Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Rook

Clay Mechanics for the Clueless Developer

70 posts in this topic

Good evening all, after doing a bit of poking around on the forum I noticed that earlier in development, the general board would accumulate +30 topics a month describing the excruciatingly painful process of finding clay, a crucial element in the game.

When rocks break down through mechanical or chemical weathering, they create soil. There are different kinds of soil. There is silt, clay and sand. We seemed to have nailed the silt and sand, but for some reason clay is now a scarcity in a world made primarily of dirt.

"Clay is a naturally occurring mineral found on the earth’s crust. It has natural plasticity and can be harden when dried or fired. It is found all over the world below the top soil and is usually dug up from the ground."

No, clay is not the same thing as wet dirt. Clay is dry, not exclusive to riverbanks, and found literally everywhere in the world, from your back yard to the Sahara desert, you are going to find clay literally everywhere you dig. I can't possibly fathom why this hasn't been fixed yet. Walking around for hours on end looking for something that should pretty much be everywhere you go is just stupid and not fun in the slightest.

I would recommend that, when the player digs any dirt, there is a chance he will get some clay. That makes everyone happy.

http://wanttoknowit....clay-come-from/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay

You could probably go about making a suggestion without insulting Bioxx and Dunk.....

If you can I ask that you change the title of the post.

Thanks

Clueless is a term of endearment in Swaziland.

suuuuuuurrrreeee....

As well as "Bastard" in non-existantland

As well as "Bastard" in non-existantland

That is not a country.

That is not a country.

Posted Image

I must not be very good at reading topographical maps. I could not find that country anywhere, unless you were being sarcastic, which would be a very immature thing to do when talking about a serious subject.

Call me inmature, then. I know Swaziland does exist, but there is no way for any of us (except you, of course) to confirm what you are saying is true; therefore, it's pretty much like what i replied, regardless of wether the location refered in the sentence is or isn't real.

On topic though, while you are pretty much right (i think), the fact something so important as clay has remained untouched for so long regardless of all this complains makes me think this scarce, vein like generation of clay is a fully intentional feature. It's just my opinion, though, and i don't really have that much evidence to back it up, other than what i mentioned before.

The fact that you and others are having trouble finding clay is because you aren't looking in the right places. Contrary to vanilla my clay is not tied to rivers or water. It is merely tied to elevation. I don't know the number offhand but let's say that clay will only generate at 148 or lower.

You also need to keep in mind that tfc clay can have grass growing on top as well as the sides. So chances are that you're walking right over the stuff.

I never have any issues finding clay, aside from the occasional walking over the deposit right next to my house a few times before noticing it. Regardless of the spot I settle down in, I almost always find clay within a few hundred blocks. Simply find low lying land like bioxx said around 148 or whatever, and every now and again dig a small random one block hole with a shovel. Scanning river beds, and coast line is also an effective way to find clay.

You also need to keep in mind that tfc clay can have grass growing on top as well as the sides. So chances are that you're walking right over the stuff.

There's "Better Grass" option in config files, right? Can one just turn it off to get more clear vision of things?

Edit:

Oh, and

Beta v2 Build 47

Tweaks

• Max height of Clay and Peat spawning reduced from 150 to 147. They may be harder to spot now, but they are still there, just beneath the grass.
Beta v2 Build 49i

Bug Fixes

• Clay should no longer appear in areas of dry grass.

Contrary to vanilla clay is not tied to rivers or water. It is merely tied to elevation. I don't know the number offhand but let's say that clay will only generate at 148 or lower.

This would've been useful information to have in the wiki, the way it's worded suggests that it only spawns on the sides of riverbanks.

This would've been useful information to have in the wiki, the way it's worded suggests that it only spawns on the sides of riverbanks.

The wiki is pretty much useless.

The wiki is pretty much useless.

That's not something that should just roll off the tongue and be accepted.

Then ask to get on the team that modifies it if you can help, wikis are public and only as good as they were last updated, this isn't unique to TFC.

...ask to get on the team that modifies it if you can help...

I laughed at this notion.

I laughed at this notion.

Why? He was being serious; instead of you bashing the wiki (and it's updaters), why don't you go out, and help make it better?

Why? He was being serious; instead of you bashing the wiki (and it's updaters), why don't you go out, and help make it better?

Think long and hard about it.

May I help with this riddle?

Trolls are known for hang out under bridges, eating living children and stinking - not for doing helpful stuff like adding content to a wiki.

Trolls are known for hang out under bridges, eating living children and stinking - not for doing helpful stuff like adding content to a wiki.

I heard troll.. Someone called?Posted Image

Can you find me?

don't know whats with the buthurt about clay. i have always found it everywhere. i cant go 2 km without finding at least 3 deposits

I was thinking more along the lines that you all hate me and I hate all of you. I'd love to fix the wiki for what it's worth.

Terrible riddle by the way. This is the second time today I've been called a troll. Disappointing.

EDIT: Lets not forget that I signed up yesterday. I'm not a troll, but I very well could have been, and you were about to give me access to the wiki?

It isn't US that give you access to editing the wiki. It is a moderator. Apply on this thread:

Yea... I was going to post something but then figured it would be akin to speaking to drywall for the most part.

So... are trolls goblinoid in nature? Or something entirely different. That's my question.....