Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
rastynicc

Ores blending in?

31 posts in this topic

I'm very new to this mod (downloaded it 3 days ago) and I'm wondering if ore blocks have changed?

Because I have watched a few of Spumwhack's Lets Plays, and when he dug underground to mine ore, the ore blocks looked different.

I've recently dug underground after prospecting the surface, finding Sphalerite. But when I found the ore, they looked exactly like the blocks that surrounded them, making it excessively hard to find the ore.

I don't know if this is something that has changed or if this is a glitch.

(PS. I know this would fall more into the "Bugs" forum, but it seems to currently be down)

Ores get an 'overlay' graphic - so you see a normal stone-block with the overlay of an ore-vein.

edit. -.- can't find the pics I wanted to add at the moment...

edit2: arghhh - no way, I don't know where I have put it and Iam to lazy to change HDD in my notebook atm. ^^

But depending what Ore you found in what sort of stone, it could be that both textures had nearly the same color.

Sometimes the differences are only hard to see.

Oh thank you! I will certainly look at them very thoroughly from now on :D

This is not a bug, this is intended. We actually had some suggestions about making ore blocks have even less distinction than they have now (coupled with slightly different mining and prospecting technics).

Ore should be completely invisible, in my opinion, to make the propick more important.

Ore should be completely invisible, in my opinion, to make the propick more important.

That would be fun, I think, but the propick would need more precision and accuracy for that to be playable.

Why not simply edit the texture-file?

Had done this long time ago, when first playing modded MC with Red Power.

Giving a standard-stone-texture to the gems the mod add make them less overpowered and gives the player the surprisingly feeling of finding a treasure when mine through stone that drops that shiny things. ;)

I dunno. I actually like seeing veins of ore once you have dug and searched for quite a while. It is a rewarding feeling to see those. Not to mention knowing what you are looking at and where you are digging saves you valuable wear and tear on your tools.

To each their own though. :)

Well, really It is all personal opinion. And if you don't like the amount if blend in, change the texture and make a texture pack yourself. There is no need to add it into the base game; it is your playing style, YOU decide. And instead of taking valuable time out of Bioxx and Dunk's lives to change the textures and add a toggle option between easily visible, hardly visible, etc. Just simply make a texture, and cater it to your playing style.

This is not a base game thing. It is on your end. It is like saying "Oh, make the base brightness value always to Moody, and don't let the player change it"

Sure, that might be a way to harden the difficulty of the game, but again, that is YOUR playing style. That YOU change.

TL;DR If you want it different, make a texture pack for it.

Oh, make the base brightness value always to Moody, and don't let the player change it

That was about half of things in death penalty thread though.

That was about half of things in death penalty thread though.

Really? I try to read those threads, but they get to like 400 pages, and just......uggh. And are you just commenting on that,or actually praising or battering the post?

Really? I try to read those threads, but they get to like 400 pages, and just......uggh. And are you just commenting on that,or actually praising or battering the post?

I'm not completely understand what are you asking. Let me just say this: I don't see the problems with how ores look like now and so I don't have a reason to ask for change. I'm also agree that this should be a texture pack feature, not gameplay feature.

I'm also thinking that if we force something like moody brightness, we might as well replace all Menoch's tunes with J.Bieber howling - that'll be the challenge for real though men.

I'm also thinking that if we force something like moody brightness, we might as well replace all Menoch's tunes with J.Bieber howling - that'll be the challenge for real tough men.

Sunuvah!! There goes my surprise Justin Bieber hidden track titled "Creeper Gots Gas".

Okay, I have though of a better idea, how about there is one ore that is invisible, to make it more valuable. If we ever get end game fantasy metals, this could be it. To make it harder to find, the propick only picks it up if you actually click on it, so you have to run into a vein to find it.

Okay, I have though of a better idea, how about there is one ore that is invisible, to make it more valuable. If we ever get end game fantasy metals, this could be it. To make it harder to find, the propick only picks it up if you actually click on it, so you have to run into a vein to find it.

And we can call it unobtainium... and we can build invisible jets with it!

:P

Imo, I think the red and blue steel, though not real, is still believable. But invisible ore sounds too far fetched. For end game metal, how about wootz/damascus steel? This has already been mentioned in previous posts, but it does fit the time frame and was a highly sought after and incredibly durable steel.

:P

Imo, I think the red and blue steel, though not real, is still believable. But invisible ore sounds too far fetched. For end game metal, how about wootz/damascus steel? This has already been mentioned in previous posts, but it does fit the time frame and was a highly sought after and incredibly durable steel.

Well, the ore wouldn't be invisible, you wouldn't be able to see it until after you mine it.

example:

You can see gold before you refine it:

Picture

but not uranium ore

Picture

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING URANIUM

I am just using it as an example.

Although I would love some nice invisible armour.

Guys...come on. TRY to be believable. Invisible armor? :P

Guys...come on. TRY to be believable. Invisible armor? :P/>

Heehee. Imagine the look of surprise on the face of someone who challenges you to a duel. They brought a rapier and are wearing their sunday best, and you have your uranium powered invisible plate armor suit, complete with your triple bladed invisible +10 Vibro Magma Sword of Reality Slaying!

Shazam!

Although I would love some nice invisible armour.

Ok

Posted Image

There you go.

:P/>

Hear hear! :)

I was joking about the invisible armour. I just thought it would be good if we had no way to tell a certain ore from the rock itself.

Also, nuggets you pick up on the surface should act a look like normal rocks, but smelt in a fire. Other ricks would just disappear.

Other ricks would just disappear.

MYSTERIOUS VOICE:

And as Rick right clicked upon the fire, POOF! He was gone.

And his Parakeet Archibald was left to ponder the madness of it all...

I had that problem once: The sphalerite was blending in with the rest of the rocks. My propick kept telling me it was around, but I couldn't find it! I thought it was a bug... Wasn't until I mined a rock and it dropped ore that I realized it! Hated it...

Having all the ore be the same as the rock (invisible ore) would be insane. You would do so much extra mining/propicking... I'm not sure if I'm on board or not... actually seems like a more believable method of getting ore (though the game play would inevitably be less fun for people...)

I had that problem once: The sphalerite was blending in with the rest of the rocks. My propick kept telling me it was around, but I couldn't find it! I thought it was a bug... Wasn't until I mined a rock and it dropped ore that I realized it! Hated it...

Having all the ore be the same as the rock (invisible ore) would be insane. You would do so much extra mining/propicking... I'm not sure if I'm on board or not... actually seems like a more believable method of getting ore (though the game play would inevitably be less fun for people...)

That is why I suggest maybe only a later tier of ore. It would make the jump to it a lot harder.

That is why I suggest maybe only a later tier of ore. It would make the jump to it a lot harder.

i am not all that ssupportive of this idea, as ores are actually easy to see againt its host rock if you know whaat your looking for.