Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krski

Forge can't be used to melt metals.

13 posts in this topic

(I am coming from TDKminecraft's latest video "Making a ingot EP5")The forge can't be used to melt metal into ingots for some strange reason , idk if this is intended but it felt rather strange that you can not melt metals in a higher temperature of the forge but you can in a normal fire.

You have to use a bloomery to smelt ore. A forge can then be used to work the metal into ingots and then tools.

But you can smelt ore in campfire. Sounds strange to me.

But you can smelt ore in campfire. Sounds strange to me.

Unbeknownst to Skyrim and World of Warcraft, a forge is not a device for melting metals, it is more accurately described as a workbench.

And yes, ore really can be crudely melted into metals with a campfire.

No no no - you must look closer on the realism...

You definitely can smelt SOME ores in open fireplaces if their melting point is low enough.

But a FORGE isn't made for melting ores, it's for bringing metals to a temperature that you can hammering it out.

Okay - it would be more realistic if you were able to also smelt the ores with low melting point in a forge - it would also be possible in real - but put this feature in for only 3 sorts of ores?

If I can reach melting point of some ore in forge, why can't I smelt it? It's realistic in some case, but definitely not believable. And it's not believable for me, that I can't put a piece of ore into forge.

If I can reach melting point of some ore in forge, why can't I smelt it? It's realistic in some case, but definitely not believable. And it's not believable for me, that I can't put a piece of ore into forge.

An open fire reaches it hottest spot directly above the flame you can see. To smelt some ore you can place you mold directly over the flame, but the ore in it and wait till it is molten.

A forge is ventilated from the side or the bottom - so, when you but the ingot in the forge filled with coal, it reach a constant temperature you want and what is exactly the temperature you need for bringing your metal into the right temperature. If you would try smelting the same way you did over the flame, you probably never reach enough heat for smelting.

Is that more believable for you? If not, you must excuse - this is as much detailed as I can do it in this language. ;)

It's about gameplay balance, not realism

I heard that a forge is too impure to smelt ores and would simply corrupt them and produce very low quality metal.

I heard that a forge is too impure to smelt ores and would simply corrupt them and produce very low quality metal.

Of course it is - you would have to cover your ore with the coals in the forge - and unfortunately that's not the way you get your carbon into this iron ore for making it steel... :D

Forges can't handle the volume that is required to smelt ores, their purpose is to reheat metals to working. That's why the bloomery has to be constructed with a massive chimney.

I once heard that melting ore in forges was planned but not a high priority.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0