Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Rook

Spelunking.

94 posts in this topic

What is your problem?

just leave it squid, it seems he has a need to insult anyone who doesn't completely agree with him

I said this earlier. Your move.

Caves have large parts, yes, thank you professor fu*king oak, you just made a breakthrough in natural science. They aren't comprised entirely of large parts. The vista's you posted were single parts in a large nest of small hallways.

Is it really necessary to reply to Just_Another_Guy_:) like that? Both sides have great points; like Unavailableartist stated, you and the TFC users have great points and arguments. But is it really the way we should argue like this? With insults and hate?

rook, the more im reading on you, the more im split between 2 ideas: your arguments are good, you actually research and seem passionate about you, but your attitude comes across like someone that everyone needs to agree with on the pain of death, a very dislikeable personality. that is the ONLY thing that makes people here dislike you, and any disagreements in here are done because we disagree with the points, we dont disagree on stuff on personal basis (except for a few, such as yourself in my opinion)

lol I simply dont understand any of Rooks objections to the caves. There are narrow passageways that go on and on and on. You can easily get lost in them. Granted they arent 1x2 or whatever utter nonsense Rook is suggesting, they do vary in size, and in length. Often times large casms intersect one another, and a myrid of the smaller cave tunnels. Some used to contain water (havent seen any on this build yet*), and the stalagtites make TFC caves much better than vanilla caves. The crappy mineshafts are gone, and ive personally seen alot of very cool, interesting cave formations on a number of different seeds. Crystal caves would be awesome, along with other small additions to the caves, but 1x2 tunnels is just a bad ides.. if I wanted boring ass hallways to walk around in, I would have stayed in my mines...

I'm going to argue once then go back to ignoring you, like everyone else here should. I'll be polite about it to the best of my abilities, I except the same out of you, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you can throw a temper tantrum. We all get it, caves do exist in small thin sections, whether flat or tall, I've seen them too, if this game was not made of such large cubes this would be a fabulous idea to be realistic. But what I'm sure your "research" has shown as that Minecraft is a world of cubes and we don't aim for realism. The goal is for us to implement ideas that are both believable and in some way help gameplay.

Now here is where I'm going to need your attention, while an occasional 2x2 cave wouldn't look that bad aesthetically, anything smaller than that looks either man-made or like complete shit, there simply isn't enough detail in these large meter cubes for it to look anything resembling the amazing caves I'm sure you have explored. I suppose we could try to use microblocks but isn't as easy as it sounds I would assume.

Trust me, I love those tight exciting caves too, but despite being realistic they will make our caves look like shit, that isn't a good trade-off. This adds no gameplay value, makes our caves look cheap, discourages cave exploration, interferes with fundamental ideas of both TFC and Minecraft (believability over realism), was poorly presented, confuses new players, is easily bypassable with a pick, destroys many ideas of future cave expansions, and frankly I don't like you.

I have to agree with bsb. I went out of my way to try to like you Rook, but basically every responce you have made to any form of critisim has been rude, and very immature. You act like everything about this game is pure shit and you dont understand why "Clueless Developers" would build such a pile of shit. Well if you dont like the mod then how about you gtfo. Providing constructive critisism is how we refine ideas into something the developers might actually implement. Assuming that your ideas are unasailable, calling people names, insulting the developers, and making rash judgements about the content of a game, which through your posts it has become clear you have very little experience with is tiring, rude, and pretty much entirely unwelcome. New members have a long standing history of having rocky starts here on the forums, and yours was no exception. The only real difference I see is that you actually deserve a good portion of the flaming you receive.

This is one of the reasons I love what could become of Blockscape so much, instead of squares things can have angles, you can have big smooth, sloping crevasses into the ground, tight claustrophobic corridors and also the great large caves, I'd love if minecraft could do that.

But it really can't.

This is one of the reasons I love what could become of Blockscape so much, instead of squares things can have angles, you can have big smooth, sloping crevasses into the ground, tight claustrophobic corridors and also the great large caves, I'd love if minecraft could do that.

But it really can't.

well, we could have them generate the microblocks in caves so that they look round-ish and more natural then being entirely composed of metre cubes

noodles, memory kill inbound, every detailed block = 300x the memory of a regular block :D

noodles, memory kill inbound, every detailed block = 300x the memory of a regular block

well not on every single block in the entire game, just some of the smaller caves that are more like fissures, would have them instead of just being a 1x2 hallway

The only issue is really resource requirement versus the gameplay value. Unless TFCII manages to recode detailed blocks and make them much easier on memory this won't really be a thing. Because for it to really matter you would need quite a few branching throughout the caves, which would probably make all of your RAM explode, and otherwise if they were much less common they wouldn't be that noticeable.

My RAM can take it t(^.^t)

My RAM can take it t(^.^t)

oh you and your good computers that arent 7 years old....

there simply isn't enough detail in these large meter cubes for it to look anything resembling the amazing caves I'm sure you have explored.

I did a few experiments in-game, and it feels believable. To me, that is.

Right then... onto cave aesthetics?

Crystals have been mentioned in a thread here in the suggestion area. Worth a good look-see.

Endolith would be a flavorful implementation adding a visual flavor, as would actual lime formations. But really, aside from endolith and mineral deposits, the only other thing that might be found in a crevasse devoid of light would be blind cave fish, bats, and the occasional fungal colony.

There are definitely some unique spots where massive cave entrance have become thriving hotspots for both Flora and fauna but finding something like that in tfc would be a world Gen thang as such places develop over very long periods of time.

I like the concept of twisting tunnels and antichambers, grottos, and passages, but the reward of exploration is having something to find, right, I mean... IMHO... unless aesthetics or crypts are added, exploring elaborate cave systems lacking any ambient character can become a non rewarding experience for most people. Not all.... but most.

The question is. Should these crystals only be for aesthetics? Why not have them drop the gems of TFC as well?

Sorry

Why are you..apologising?

Show them Rook....

Here are my before and after pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now here what I've done... a little more different.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

see I've made walls and in the halls... you could even retexture those stones to look like the molten dissolving stone or whatever....

You literally read my mind, lol. I just finished a collage of pictures that I whipped up quick.

Posted Image

Granted I'm not the most brilliant terraformer around, and that probably doesn't resemble a real cave very well (based on memory from a cave in Russia), but you get the general idea. Tell me that doesn't look x30 more fun to explore than the vanilla minecraft caves.

Now, take that, and add the other chambers and ponds that come with it. Throw the crystals and stalac / stalag formations in and wazzam, you've got an actual cave.

equal interesting as a dark cavern with some lava in the distance :D

Agreed killster, I dont see much of anything in terms of changes with the exception of random cobble, and the addition of some water :/

my friend, i didnt badger your idea, i said they are just as interesting a the current caves, which indicates its a good thing, unless you cant understand even that basic thinking logic.

The water is a good idea, as well as the crystal caves thing. I was pointing out that TFC caves arent quite the blank section on your crudely rendered graph... and that TFC caves as is + water is a good idea.

Agreed killster, I dont see much of anything in terms of changes with the exception of random cobble, and the addition of some water

MDub

Huh.... some people... just don't care either way. If we can sway some more rook... they'll consider this... don't let him bother you.

equal interesting as a dark cavern with some lava in the distance :D

You can't blame him for feeling frustrated with the response after that MDub's remark.... Killster.... I worked hard on my version of the cave... I even got authentic raw stone!!!! :D. And your remark could've been either way...

Anyways I'm glad at least 2 of you liked my work :D

afternoon, all

Posted Image

i've been speaking to Rook for a while now after discovering that we were both spelunkers, neat guy. just fyi, he's a schizoid with a bad case of GAD and insomnia, and a minor case of schizophrenia, and thus irritability and aggression is a symptom lol.

in his defense, as a caver, I've come to agree with everything he's said here. in a nutshell, he was asking for "narrower caves" and "water weathered features". something minecraft painfully lacks, yet it's absence is quite subtle. he posted one or two diagrams in another thread. minecraft caves look more like small round alienanic pods in the earth, they're kinda unexplained tbh, what he's described here is actually a very realistic representation of a cave in real life. the caves at the bottom of the map with the lava is more comparable to the center of the earth rather than an actual volcanic under-cave. besides, if we have all this lava under the map, where are the volcanoes?

Good riddens to bad rubbish.