Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Rook

Waiting.

18 posts in this topic

I'm not sure about how the forum feels about multiple unrelated suggestion threads. In the most respectful way possible I don't really care either.

When I say 'waiting' I don't mean the most exemplified element of TFCraft, I mean the ability to wait through nights and days when you have literally nothing to do but wait for your trees and plants to grow. We can already sorta do this with NEI but that's unreliable and makes me feel like a dirt-bag cheater so I'd much rather have an actual game implementation, like a rocking chair you can right click, that lets you choose to skip a certain amount of days. In these skipped days, crops and trees still grow.

the issue is that you cannot apply this on a multiplayer scale, for nights, you can use beds, and for days, multitask a different job in maybe? i never find myself literally passing time with nothing to do, unless its cuz im lazy.

NEI has a system that works. I'm happy with my home and my tools and my armor, so I built several farms.

well then, this post wasnt of much use was it?

well then, this post wasnt of much use was it?

???

The reason why I'm asking is because normally when I make a charcoal pit I have absolutely nothing to do except wait for the charcoal pit to turn into charcoal. When I'm running my farm I have nothing to do but wait until the farm is ready for harvest.

It's boring. Seriously.

make charcoal pit, run the farm, explore for new resources or metals, build something, create a goal. in any instance of minecraft or its mods, you need to assign any goals YOURSELF.

That is the point of a sandbox game. In other games, there is a set goal for you to finish, but in sandbox games, such as Minecraft, there is no goal. The point of the game is to let our imagination take control within the expanse of the game.

In minecraft, you would explore, or build, and in terrafirmacraft, smith...there is tons for you to do.

Yeah but to do those things I kinda need unshaped metal, for which I need charcoal for the bloomery.

so make multiple and go find more metal in the mean time

But my chests are full of ore. I can't smelt it without charcoal. Charcoal takes a while to make.

actually... this is not bad in the least. Obviously it would not function in MP and in fact I would personally disable it for it, but in single player this would remove the biggest hurdle in game: Sitting around doing nothing because everything takes forever to grow. +1 because bumping is better then saying nothing and just liking.

If we wanted to give you the option to wait through these things, we wouldn't have made them take so long in the first place >_>

Then you should break compatibility with NEI. It's not about whether or not I should use the wait function, it's how it should be implemented. I'll skip days no matter what in TFCraft, this just makes it functional without further mods.

Then you should break compatibility with NEI. It's not about whether or not I should use the wait function, it's how it should be implemented. I'll skip days no matter what in TFCraft, this just makes it functional without further mods.

I'm not going to break compatibility with NEI just because you skip time, I only meant I'm not going to go to the trouble of implementing in TFC, which is what this suggestion is requesting

Rook, if you use an external mod, your consequence, but they are not going to add the function in, thats all, if you want to cheat, go on ahead, but dont expect the rest of us to go along and cheat with you, or disable a widely used system because it allows this optional cheat.

you could also maybe plan stuff out better. if you find yourself in a position where you have litterally nothing to do but wait on charcoal, then you have a poor strategy to remain engaged in TFC. Do things like make simple shelter, gather wood and rocks, start making your charcoal pit as you secure food and other starter resources, then light your pit and continue to do those types of things EG make chests for future goods, secure enough stone for a small house when you do have metal tools, gather wild crops/meat for food, ink for plans, anything.... Finding yourself in a position with nothing to do in TFC is because youre playing wrong, virtually everything about the game is designed to require your time.

you could also maybe plan stuff out better. if you find yourself in a position where you have litterally nothing to do but wait on charcoal, then you have a poor strategy to remain engaged in TFC. Do things like make simple shelter, gather wood and rocks, start making your charcoal pit as you secure food and other starter resources, then light your pit and continue to do those types of things EG make chests for future goods, secure enough stone for a small house when you do have metal tools, gather wild crops/meat for food, ink for plans, anything.... Finding yourself in a position with nothing to do in TFC is because youre playing wrong, virtually everything about the game is designed to require your time.

I wouldn't exactly say that he is playing wrong. As was said before TFC is a sandbox game. Each person plays it his or her own way. There's nothing wrong with doing things step by step if that is simply how you like to do things. On the flip-side, the game shouldn't be altered in a major way because of one particular person's playing style. The mod creators have created this game with a specific vision in place and the difficulty of obtaining things like charcoal are just a part of that.

One thing I might suggest as a solution Rook; if you have the ability to do so, try creating your own server. Then you can let the server continue to run while you do other RL things and can return to the game when it is finished. I've done that before with my own personal server. It's a nice alternative to all the waiting around that can happen in SSP.

Having accidentally wound up in the same scenario Rook is describing before, here's my suggestion (what I actually did, that is:)

Set up somewhere secure for your character to stand (build a box around yourself, essentially)

AFK for ten minutes. Spend the time on RL tasks like doing the dishes or drinking a beer or eating food.

When you're back, your charcoal is ready. Victory achieved.