Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
daeldir

Planks, support beams an cavings

5 posts in this topic

Hello everybody. First of all, sorry if this is not the right place for this question, I'm new here. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (the same goes for my english, as it is not my native language).

I have been playing a little, and have not yet been able to make a saw (really new, eh?). I use "plank" blocks (microblocks?) as support beams. My house has it's dirt roof supported thank to that, and I'm currently using it in my mine.

Two questions about that:

- Is it safe, or will I experience cavings if I continue like that (I'll try harder ;-))?

- If it is safe, is it a bug? (if we can use planks, why bothering making support beams?)

In other words, does this bug exists, and if so, is it really a bug, or a feature?

(I think support beams have other advantages, as they support more than one block at a time, but if I'm not using planks as intended, I'd prefer to know that and let the community know it is possible…)

Support beams support the ceiling, one block above that and five blocks in each direction so they are much more versatile in preventing cave-ins. Planks would only support the block above them AFAIK.

Ok. So, this is safe, but not a bug, as we need to use a lot of planks to support a roof (one for one block, as opposed to one for 121 (?) blocks with the support beam). (if it is five in each direction, we have (5+1+5)² blocks supported, am I right? If i had done this calculation earlier, maybe would I not have asked… That is a big difference…)

Well, if it is legit, that's a good trick when beginning a new world… :-) (and now, I have a saw o/ I'm feeling so glad… That feel better than a diamond pickaxe in vanilla :-°)

I would have to guess that it's not a bug. Like you said, it is a great way to construct an early shelter. I'll have to try it.

Congrats on the saw! Many more challenges await!

Yea, i was also wondering if this was an intended feature... works like a charm:

Posted Image

Posted Image

They make nice window frames too (wish you could micro put glass) :)/>