Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
psychocannon

TerraFirmaCraft Ruined Minecraft for me.....

42 posts in this topic

Hey all,

This is Cannon saying Hi and I'm going to be around a while as TFC has me hooked :)

I've been playing MC since early Beta and I stumbled across TFC when checking out MinecraftMuse (now Spumwhack) on Youtube and I just had to give this mod a shot.

I have to say I got hooked almost straight away (after a few stumbles trying to install the mod - again Youtube to the rescue).

I've been working away from home this weekend (Manchester) so took my laptop with me but sadly even with Optimine which runs Vanilla fine on my laptop, the poor thing just couldn't cope with TFC mod.

I decided I'd play Vanilla for a bit to kill time...and 10 minutes in as I'm smelting my 64 stack of Iron and thinking of expanding my huge house...I stopped....and realised I was bored stupid....even as I eyed up the amazing seed I'd lucked out on which I'd normally be making a mega build plan for....I just couldn't help feel it was just too easy....but two minutes of jerking around

TFC as my laptop valiantly tried to cope, I realised It was a good thing I got a new Ian M Banks book (The Hydrogen Sonata) on my way up to read in the hotel =p

So I'd like to say to the Dev's, Grats on such an amazing mod!! ...and curse you =p *shake fist*

I've even gone out and gotten a Server (and installed it in 5 minutes! so easy!) to try and get my mates playing =p

Once we've gotten going and confirmed I'm keeping the server I'll add it to the list here but it's only an 8 player at the moment and there are 5 of us playing MC regularly :)

Look forward to sharing adventures tips and creations with you all :)

I've been working away from home this weekend (Manchester) so took my laptop with me but sadly even with Optimine which runs Vanilla fine on my laptop, the poor thing just couldn't cope with TFC mod

Playing MC/TFC here on a nearly fiv-year-old Notebook - not even a gaming configuration. SSP is also for me not playable - but playing on a server means around 35 FPS what's more than enough. You know, there are also 'Mods' like FPS++ (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1350464-146fishtacos-mods-fps-lava-decay-fog-key-and-more/) that can give you 5-10 frames more, if your processor is the bottleneck of your system?

I know how you feel:D

When I play TFC for some while and my friend then comes up with "Hey want to play mod XYZ with me?" I allways end up getting bored so soon. Theres no feeling of accomplishing anything. Its just too easy and TFC is the thing that gives the feeling of survival I allways missed in Minecraft:P

I'm pretty sure it's CPU yes :)

Ironically I've just found (by accident) that running it windowed in a small window seems to help...I was messing about with seeds on SSP to find a good one for the server and I've actually been able to play as long as the game is windowed to like a 8" window....XD

Not ideal but means I get my fix while I'm travelling or stuck in a hotel somewhere until I get a proper gaming laptop =p

Cycrow.....why do I know that name......

*Edit: You in the X-Universe community by chance?

I know how you feel:D

When I play TFC for some while and my friend then comes up with "Hey want to play mod XYZ with me?" I allways end up getting bored so soon. Theres no feeling of accomplishing anything. Its just too easy and TFC is the thing that gives the feeling of survival I allways missed in Minecraft:P

same here, also, saw you on the IRC yesterday, so

WELCUM TO TEH FOREMZZZZ

no but seriously, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

That's the typical side effect of playing TFC for a while. You get better than pros at vanilla as fast as you adapt to the difficulty level in TFC. I have experienced it too. I had no need to strip mine for getting a diamond tools, weapons and armor set, with some extra diamonds laying around. It's just amazingly easy.

What are your laptop specs, psychocannon, so I can see what spots requires improvement (unless you already have a finished plan on purchasing parts for building a new PC)?

I really would like to see the well-known MineCraft YouTubers (Antvenom, Captainsparklez, Paulsoaresjr, CavemanFilms, etc. etc.) pitted against the best TFC players.

Before I discovered TFC, I was bored of the unrealistic aspects of MineCraft and thought of a realistic modification similar to this one; except it's more of a simulator. When I discovered TFC on a Direwolf20 Mod Spotlight video, I dropped my idea altogether and played this all the way (exaggeration) to present day.

Antvenom

AntVenom is such a shit Minecraft player, it amazes me how he got popular. I watched a video of him trying to play a custom Santa map and he was failing so hard. 15 minutes to kill something that would take me 5 or 10, and his talking... omg so annoying.

He's shit and doesn't deserve his popularity.

AntVenom is such a shit Minecraft player, it amazes me how he got popular. I watched a video of him trying to play a custom Santa map and he was failing so hard. 15 minutes to kill something that would take me 5 or 10, and his talking... omg so annoying.

He's shit and doesn't deserve his popularity.

noted -_-

i disagree with your hate on antvenom, if solely because he also does a lot of good vids such as mod and seed spotlights, its his fandom that truly annoys the shit out of me, buncha 8 year olds at times -_------

anyway, how would you propose to actually pit TFC vs vanilla? there is no competetive thing both train equally, if anything TFC players would loze due to lack of javelins and meals :D

(although perhaps someone could create a sort of olympics, with objectives both in TFC and in vanilla, which should be equally do-able (so a chisel competition or something like that :D)

Hah I actually tried to throw my sword at a skellie in Vanilla >_<, seriously you've destroyed minecraft for me you bastards, you wonderful wonderful bastards :)

Thanks for the welcome :)

It's been at least....10 years...since I was last on IRC...need to look up how to use it again >_<

Maybe pickup my anime streams again! hehe, gotta rebuild the old library after I lost my backup harddrive WHILST formatting my live drive ...>_>

My laptop is a crappy old thing off Ebay for work while on the move and chosen for it's ability to use web based applications and spreadsheets =p

Windows 7 Pro 64

4GB Ram (I don't know the speed or type without opening it up =p)

Intel Duel Core 2.5GHz (P8700)

Mobile Intel Series 4 Graphics (onboard and latest drivers basically)

1 HDD 5.4kRPM 100GB partitioned into 60 and 40.

It's old and probably in need of a reformatting and has taken some beatings (someone appears to have used it as a target for an air rifle at some point....) but it does the job bless it.

It runs about 2GB Ram used and swings between lows of 60%cpu and 100% when running TFC =p

Oddly it seems to have settled down since I started posting on the forums and is playable now even full screen =p Go figure.

(not hugely mind, very slow to update block changes and fighting hostiles just isn't a good idea ,I have a hard time spearing the teleporting pigs, Ender pigs!!)

My laptop is a crappy old thing off Ebay for work while on the move and chosen for it's ability to use web based applications and spreadsheets =p

Windows 7 Pro 64

4GB Ram (I don't know the speed or type without opening it up =p)

Intel Duel Core 2.5GHz (P8700)

Mobile Intel Series 4 Graphics (onboard and latest drivers basically)

1 HDD 5.4kRPM 100GB partitioned into 60 and 40.

It's old and probably in need of a reformatting and has taken some beatings (someone appears to have used it as a target for an air rifle at some point....) but it does the job bless it.

It runs about 2GB Ram used and swings between lows of 60%cpu and 100% when running TFC =p

Oddly it seems to have settled down since I started posting on the forums and is playable now even full screen =p Go figure.

(not hugely mind, very slow to update block changes and fighting hostiles just isn't a good idea ,I have a hard time spearing the teleporting pigs, Ender pigs!!)

You really require a new computer (Or maybe another laptop).

Need to upgrade everything, which is going to cost you a pretty penny.

anyway, how would you propose to actually pit TFC vs vanilla? there is no competetive thing both train equally, if anything TFC players would loze due to lack of javelins and meals :D

(although perhaps someone could create a sort of olympics, with objectives both in TFC and in vanilla, which should be equally do-able (so a chisel competition or something like that :D)

Well... it's more of a Hunger Games-style competition, where we pit said MineCraft YouTubers against our best TerraFirmaCraft players. These players are formed into two opposing teams, and must use their expertise to reach the Iron Age. They are seperated from each other (to prevent cheating), and earn points based on how well they survive. First team to reach the Iron Age and/or have the higher point value before time runs out wins the competition.

Need to upgrade everything, which is going to cost you a pretty penny.

Well... it's more of a Hunger Games-style competition, where we pit said MineCraft YouTubers against our best TerraFirmaCraft players. These players are formed into two opposing teams, and must use their expertise to reach the Iron Age. They are seperated from each other (to prevent cheating), and earn points based on how well they survive. First team to reach the Iron Age and/or have the higher point value before time runs out wins the competition.

well, it should be played once in vanilla and once in TFC, else the one with the more playhours will win, also a tfc iron race will still take up several hours of vid time, perhaps something simpler :D

Or playing on SMP what gives me on a similar machine 35-40 FPS that are more than enough for TFC.

Of course, there are many ways to make out the worst of your machine if you don't proper setup you OS.

Here is running:

4GB Ram

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz (T5550)

okay, and a SSD since christmas - old HHD was on the way to its nirvana...

Using Optifine, FPS++, running a clean & well set up system, giving MC/Java a proper amount of Ram and (not at) least - playing the game on a Server! TFC is not the main problem - it's 1.4.x what makes MC nearly unplayable on older machines in SSP. But if you let a Server handle the problem, you should do just fine - also with your Notebook.

to be precise, its the portion of 1.4+ that makes your singleplayerworld into a local server that literally clogs up your entire system, perhaps some good coder could find a fix around that particular bit :D

well, it should be played once in vanilla and once in TFC, else the one with the more playhours will win, also a tfc iron race will still take up several hours of vid time, perhaps something simpler :D

A TFC Bronze race? Actually, scratch that, the two teams are to be surviving by living off the land for seven days. There are five rounds, with each day subtracted by one day. Each team is graded on their overall survival per round. These rounds get much more difficult as teams advanced further into the finale. The team who earned the most survival points wins the game; the ending of the round has no reward for whoever had the higher pointage.

Cycrow.....why do I know that name......

*Edit: You in the X-Universe community by chance?

*sigh* I feel so bad for needing to tell people I yoinked my nickname off the Name from a guy creating scripts on the X-universe Forums. Apperantly, no Iam not that Cycrow. But his Nickname gets more popular by the Hour. 3 People named like in Origin, some even in League of Legends and so on. They're just everywhere and I hate to see that. It was such a unique Name.

A TFC Bronze race? Actually, scratch that, the two teams are to be surviving by living off the land for seven days. There are five rounds, with each day subtracted by one day. Each team is graded on their overall survival per round. These rounds get much more difficult as teams advanced further into the finale. The team who earned the most survival points wins the game; the ending of the round has no reward for whoever had the higher pointage.

hmm, where did your picture go? :D not good for making yourself an individual. also, even if they would agree with these challenges, we'd need skilled grading points and graders from both TFC and vanilla, whom are unbiased (i could do that for example) to grade it properly :D one thing you forget is that TFC people will have a MASSIVE advantage in TFC, over those that dont, yet still have the same level of skill in vanilla, to remedy this i'd suggest making the competition in both vanilla and TFC, else TFC people are overskilled :D)

I myself would like to see how the Vanilla YouTuber 's compare Vanilla and TFC i wish TFC had more popularity ive begged Direwolf20 on each of his video's to revisit TFC , TFC has more changes and is more fun and acomplyshing than his modpack alltogether . Also about a competition i don't want TFC players to have a knowledge lead of how to play it i would like that the youtubers were thought how it works whitout playing TFC

After playing TFC, I need to install (many) serious tech mods or something to break up the monotony of vanilla. This is also why I keep wanting mod devs to make their mods compatible, including myself.

In the meantime, where's my tin pickaxe? I need to get some copper or something!

hmm, where did your picture go? :D not good for making yourself an individual. also, even if they would agree with these challenges, we'd need skilled grading points and graders from both TFC and vanilla, whom are unbiased (i could do that for example) to grade it properly :D one thing you forget is that TFC people will have a MASSIVE advantage in TFC, over those that dont, yet still have the same level of skill in vanilla, to remedy this i'd suggest making the competition in both vanilla and TFC, else TFC people are overskilled :D)

I ran out of ideas for new photos, so this is my profile image, :D. Well, this competition is actually for a different purpose; demonstrating how even Vanilla pros can't even play TFC.

I ran out of ideas for new photos, so this is my profile image, :D. Well, this competition is actually for a different purpose; demonstrating how even Vanilla pros can't even play TFC.

TFC is really a different game than vanilla, and that is somewhat akin to saying something like "Even the BEST Zelda players can't play Mario." Of course, less exaggerated than that, but to be honest, the mechanics of TFC are fully different from Vanilla.

its not ones purpose to feel superior over the other, one may compete for fun, to determine which is nicer or harder to play, but not to feel superior to another :D

seriously, bring antvenom in here for a few days and hes back up to par, perhaps not finetuned like we are but still.

I usually find vanilla too simple nowadays, though I do enjoy hardcore mode a fair bit (until i die, lol). I kind of switch between TFC and some tech modpacks (technic, mindcrack, ftb, dw20 etc). I feel vanilla is probably perfectly designed as it is, easy to learn, quick to draw you in et cetera, and then you can "specialize" the gameplay experience by modpacks - for hardcore survivalism, TFC, and for massive automated stuff, techmods.

EDIT: I don't feel the vanilla has gotten that much easier by learning TFC, though. Now, I haven't teched that far into TFC, but still... I feel they're too different for stuff learnt in TFC to be useful in vanilla, mostly.