Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ECC

Cobble, Brick, Surface rocks

19 posts in this topic

Before I begin, this topic is not open for discussion. I have thought it though in its entirety and this simply stands as a stop gap between a full masonry system and a mechanically sound way of explaining the small rock=big rock. I dont actually care what is said in this topic, its me organizing my thoughts and bypassing the text limit in the IRC for when I talk to Bioxx and Co. If you REALLY want to argue it, go to the IRC #TFCraft

Drop Mechanics: Surface rocks give 1 rock(if not dropping ore), Mined stone gives 3-5(varies, average should always be 4), Mined ore gives ore and 1-0 rock(just a personal reasoning, it annoys me when you dont get rock from it yet the ore quantity is so low)

rock placing mechanics: Placing a rock works similar to Charcoal and Wood Logs. It places a 1/4th layer against a surface. It is subject to TFC gravity mechanics(includes supports). Placing cobble on more cobble adds another 1/4th layer to it.

Brick Cutting mechanics: Chisel+rock recipe, produces single 'brick'

(LOGIC: Your cutting it down to size so it can fit with other bricks)

Brick Placement mechanics: Bricks fill 1/8th block, placement is similar to 'plank'

(CPU cheap route: only bricks of the same kind fit within same cube. Avoid using same mechanics as cubits)

this is a stopgap between vanilla styled and TFC masonry. Later the application of using a 'glue' between placing a new cobble/brick layer can easily be added.

I would prefer if little rocks had the effect of the bricks too.But an idea i had is that if you build taller than 1 block the stones on top will go down(similar to dirt) avoiding the making of big walls of loose stones, unless you had some mortar, made with lime,water and sand, which you will have to put on your hotbar in order to be applied to the stone you are placing, and perhaps you will need something to apply it with too, like an spatula.You could make a wall out of loose stone but you will have to reinforce it with planks on its sides.You will also need the mortar for the bricks.

For the early game I would like a non-metal tool that can destroy cobblestone, and cobblestone only. I hate it when a griefer leaves cobble all over your hovel.

If cobblestone is loose rock simply placed in the world, it makes no sense that it can't be gathered by hand, so long as you gather it from the top.

I like it.

I'm also drunk so even if I had more opinions I would not be able to articulate them, I will likely try to later, but I'm not sure if I have any problems anyway.

I like the idea, but I suggest the bricks be 1/4th blocks for two reasons. One, the brick texture physically shows they are 1/4th the size of a block each. Secondly, mining one full stone block yields an average of 4 small stones; however, if the texture would be changed (perhaps to something similar to vanilla's clay brick texture, and you assume half the stone is lost in the brickmaking process, 1/8th bricks would work perfectly. Thigh-high bricks are somewhat absurd anyhow.

being a dick here, but you all do realize I went over ALL of this already and only posted here for my own convenience in talking with bioxx and co. you want to add to it, click the pretty link I presented to you all that sends you to the IRC.

That's not exactly how discussions work lol

We're not trying to discuss with you but with the rest of the community.

Agreed. If you just wanted it to be for yourself, then you should have just made it a text file and saved it on your computer or something. Instead, you put it in an OPEN forum where people are supposed to discuss things, then get frustrated for people discussing the idea.

And anyway, I don't see anything wrong with discussing this. Even if it is for your organisation, you could always just look at the OP and ignore the discussion. :)

Bricks should be made my chiseling a smooth stone to a brick size and then mining it.

/ignoring the no discussing thing.

Bricks should be made my chiseling a smooth stone to a brick size and then mining it.

Because this 75 % resource loss will totally make the game harder.

Because this 75 % resource loss will totally make the game harder.

It'll create the necessity of having a bricksmith in a community.

sir, theres a difference between difficulty and tedium

does it really make sense to have to dig out a 4 metre area of solid stone just to make a one metre block of bricks?

all that "lost" material has to go somewhere

how about, stone block in crafting table with chisel makes 4 stone bricks, and then you have to put those together with mortar or some form of support to make actual block out of them

A guy who's sole purpose on a server will be to reduce the blocks of stone in size? Right, that is the most interesting profession I have heard of there, everyone will want to do that!

Ceramic bricks anyone? After all, stone bricks were, and still are, rarely used in construction. Most brick structures, especially in pre-industrial times have been made of sand, mud, or clay (and trace amounts of other materials); even nowadays, most structures which make use of stone bricks only use it aesthetically, as stone is a notoriously poor choice as a building material in nearly every aspect. Concrete bricks is another idea, as even in ancient times civilizations such as the Roman Empire made many of their more ambitious structures with them, most notably the Colosseum and Pantheon in Rome.

All-in-all, stone and stone bricks are somewhat unrealistic historically, considering there are more popular and less tedious ways of making sturdy building materials with items already available in the mod.

All-in-all, stone and stone bricks are somewhat unrealistic historically, considering there are more popular and less tedious ways of making sturdy building materials with items already available in the mod.

Stone bricks are not historically unrealistic, in medieval times they used them for castles and cathedrals many time, why? because the were hard to destroy with more stones. But they didnt make a full wall of stone bricks, they made just the outside of stone bricks, to resist the attacks, and the inside of some sort of mortar with loose stones.The Chinese used compressed dirt with dry vegetation and some mortar.

Attached source

Stone bricks are not historically unrealistic, in medieval times they used them for castles and cathedrals many time, why? because the were hard to destroy with more stones. But they didnt make a full wall of stone bricks, they made just the outside of stone bricks, to resist the attacks, and the inside of some sort of mortar with loose stones.The Chinese used compressed dirt with dry vegetation and some mortar.

Yes, but while stone buildings do in fact exist, they are quite rare and require extreme amounts of labor to build. Mining, hauling, and shaping stone isn't worth the effort for anything short of a mega-structure. Rarely would you find a common building made of stone before the industrial revolution.

Gypsum and lime where used in roman concrete right? We have that already in game.. But maybe, make concrete like the finite water? takes like 2 buckets full to fill a 2x2 area? and takes a set amount of days to dry?

So stone bricks are supposed to be hard to build.

Maybe just making lines along the edges of a raw stone block will drop 4 bricks?