. 'The northern boot'

So which direction does the opening of the boot point.

So which direction does the opening of the boot point.

east, however it is on the north side of the moon.

If you are proposing to add 2 stars that would shine difrently in the sky and tell you where north and sough are then i am up for it but if you are thinking to add a entire map of the universe then NO . :)

-Krski

If you are proposing to add 2 stars that would shine difrently in the sky and tell you where north and sough are then i am up for it but if you are thinking to add a entire map of the universe then NO . :)

-Krski

Reasons?

The whole point of exercise is to add more relation points to the sky. You can already easily tell where the north is anyway using celestral bodies' movement.